CCP, ,CCL, CWP, CWL, CPL, CCW, CGP, Tomato, Tomahto....Huh?


January 3, 2003, 11:14 PM
Alright, lets get this one acronym straight. Is it a Concealed Carry Permit? Concealed Weapon Law, Concealed Gun Permit, Concealed Carry Weapon? Secret Agent Device?

Is there a standard phrase? The piece of paper you carry (laminated or not) is a Concealed Carry Permit, or CCP. Or maybe a Concealed Carry License, or CCL... Geez, I guess I don't know what it is... :confused: :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "CCP, ,CCL, CWP, CWL, CPL, CCW, CGP, Tomato, Tomahto....Huh?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Captain Bligh
January 3, 2003, 11:29 PM
It depends what state you're in. In Indiana, it's a "License to Carry Handgun," "License Type: Personal Protection." You won't find the word "concealed" anywhere on the permit.

We have a second kind of permit that allows the holder to have possession of a handgun to/from the range or field. Most people carry the broader personal protection permit.


January 3, 2003, 11:31 PM
Although the actual terminology varies from state to state, CCW seems to be the generic reference term on gun boards.

January 3, 2003, 11:45 PM
What Tamara said.

In WA state, it's a CPL. I never call it that, online.


January 4, 2003, 12:33 AM
Ladies correct.
I'm guilty of using others
I have 2 CCW, both use different terms

January 4, 2003, 12:36 AM
In case it comes up in a game of Trivial Pursuit, in Tennessee it's an HCP and in Georgia it's a GFL. :)

January 4, 2003, 12:39 AM
Here in Oregon it is CHL (concealed handgun license).


January 4, 2003, 12:41 AM
Florida: "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License"

January 4, 2003, 12:48 AM
My non-res FL, I /we just call it "non-res FL" creative huh?
Around the range its "got paper"

January 4, 2003, 03:51 AM
Yep...In Arkansas it is a "CHL."

Even says it on the liscense.

I personally refer to it as a CCW.

Although I've actually never heard it called "CHL" as all of the instructors and cops that I know call it a CCW. Go figure...:confused:

January 4, 2003, 07:05 AM
Here in NC it's a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). The instructor I had made it very clear it would ONLY cover handguns. No concealed shotguns, sub-machine guns, etc.

January 4, 2003, 12:16 PM
in ky it goes ccdw....

concealed carry of a deadly weapon.... so i'm covered if i have a club, tire iron in the truck too...

January 4, 2003, 12:33 PM
PA is license to carry firearm.

Say, what's the difference between a license and permit (too lazy to look it up)?:neener:

January 4, 2003, 01:56 PM
My Tennessee license is called a "Handgun Carry Permit". I usually use the generic descriptive phrase "CCW" over the 'net.

January 4, 2003, 03:16 PM
Yeah, you forgot HCP :D.

January 4, 2003, 09:56 PM
Okla. ccw....

January 4, 2003, 10:31 PM
CFP in Utah.

My CC instructor made it clear that the law allows for a concealed firearm and anything you can put under your cover garment is fair game.

On discussion forums I generally refer to it as a CCW or CHL.

January 4, 2003, 10:42 PM
Okay, so CCW seems to be popular. But thats a Concealed Carry Weapon. Often, posters use CCW to refer to the chunk of paper they carry. That ain't a CCW. Thats a CCP, or concealed carry permit.

I know this is probably anal... but what the heck. It gets confusing when people refer to a chunk of paper as a weapon! :scrutiny:

January 4, 2003, 11:05 PM
In NH, it says in big print "Pistol/Revolver License"
then in tiny print "a License to Carry a Pistol or Revolver is issued to". The Statue is titled "License to Carry".

But AFAIK I've never heard anyone call it any thing but a pistol pemit or a carry permit.

January 4, 2003, 11:35 PM
But thats a Concealed Carry Weapon

Carry Concealed Weapon :D.

January 4, 2003, 11:39 PM
In AZ it's CWP, Concealed Weapon Permit. My CWP instructor said it was for any weapon. Any weapon you can conceal is included.

In TX it was a CHL, Concealed Handgun License.

January 5, 2003, 12:04 AM
We had a PA answer already i think . but anyways . the permit is labelled ''Licence to Carry Firearms'' .... howver, it does seem that CCW has become the de facto generic term.

What the hell ... as long as I can carry I don't mind what it's called!!:)

January 6, 2003, 01:23 PM
Colorado: CWP - Concealed Weapons Permit
New Hampshire: PRL - Pistol/Revolver License

Mine: GGRTSMA - God Given Right To Save My Ass


January 6, 2003, 01:46 PM
CPL (Concealed Pistol License) in Michigan. I think some people automatically thing "felony crime" when they hear CCW.

Dave R
January 6, 2003, 01:54 PM
(...rummage through wallet...)

In Idaho its a Concealed Weapons License. CWP.

January 6, 2003, 06:03 PM
So, unless I missed it, there isn't any state that actually issues a "CCW"?

Can this be true????:confused:

If so, then CCW would fit the description of a generic label for what the states call specific licenses / permits / etc.

How about? Does any state have a true "CCW"?

Oops. Went back and visited earlier posts and found CCW. So enquiring minds want to know... what does it actually stand for there?

Edited for content.

January 6, 2003, 06:09 PM
I was just at the Tucson PD website. CCW and I think it stood for concealed carry of weapons "permit"

If you enjoyed reading about "CCP, ,CCL, CWP, CWL, CPL, CCW, CGP, Tomato, Tomahto....Huh?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!