pistol caliber rifle

PDA

phorvick
September 3, 2004, 12:54 PM
1. I do not hunt, ... this would be for fun/range etc. only

2. interested in .357/.38sp capability

3. suggestions..pros/cons

If you enjoyed reading about "pistol caliber rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brrlgrrl
September 3, 2004, 01:21 PM
I recently picked up a Winchester 94 lever action Trails End in 357. I absolutely love it! Dead on accurate, beautiful Walnut stock, wish I had purchased it sooner. My reasoning on this particular rifle-it shares ammo with Ruger Sp101 hammerless, making it cost efficient.

Murphster
September 3, 2004, 01:22 PM
I think you're wise to ask. I've had two - a Marlin lever action in .45 Colt and a Ruger something or other semi-auto carbine in .40 S&W. The pros are that plinking ammo for pistols is cheaper than most rifle calibers and if you reload for one of those calibers you can take a rifle and pistol to the range with just one kind of ammo. Ditto if you're toting one as a LEO. The ammo thing is why I originally bought them. I'm ready to hear from the the folks who like them, but I didn't like either one of those rifles and got rid of both of them within a month of purchase. I think the bottom line to my dislike was that they (to me) weren't fun to shoot. If I'm going to tote/shoot a rifle, I guess I like to launch something that impacts with more of a wallop than a pistol round. I have a friend who has a Marlin in .45 Colt and he thinks it's great fun to plink with. But (and I'll be in the minority), I found them to be too bland to shoot.

Brian Williams
September 3, 2004, 03:10 PM
I have a Marlin 1894c in 357 with an 18" barrel and it is a great gun to shoot particularly if you reload. It might not thump you on your shoulder but those 158 to 180 gr slugs moving about 1500 fps out of a rifle tend to thump things real well. Here is mine with a couple of sidekicks.
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Rifles/Lever_Actions/357's-1894sw13sw586.jpg

Black Snowman
September 3, 2004, 04:26 PM
I like my friends Marlin 1894C in .44 Mag. Fun gun to shoot.

If you want something in an EBR Oly Arms makes ARs in a wide varity of pistol calibers. 10mm would be closest to .357 Mag in power.

MrMurphy
September 3, 2004, 05:47 PM
Marlin 1894 with a Williams peep or XSS ghost ring. :)

Dave Markowitz
September 3, 2004, 08:12 PM
I have an EMF/ Rossi M1892 Short Rifle in .357. It's a clone of the Winchester 92 with a 20" octagonal barrel, crescent butt, and no barrel bands. It's so much fun it might be illegal. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "pistol caliber rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!