Ten Shots, 4", 1000 yards--Got Your Attention Yet?

PDA

Yo
September 3, 2004, 04:27 PM
So you want an accurate rifle... a REALLY accurate rilfe?

A rifle that can shoot one-holers at 100 yards and 1000-yd groups you can cover with the palm of your hand?

Oh, and you'd like a rifle that will do this with low recoil, virtually no case prep, and 4000-round barrel life?

No, this is not make-believe. The 6mm BR round can do it all. Using just 30gr of powder, a 6BR now holds both the individual Group and 6-target Aggregate 1000yd records. Plus varminters are seeing 1" groups at 300 yards with out-of-the-box Lapua brass.

For more info, check out http://www.6mmbr.com .

This is a shooter-run site. No ads, no lies, no BS. We have message boards, Reader Polls, photo galleries, reloading info, lists of recommended smiths, and technical articles by some of the best tool- and barrel-makers in the business.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ten Shots, 4", 1000 yards--Got Your Attention Yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jonathan
September 3, 2004, 10:54 PM
This 6mm thing sounds pretty good, but can it handle Cooper's 1000 yard challenge?

:D

Dbl0Kevin
September 3, 2004, 11:14 PM
Was that a typo or is that really a 4000 (four thousand) round barrel life? That seems awful small to me, but then again I'm nowhere near an expert on super accurate bolt actions. :confused:

schromf
September 3, 2004, 11:26 PM
that barrel life is pretty good for a benchrest gun. The 6.5x284 has a barrel life if loaded hot of less than 1500. The current record at 1000 yds is with 6.5x284 at around 4" but that is a heavy or unlimited class rifle.

Dbl0Kevin
September 3, 2004, 11:27 PM
Good lord I'd go through a hell of a lotta barrels then! :eek:

Yo
September 4, 2004, 01:24 AM
Re records, there are different sanctioning bodies and different types of records. The Williamspost Light Gun 10-shot group record was set last year by a std 6BR at around 4.2". NBRSA light guns only shoot 5-shots, so the record is much lower. That new 6-target Agg record was set with an 11-lb rifle, competing against 17 pounders.

Cooper's Apollo Challenge is: 20 shots in a 20-inch circle in 20 seconds at 1,000 yards)

The Ace 1000yd BR guys will run 10 shots in 20 seconds with a single-shot bolt-action gun and group in single digits. If you could fit a 20-rd magazine... it just might be possible. I don't see a semi-auto doing it anytime soon....

September 4, 2004, 05:36 AM
I think the Cooper challenge also has to be done from standing or prone without a rest...

Oh, yeah, I've got a friend who builds brench rifles - lightweight to "rail" guns - and shoots them. The last time I went to one of his competitions, the hundred yard winning group was on the order of .144" and the losing group was .187". Most of them were shooting .22PPC based cartridges I think.

JohnKSa
September 4, 2004, 10:01 PM
4000 (four thousand) round barrel life...seems awful small to me...I'd go through a hell of a lotta barrels then!No you wouldn't. Not unless you're shooting well enough and use ammo that's so accurate you can detect a tenth MOA degradation in accuracy.

In fact, one of the BEST deals in rifle barrels is a "shot-out" benchrest barrel. The benchresters will toss them when they're no longer capable of consistently grouping under a fifth of an inch or so at 100 yards. They're still capable of much better accuracy than the rest of us will ever attain and still have LOTS of accurate (sub-MOA) life left in them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ten Shots, 4", 1000 yards--Got Your Attention Yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!