My First C&R gun has arrived!

PDA

monsternav
September 3, 2004, 09:12 PM
Swiss K31 from AIM. Very nice. No name tag under the buttplate though.:confused: Time to break out the cleaning gear and then off to the range. Any suggestions for the next one? Mauser, Moisin, Lee-Enfield? I'll probably end up with at least one of each, but judging from the look I got from Mrs. Nav tonight, I will have to space them out a little!

I need some direction on my "bound book". I have a few questions on the entries. Specifically, manufacturer/importer, and the two dates: the one under description of firearm, and the one under receipt. I am going by the little pamphlet that came with package with my C&R.

If you enjoyed reading about "My First C&R gun has arrived!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geojap
September 3, 2004, 09:53 PM
You should write down a date for the purchase and a date if you sell it. There are no other dates in a bound book record that I am aware of. The importer of your rifle will be etched on the barrel, near the muzzle. It is probably "Century Arms". For a weapon that has not been imported, like an American Winchester Model 12 shotgun, you would write down "Winchester", as it is the manufacturer. I always write down the country of manufacture (like "Switzerland") and then the importer ("CAI" or "Century Arms International")/

Congratulations. Those K-31's are outstanding rifles for the money. Ammo is a little pricey though. Get ready to be poor, this hobby can be very addicting.

There is so much to choose from right now I woulnd't know where to begin. My favorites are Persian Mausers and Finn Mosin Nagants. They are both extremely well made and accurate, surpassing the workmanship of modern rifles by far. Along with your K-31 these would all be the best shooting mil-surps out there (along with a Swedish Mauser maybe).

monsternav
September 3, 2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info on the bound book, their example is a little confusing.

If this one shoots as well as people say, I may have to start reloading! I've been shopping around for ammo. It is pricey!

Persian Mausers and Finn Mosin-Nagants you say? Who has them now, or what should I expect to pay is I find one?

Craig

prezzz
September 3, 2004, 10:39 PM
Any suggestions for the next one?

Yep. You need a Mosin-Nagant M44. They are only about $40 or $50 and pack a massive punch! Talk about muzzle blast? I take mine to the indoor range. If there are a bunch of "punks" in there seeing how fast they can empty the mags on their Ar15's, I break this out and fire about 2 or 3 rounds. About 3 minutes later, I have the entire range to myself.http://members.cox.net/rtset/Gifs/happy15.gif

Cheap to buy. Cheap ammo. Nasty muzzle blast. And LOUD!!! What could be a better next purchase?
http://members.cox.net/rtset/m44%20blast.jpg

geojap
September 3, 2004, 11:51 PM
Like prezzz said, if you want a cheap rifle that is cheap to shoot, get a commie Mosin. They are reliable, a little crude, and have a fascinating history. Most are rearsenalled to excellent condition. They can be had for $50-$100 usually. The Finn Mosins have an even more fascinating history and are very well made. They are true tack drivers. They cost at least $100 and up to $500. $200 is typical AIM surplus www.aimsurplus.com has Russian Mosins, and Wholesale Guns and Ammo has Finns www.gunsnammo.com .

Persian and Swedish Mausers were carried by Samco, but they are just about out. Their offerings are pretty beat up now a days. It's best to find one for sale from an individual. The biggest market for C&R's is the For Sale forum on www.gunboards.com . Good luck!

check this site out: www.mosinnagant.net
For your K-31: www.swissrifles.com

WhoKnowsWho
September 4, 2004, 10:46 AM
Congrats! You will probably shoot yours before I shoot mine, I am still waiting for my back ordered ammo from SOG. I am thinking about cancelling it and ordering some from AIM, maybe along with a CZ-52 or SKS while I am on the phone, gotta make good use of my time you know.

The K-31 was my first also, and I just received a Turk and Czech Mauser 8mm from Allan's Armory this week.

Cacique500
September 4, 2004, 09:16 PM
Congrats! If you don't have an SKS yet go that route next. Very cheap 7.62x39 ammo (same as an AK-47) that runs around $85/1000.

AIM has some very nice ones in right now and you'll get extremely well acquainted with it while you're mopping off the cosmoline :)

The SKS recoil is *minimal* as well making it a lot of fun to shoot.

If you get a Nagant, buy a shoulder pad - they HURT! (but they are fun & the muzzle flash is incredible)

WhoKnowsWho
September 5, 2004, 02:26 AM
If you don't have an SKS yet go that route next.

I actually have a Romanian one I found in the shop a while back. It needs a brother I think! And my M44 MN needs a friend too probably!

monsternav
September 5, 2004, 02:28 AM
WKW: I ordered my K31 on 8/20. I got it on 9/3, because I ordered ammo also. AIM now has ammo, so get it now.

C500: I am thinking about getting one of their SKS's. Maybe next payday. 10th or so. BTW the K31 I got was ready to shoot out of the box, no cosmo. Ammo was from 1978. Very nice.

Where can I find out what year my K31 was made in?

If you enjoyed reading about "My First C&R gun has arrived!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!