Moving to TX, Yeehaw!

PDA

Roz
September 4, 2004, 12:14 PM
Ok, I've accepted a job with a company based in Houston. I'm leaving MI, which is one of the more ungunfriendly states.

The first thing I plan on doing is picking up a Class III toy.... then a suppressor, then another one... and another... it's an addiction! Actually, it'll be a class III firearm and then a suppressor and then I'll probably have to learn to reload.

Any tips on ranges/stores/people to meet in Houston?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to TX, Yeehaw!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WalkerTexasRanger
September 4, 2004, 12:36 PM
Welcome to Texas, "its like a whole other country."

I live here in Houston and it is a great place for the shooting sports. Multiple ranges and clubs. Matter of fact, a club, Bayou Rifles has a new 1000 yard range opening today.

We have never posted about a THR meeting at say American Shooting Centers, but this sounds like a good reason to have one.

There many THR members from Houston, I met several, bought and sold items to several, and all are a good bunch of people.

www.competitionshootingsports.com is based here, and the owner is the co-developer of the Grendel, and a high-power person, so lots of Grendel talk and "fun" areound here.

Send me a PM or email if you have any questions about the city. I work for a mover, Graebel, and can hook you up with some good contacts in the RE business if you need. I can also help guide you on where to start looking for housing, you know in relation to the nearest range. :D

Again, Welcome to Texas!!

DigMe
September 4, 2004, 01:09 PM
There are nicer places you could live in TX but hey...it's a start!

Welcome! Be sure and get your CHL ASAP. I think you have to live here 6 months first though unfortunately. I can't remember exactly but you can check the laws over at www.packing.org or you can check out the Texas DPS website.

brad cook

Roz
September 4, 2004, 02:41 PM
WalkerTexasRanger,

I'll definitely be dropping you an e-mail. I'm looking at buying in Katy or Brookshire, since the company I work for is located at the Fry/I-10 area.

I have a MI CHL, I wonder if I still need to live there for 6 months? Definitely at least 2 months, as I won't have a permanent address until after that. I'm in corporate housing for 60 days.

aguyindallas
September 4, 2004, 02:49 PM
Texas has dropped the 6 month wait residency requirement, so you can get one asap!

Welcome!

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 4, 2004, 03:01 PM
Just remeber, plastic rusts in Houston.

Welcome to Texas.

Regards,
Rabbit.

WalkerTexasRanger
September 4, 2004, 03:39 PM
Roz,

Fry road borders George Bush Park where American Shooting Centers is located, cant get much more convenient than that. www.amshootcenters.com Here is their website just to get you started.

WTR

boofus
September 4, 2004, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately ASC does not allow politically incorrect guns. No silencers or MGs allowed because it might offend some over/under totin Elmer Fudds. There's a thread on AR15.com about the range nazis there throwing someone out for shooting a suppressed 10/22. Hell they get all excited if you start doing double/triple taps there. There are definitely friendlier ranges to choose from in the Houston area.

BobCat
September 4, 2004, 03:53 PM
Roz,

Welcome to Houston! Sylvilagus Aquaticus is right - everything rusts in Houston, and if your air conditioning breaks, your books will rot on the shelf.

With that said; you will love it here! I live just South of the Katy / Brookshire area. The new 1,000 yard range at the Bayou Rifles Juliff facility is South of the city; but the Bayou Rifles Addicks facility is near Addicks Resevior, at I-10 and Eldridge - just East of you. Disclaimer: I'm pushing Bayou Rifles since I'm the membership director, but I wouldn't be if it were not a great club. Great safety record, competition in many disciplines if you want, and casual shooting if you prefer that. Try http://www.bayourifles.org - site is rough but there are maps anyway.

If you shoot Cowboy Action, there is a great club in Columbus, just West of you; check http://www.THSS.org

Let us know when you get in town!

Purrrs,
BobCat

Roz
September 4, 2004, 09:00 PM
Ugh! My carry guns are a P239, a P7M8, a P7PSP, a Kimber Ultra Shadow and a Glock 26. Time to send them all off to Virgil Tripp.

I've never seen any rust on my guns... I guess I'd better start cleaning them more often. I have to admit I don't always clean them after a brief range session or wipe 'em down after a quick dry fire session.

Wipe 'em down and cover them in a rust inhibitor. I'd better stock up on silicon impregnated cloths!

Unfortunately, except for the SHR970 and a PSS700, all of my long guns are EBR. And some of them will become a bit more evil in a few days!

1,000 yard range eh? Maybe I'll buy that .50BMG as a first in TX toy instead of a class III.

I guess just a little pistol playing at ASC is in order. I'll take the more serious fun down to Bayou or one of the other clubs.

Barbara
September 4, 2004, 09:01 PM
Hey, I don't think I even got to you meet you while you lived in Michigan!

Roz
September 4, 2004, 09:12 PM
Nope you didn't. I kept trying to make it out to things, Kane kept trying to drag me out, it just didn't work out. Too much time either at school or at work.

Barbara
September 4, 2004, 09:22 PM
Well, crap..maybe one of the days.

Best wishes on the job, though..and the new toys!

cz75bdneos22
September 4, 2004, 09:41 PM
welcome to the concrete jungle!!
i use asc because it's near me.

WalkerTexasRanger
September 4, 2004, 09:51 PM
EBRs are fine out at ASC, just no MGs. Nothing full auto or anything requiring a Class III (supressor etc), thats what Boofus meant by "politically correct."

People shoot their ARs out there all the time, me included... They can be a bit strong at times, but it is a public range, on land leased by the gov't, just don't let it get to you. I shoot almost always at 200 & 300 yards, and they dont even have range officers down at that distance. Police yourselves at the longer ranges is the policy. Most days I am out there I never talk to a RO.

Is it the best range in Houston, no. Is it close, you bet.

I have never had a problem with rust on my guns here in Houston, as long as they are kept inside the house. Dont sweat it.. It gives you a good excuse to take the kids out frequently and clean them anyway.

You leave anything outside, i.e. garage, it WILL eventually rust.

WTR

No4Mk1
September 4, 2004, 10:24 PM
Another Houstonian checking in here!! You'll love it (once you get used to the heat....:D )

WTR, are you a member of Bayou Rifles? I've been a member for just about 6 months and can't wait to get down to the 1000yd line!!

Any Houston members who want to join me as a visitor to BR are welcome!

Hey, Thumper, where are you?;)

Roz
September 4, 2004, 10:26 PM
That's where my wife wants to put the safe. Out in the garage. I told her I didn't like it there from a safety standpoint.

Anyhow, I'll try ASC out. I have to transport my own firearms as the moving company will not move that. In fact, I'm not even sure they'll move the ammo I have so I may have to sell/give some of that stuff away.

No4Mk1
September 4, 2004, 10:29 PM
Just have to add....

DON'T PUT THE SAFE IN THE GARAGE!!!!

Both the safe AND the guns will be rusted in months....

If you keep them in the house, and the house has decent climate control, you should have no rust problems at all.

Barbara
September 4, 2004, 10:29 PM
psstt...if you have any .22, we're collecting for the big kids shoot in May. . :)

Stand_Watie
September 4, 2004, 11:03 PM
Welcome to Texas:D

As another former Michigander (ten years ago now), I think you're going to love it here.

WalkerTexasRanger
September 4, 2004, 11:24 PM
Roz,

No safes in the garage. Period. I dont even like to leave my car out there really :D

As I noted, I work for a mover. DOT prohibits the shipping of ammo in moving vans. Firearms, carrier's choice. We (Graebel) do move long guns, but no handguns. Does it happen, probably, is the customer liable if any damage arises from their ammo, most likely.

No safes in the garage, did I already mention that? You will realize this about the 1st time you arrive here and get out of your car. It is humid.

WTR

Roz
September 5, 2004, 08:07 AM
I guess I'll just keep disposable tools out there. For lack of a better term.

I thought everyone parked in their garages to keep the cars out of the sun?

BTW, can anyone recommend a good company that does window tint?

Stand_Watie, what brought you down to east Texas? I was looking at an opportunity in the Plano area, but ended up at Katy instead.

BobCat
September 5, 2004, 09:18 AM
Roz,

Gee, I hate to be a wet blanket, but .50 BMG and .408 Cheyanne Tactical are two calibers Bayou Rifles does not allow. Even with the 1,000 yard range, the fallout area past the impact berm is not long enough to assure stray rounds can't leave the range. The club is very conservative - no problems with EBRs or rapid fire strings, but no full-auto or belt fed. Still, come to the Highpower match - people are very friendly and helpful (nobody gives me a hard time, and I'm not one of the higher-scoring shooters at the match). And the periodic Garand matches are a hoot!

I concur with keeping the safe in the house. In the garage, if you keep a film of LPS2 on things tey won't rust, but it *is* humid. And if you don't have a full head of hair, get a hat. Everywhere else I've lived, people had a doctor and a dentist they went to; here, they also have a dermatologist (annual check for skin cancer - especially those of us with lots of exposed scalp). By the same token, even in the summer your CHL cover garment will not raise many eyebrows - people cover up against the sun.

BTW there is an IDPA club that just moved out to a range in the area you are talking about moving. They used to shoot at a range on the West side of town but recently moved farther West... I'm ashamed I don't recall the name right now.

Purrrs,
BobCat

Stand_Watie
September 10, 2004, 10:20 PM
Stand_Watie, what brought you down to east Texas? I was looking at an opportunity in the Plano area, but ended up at Katy instead

Roz, you could just say it was the way things worked out...I was finishing college up and my Uncle was living in the area, he said it was good for job opportunity at the time (1993), but I'd been hearing for years that Texas was the greatest state in the Union (of the greatest nation in the world) and from my experience so far it is:D Weather-wise I think I might like the Houston area or even the far south Texas area even better, but I've gotten my roots down pretty good here, and let's face it, how much better can it really get than a typical January or february day being 55 or 60 and sunny with an unusual (but not rare) January or February day being 80 and sunny?

Yeah, a little better, but not that much unless you're considering moving to Miami, Key West, San Diego or Hawaii.

CleverNickname
September 10, 2004, 11:12 PM
The first thing I plan on doing is picking up a Class III toy.... then a suppressor, then another one... and another... it's an addiction! Actually, it'll be a class III firearm and then a suppressor and then I'll probably have to learn to reload.

FYI, if you live in Harris County, you'll have to start an LLC. No CLEO signoffs here. If you live in one of the surrounding counties you might swing it.

Tharg
September 11, 2004, 06:49 AM
Welcome to texas - got moved here by my parents when i was 8.... been in the navy and swung round the world twice... no place i'd rather be =)

J/Tharg!

Roz
September 11, 2004, 08:50 AM
Ugh. An LLC? It's just more paperwork, I suppose, not a HUGE deal.

Luckily I work in Katy, so maybe I can just move to the county next door... by a place out in Brookshire or something.

Double Naught Spy
September 11, 2004, 09:32 AM
Moving to Texas is a good thing, but just so you know, we really don't say "Yeehaw." That is TV stuff. That isn't to say we don't have our own cowboy bumpkin language, only that yeehaw isn't a part of it.

Y'all are fixin' to learn all 'bout that.

Note that "y'all," a contraction for "you all," can be either singular or plural.

TechBrute
September 11, 2004, 09:37 AM
Note that "y'all," a contraction for "you all," can be either singular or plural. And don't forget the possesive version, "y'all's."

:D

DigMe
September 11, 2004, 12:02 PM
Moving to Texas is a good thing, but just so you know, we really don't say "Yeehaw." That is TV stuff. That isn't to say we don't have our own cowboy bumpkin language, only that yeehaw isn't a part of it.

Speak for yourself, dude! Yeeeehaw!! :neener:

brad cook

Roz
September 12, 2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the update on the colloquialisms... this'll be interesting.

I grew up in Toronto, so therefore have a clipped Canadian accent. It'll be strange to say the least in Texas. I have a hard enough time understanding people here in MI!

My 8 month old daughter is going to develop a drawl! I can't wait to hear her tell me that there is a bird on the fence.

I'll keep the Yeehaw thing in mind. I figure that'd be something I'd say after emptying a 30 round magazine on FA.

aguyindallas
September 12, 2004, 08:57 AM
Here is what you need to do:

On your drive here...stop in Dallas and take the CHl class

Drop off your paperwork personally in Austin

Get to Houston and wait on the permit. If you are passing through, you might as well make the most of it!

Welcome to Texas!

Detritus
September 12, 2004, 09:47 AM
Even with the 1,000 yard range, the fallout area past the impact berm is not long enough to assure stray rounds can't leave the range. problem I personally see developing with Bayou int eh next few years is that "fallout area" IS so small and pretty soon there WILL be one of those "deed restricted, Country living" subdivisions going in between the club's land and Hwy 6.

BTW just for the record they also will not allow .338 Laupua(sp?) the High Power director at the club i belong to (Greenwood Gun club in Brazoria) shoots at both, and has repeatedly mentioned this as a drawback.

and since i haven't been out there in awhile, i'm assuming that the 1,000Yrd range went in at the Julif range?

Oh and Roz you have a standing invite to come down to Greenwood and try us out some time, so far it's the best place i've found anywhere within a reasonable distance. and DEFINATELY the best for the money ($54 a year, with a $50-something first year initiation fee that goes directly to the land acquisition fund). just PM me sometime after you get down here and we'll try and get together so i can show yo the place. :)

Okiecruffler
September 12, 2004, 11:09 AM
I spent a year living in Texas, and tho' it hurts my Okie blood to admit it, it was a dang fine year. You should enjoy your relocation. My Daddy ( a native Texican himself) always said, "Texas started as a seperate, self governed nation, and most folks have the good sense not to forget it."

Tharg
September 12, 2004, 03:33 PM
Doh he's a yank AND a canadian.... and moving to Texas? git'a'rope.... <grin>

teasing of course - most of us are fairly friendly =)

J/Tharg!

TechBrute
September 12, 2004, 05:10 PM
Doh he's a yank AND a canadian.... and moving to Texas? git'a'rope.... <grin>

teasing of course - most of us are fairly friendly =)
Yeah, I haven't lynched any yanks in nearly 6 months. :D

Bob F.
September 12, 2004, 09:14 PM
Due to the popularity of the Survivor shows, Texas is planning to do one
> entitled, "Survivor-Texas Style."
>
> The contestants will all start in Dallas, then drive to Waco, Austin, San
> Antonio, over to Houston and down to Brownsville. They will then proceed
> up to Del Rio, El Paso, Midland, Odessa, Lubbock and Amarillo.
> From there they will go on to Abilene, Fort Worth and finally back to
> Dallas.
>
> Each will be driving a pink Volvo with bumper stickers that read:
>
> "I'm gay, I love the Dixie Chicks, Boycott Beef, I voted for Al Gore,
> George Strait Sucks, Hillary in 2004, and I'm here to confiscate your
> guns."
>
> The first one who makes it back to Dallas alive, wins.
>
Thought y'all from the "Lone Star Nation" might get a chuckle outta this:

M2 Carbine
September 12, 2004, 09:34 PM
TechBrute

Yeah, I haven't lynched any yanks in nearly 6 months.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya Brute, me to, planting them in my fields was beginning to poison the wild flowers.:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Paintbrush2.jpg

Roz
September 12, 2004, 11:49 PM
Hey! I'm a political refugee from Canada and Michigan. I can't abide by either's gun control laws. Or their taxes.

While I may be a Yank and a Canuck, you won't A) See me vote democrat B) call for gun control or C) tell you "Will someone please do something for the children?"

;)

BobCat
September 13, 2004, 10:29 AM
Detritus,

that "fallout area" IS so small and pretty soon there WILL be one of those "deed restricted, Country living" (ie city slicker engineer with no clue wants to move out and have LAND ) subdivisions going in between the club's land and Hwy 6.

The fallout area is not small. We have 150 acres and it is a long, skinny strip of land. The land between Bayou and Highway 6 is a toxic waste dump no one will ever build on.

[And BTW I'm an engineer who lives in the country and loves it. My wife raises cattle, and I like living where anyone close enough to see without binoculars needs to tell me why they are on my land. Sorry - your crack about city slickers with no clue was a shade hostile].

Greenwood is a great club with a great range. I was inviting Roz to Bayou Rifles since he said he is moving to the Katy / Brookshire area. The Bayou Rifles Addicks facility, on the West side of town, is closer to him than either the Bayou Juliff facility, or Greenwood.

Roz,

Welcome! You will love it here. I'm a Yankee transplant myself - not from as far North as Canada, but Chicago - Daleyville - is pretty far North, and pretty totalitarian!

The dialect is delightful. The language is distinctive and expressive, and you can speak however you choose - pick up the dialect and people who notice will usually approve and be amused; speak "proper English" and you will still be understood, but may be taken as making a social or political statement.

Again, the IDPA club that moved to Brookshire (still don't recall the name!) may be of interest to you. If you shoot Highpower you can join either Greenwood or Bayou Rifles, both, or neither - you can shoot the matches without being a club member.

Regards,
Andrew Werner
Bayou Rifles membership director

Roz
September 13, 2004, 12:56 PM
Bobcat,

I will definitely be making a trip out to Bayou Rifles as soon as we purchase. I'm ashamed to admit that until we buy a house, the shooting will be few and far between. Although I am transporting my collection, since the common carrier won't touch it and I wouldn't let them..

If I get pulled over, a state trooper might have a heart attack... maybe I should take the bolts out of the rifles...

BobCat
September 13, 2004, 03:43 PM
Roz,

It depends on where you get pulled over. If you get stopped in Texas, you might just be detained, and questioned closely about things like:

1) What are your favorite loads for this .270? What game do you hunt?
2) Do you like your Glock or your 1911 better? Which one prints better groups?
3) Do you keep both eyes open when sighting a) all the time, b) only at long range, or c) never, I always close my non-dominant eye.

Things like that.... and if your answers are informative enough and show you are a serious shooter, the DPS officer might suggest a nearby range or gun club for you to check out.

Did I mention I love it here?

Purrrs,
BobCat

Detritus
September 13, 2004, 08:29 PM
Sorry - your crack about city slickers with no clue was a shade hostile

My appologies you're correct, it had been a long day (week actually, including dealing with a host of "if you gotta ask land prices you're too poor to talk to us" Idjits in the course of looking at land out that way.) i was being testy and i've edited that part out.
to tell the truth my frustration on that count isn't with the folks who BUY the land but with the whole concept of "deed restricted comunites" in general, too close to "folk i don't know, getting in my personal affairs". i know the offical reasons, but many of the one's i've looked into go to far. and i'm sorry if i buy a plot of land, what i do on it, as long as it does no harm to, nor majorly disturbs others, is MY business, and no one else's.

anyway i better shut up as this is NOT the point of this thread

I wish Roz the best and continue to extent my open invite, knowing that greenwood IS most likely too far for a person moving to the area he is, to come to without good reason, but figure he ought to at leat come by adn see the place :) .

Roz
September 15, 2004, 10:55 PM
I'm here. A day ahead of schedule thanks to Ivan. I was unable to secure lodging yesterday between Illinois and Memphis. So I drove straight thru, got a place in Little Rock, and arrived in Houston today.

Let me tell you this corporate housing thing SUCKS. Can anyone recommend a good storage facility that is climate controlled? Do any of the ranges offer "lockers" for their members? I might just join one right now to get access to one.

I believe I'm being moved to the Marriott tomorrow. Right now I'm in the Extended Stay Studios. Air conditioner works, but leaks. It has been leaking for so long that there is mold in the room. The carpet is saturated with moisture from the air conditioner. The recliner is broken. All of this wouldn't be a huge deal, except for the fact that the door doesn't lock. At all. It's off square by about 1/2 an inch, and the nothing lines up with the door plate. Luckily I have my trusty dog with me. Amongst other things.

So I'm here, and my company has called and complained about the condition of my room. Of course, there is no vacancy anywhere in Houston at this time. So I'll be propping up a chair against the door for the evening.

No4Mk1
September 16, 2004, 12:58 AM
Man! This is a pretty crummy time to be renting a room in Houston! If you don't get it sorted out, reach out and I'm sure one of us can find a way to help.

As for storage, what part of town are you in? Are you SW? None of the gun ranges I know of have lockers, but there are a lot of good climate controlled storage facilities.

If you want to hit the range this weekend drop me a line and I'll show you around Bayou Rifles. I'm planning to go Saturday.

Welcome to Texas!! I hope you don't let the crummy hotel leave a bad first impression.;)

BobCat
September 16, 2004, 10:24 AM
Roz,

As No4Mk1 says, this is not the time to be renting a room in Houston! OTOH the mildew and mold are endemic and you will find ways to mitigate the humidity when you have "you own" place. Please discuss MUD districts and deed restrictions vs zoning before you buy a house.

I am West of town. If you need to stash some things for a while, until you find a climate-controlled storage place, let me know.

BTW Detrius and I PMed and we are in *total agreement* about what he said about deed restricted subdivisions. No conflict there.

Saturday ought to be beautiful. There will be a work party at the 1,000 yard pits, installing the target carriers, but should not affect the rest of the ranges.

Sunday there is a 60-shot prone match that is always fun. 300 yards, prone, 20 shots in 20 minutes - three times, plus 2 sighters for each string. If you can make it to this match you will have a ball, and you can shoot anything from a Sevice Rifle to a scoped deer rifle.

Welcome to Houston!

Purrrrs,
Bobcat

Roz
September 16, 2004, 06:46 PM
Luckily the room situation has been resolved. I've been moved to the Marriott which is by far nicer. I need to move my stuff in under cover of darkness. I guess I need to go out and buy some CLP or something to that extent and relube/oil and wipe down every one of my firearms. I guess I don't need to worry about the aluminum ARs. I hope the STI didn't get rusty. They've only been outdoors for 2 days or so.

There is a storage facility here on lot, so I may be able to work it out. The issue is it is a storage locker for the entire floor, and my stuff will fill it up. There is only one key though and only the general manager has it. I think there are a few UHaul rental places down the block between Mason and Fry. I may go check them out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to TX, Yeehaw!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!