So I'm buying a handgun from a PP...

PDA

Sawdust
September 4, 2004, 06:46 PM
So I'm buying a handgun from a private party who resides in another state.

Can he ship the gun directly to my FFL, or does he have to use an FFL on his end to do the shipping?

I think that he can do it himself...

What mode of shipping is required? That is, does it have to be overnight? Any carrier?

Bottom line: What's the cheapest way to do this transfer (being legal, of course).

I did some searching and couldn't really find a definitive answer; I'm sure that these questions have been asked before, so I figure my search skills need work. :p

Any help appreciated,

Sawdust

If you enjoyed reading about "So I'm buying a handgun from a PP..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
September 4, 2004, 07:01 PM
He can ship it to your licensed dealer, or directly to you if you have a collectors license and it meets the C&R criteria (watch state/local law on this, though).

Shipping cannot be by the US Postal Service, but must be by UPS or FedEx. Overnight shipping is their rules, not the law, and you usually have to take the gun to the carrier's outlet, not to a service store.

If he has a friendly dealer, the easiest and cheapest way may be to ask the dealer to mail it, which he can do. If the owner is a good customer, packages the gun up, and records the information, some dealers will ship it without charging a service charge. He might try that route.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "So I'm buying a handgun from a PP..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!