Just for drill...

PDA

Ironbarr
September 5, 2004, 05:08 PM
What experience have you had with a true "out of the box" firearm? This means you have taken delivery of a new factory gun, went to range and shot it directly NIB - no cleaning, etc., just visual, manual inspection.

Yeah, I know - pull it down, clean, inspect, dry fire, etc. for safety, etc. And I don't mean the cosmoline palaces, just new factory deliveries.

I'm reasonably sure there are folks out there that have done this.

How did it do? How did you do? (My guns shoot better than me).

If you enjoyed reading about "Just for drill..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
September 5, 2004, 05:16 PM
Hi Andy ... :)

I did this with just one gun ... a Taurus M66 4" .... put one dry patch thru bore and chambers to ensure any surplus oil gone and .... off to range!

Interestingly, this revo (under ''protection'' now by my wife as her HD gun!!) .... is sweet as sweet ... feels like a ''Smith trigger'' .. and is a joy to shoot D/A. It does not have a huge thruput of ammo and so is not likely to suffer too much wear. Have to say - ''out the box'' . I was impressed .... got a lucky one I think.

Oh and .. near forgot .. my Super Single Six .... that was pretty much straight to range NIB .... no unpleasant surprises there. Great lil fella.

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/m66_s.jpg

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/single_six_s.jpg

jdkelly
September 5, 2004, 05:19 PM
Every new gun I've owned has gone to the range after a quick inspection and a lite cleaning. All have functioned well, even the $1300 PC that dropped a grip screw after 30 or 40 rounds.:(

Respectfully,

jdkelly

Ironbarr
September 5, 2004, 07:44 PM
Those are beautiful machines. That top one looks just like my Astra 3" in .357 though w/walnut grips and blued. Just found out I shoot better with it than either the 1911A1 or Makarov. That Mak front sight is VERY low, just now getting a decent handle on it - even after 5-600 rnds. Tricky little devil, but it shoots better'n me - heck, they all do.

Hope others'll chime in - and, hello jd, thanks for the reply.

-Andy

Double Maduro
September 5, 2004, 07:51 PM
Ran a patch down the barrel of my nib Ruger P90 and took it to the range.

Ran 150 rounds through it with one FTF. It was a good primer strike, nice indent, the round just didn't go off, even after I pulled the trigger again in DA.

The same thing with my 22/45. Three of us ran about 500 rounds through it in a couple of hours, no problems.

My Mak had so much grease in it that I had to soak it in dish soap and water for a couple hours.

DM

Standing Wolf
September 5, 2004, 08:02 PM
I doubt I'd be able to figure out how to fire a gun I hadn't first disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled.

trapshooter
September 5, 2004, 08:59 PM
Good times with:

Sig P245
S&W M 29
S&W M36
Colt 1991A1
Walther PPK/S
Walther PP
Walther P22

These were NIB guns. WTH, maybe I'm just lucky.

armoredman
September 5, 2004, 09:15 PM
Did it with both the CZ2075 RAMI, and the CZ75 PO1. Flawless functioning.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just for drill..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!