.17 Mach 2 rifles

PDA

1911WB
September 9, 2004, 08:58 PM
Has anyone seen, fondled rifles in the new Hornady .17 Mach 2 caliber? I have seen one Savage & one Marlin HB bolt actions, and several NEF single shots. But no ammo yet! :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about ".17 Mach 2 rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kudu
September 9, 2004, 10:07 PM
Saw one on the rack this weekend, I think it was a Savage. I already have a .17HMR so that is the last thing I'd be interested in buying.

Didn't notice if there was any ammo available.

JuniorG
September 9, 2004, 10:56 PM
Seen a NEF and a Marlin w/the lamenated stock SS bbl. pretty thing but with no ammo around???????

Didn't even look at the price.

Domino
September 9, 2004, 11:07 PM
what exactly is .17 mach 2? I am familiar with .17 HMR and .17 Aquila but never heard of that.

1911WB
September 10, 2004, 12:34 AM
This new round is based on the .22 Stinger case & has the same bullet as the HMR. I think the ballistics out of a rifle barrel are about 2100 fps.

DougCxx
September 10, 2004, 12:47 PM
17 Mach2 should be better than 22LR for functioning (spitzer bullets cycle better than lead-roundnose) and more accurate (copper-jacketed bullets are more accurate than unjacketed lead) but.... -more expensive as well.
-------
And the big advantage if the Mach2 is that it -should- be fairly easy for all the companies making 22LR guns to convert them to 17Mach2. The problem with the 17HMR is limited availability of guns--there is (to my knowledge) only one company offering a conventional* semi-auto pistol in 17HMR-- http://www.excelarms.com/pages/2/index.htm

*-The Volquartsen is really a cut-down rifle, and (I thinks) handles rather oddly.
~

If you enjoyed reading about ".17 Mach 2 rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!