Building an M1A yourself? Where to find parts

PDA

Snaps
September 9, 2004, 08:43 PM
I'm going to do this one as a project for a friend on mine. Sort of the sniper setup like the whitefeather.. Where on earth would i look for a reciever for the thing and parts? Anybody know a good company?

With ARs it's easy to find companies who make it, but this isn't going as smoothly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Building an M1A yourself? Where to find parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAG2501
September 9, 2004, 09:58 PM
Check on the battlerfiles.com and M14 firing line sites - they have threads that focuses exculsively on the M14/M1A.

Fulton armory and LRB both make solid receivers. SAMCO and Numrich both have had M1A receivers in their catalogs at one point. At this point Fulton may be the best choice, but will most likely be the most esxpensive also.

I'd suggest posting on the M1A forum and see what you get there.

Trebor
September 9, 2004, 10:18 PM
M-14 parts have really dried up the last few years. Expect to pay MORE to assemble a rifle from parts then if you bought one complete. It'll take longer to get all the parts as well. It can still be done, but it'll take some work.

fissionproducts
September 10, 2004, 11:11 AM
I was considering building an M1A as well thinking it might be as easy as building an FAL. I was told however that it is significantly more challenging as you will need specific USGI tools to assemble the rifle. Supposedly these tools are not easy to find. Also barrel timing and headspacing are a challenge. I would either buy a complete rifle or ship the parts to a good gunsmith with M14/M1A experience for assembly

If you enjoyed reading about "Building an M1A yourself? Where to find parts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!