Gun Owners and Airplanes

PDA

Guntalk
September 10, 2004, 02:04 PM
Kind of a stretch, but I note that a number of folks posting here comment on aircraft. Some fly helos, some fly fixed wing, and some are in the military.

I'm a private pilot, and I've noticed that a lot of other pilots also are into guns. In thinking of it, I have wondered if the connection is self-reliance, or some such.

Or, maybe that's just junk psychology.

Anyone else noticed that gun folks like airplanes, and aviation types like guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Owners and Airplanes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Dog
September 10, 2004, 02:25 PM
I've noticed. Having spent many years around Naval aviation, it's always been interesting to see the young aircrew guys (er... and now gals) get turned on to shooting and then gun ownership when first qualifying with the firearms. The self-reliance thing is probably part of it, too ... I tend to believe that people who fly are more in touch with "what's the worst thing that could happen" than people who don't ... And thus have a more realistic view of the world, as well as appreciating well-made mechanical things, tools, firearms, etc.

neoncowboy
September 10, 2004, 04:42 PM
PP-ASEL checking in...

I've noticed this too. I would also point to the similarity between the experience of 'power' or 'control' for lack of a better word. I don't know how to articulate it without making it sound weird.

But guns = power, as does the command of an aircraft.

We also drive better.

I'd love to see fellow High Roaders over at my favorite flying forum, http://www.studentpilot.com

Stickjockey
September 10, 2004, 04:43 PM
Shotguns and Cessnas, and pistols and Pipers; these are a few of my favorite things

Yup. firearms and flying things; you betcha!

Flyboy
September 10, 2004, 04:51 PM
CFII here, and 1911 fan.

I've read articles here and there saying that, according to studies, some 90% of pilots are, if not "control freaks," at least prefer to be in control of their environments and situations.

Based on what I've seen of gunnies, we're the same way: we don't like surrendering control to other people. We prefer to take responsibility for our own lives, our own defence, etc.

So is there a correlation between gunnies and pilots? It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Guntalk
September 10, 2004, 05:00 PM
Well, in addition to co-hosting the Guns & Ammo TV show, I decided to do a show on my other passion.

www.wingstoadventure.com

It's a TV Series about aviation, which starts in July of 2005.

Oh, I'm flying a 1960 Beechcraft Twin Bonanza. Lots of room for guns in that one!

misANTHrope
September 10, 2004, 05:04 PM
Future Naval Aviator and developing gun nut, checking in. :D

If I can just keep my GPA up for a couple more semesters...

AZLibertarian
September 10, 2004, 06:03 PM
I think the connection you've noticed also has to do with both activities having some degree of danger to them. Use them correctly, and you'll be fine. Use them incorrectly, and you're in for trouble.

ATP

TallPine
September 10, 2004, 06:24 PM
Guns and airplanes are both highly efficient mechanisms for converting money into noise.

:D

El Tejon
September 10, 2004, 08:44 PM
You mean people interested in how things work, cars, computers, aeroplanes, helicopters, women, would have a common interest in guns?

Dear Vishnu, what a talk radio breakthrough!:rolleyes:

greg531mi
September 10, 2004, 09:16 PM
Private Pilot, Land and Sea, working on my insturment Rating

first love is Airplanes, second Guns.....sorry, that's the way I am
but Guns are so much cheaper than an airplane, both are a lot of fun,
and you can combine them by taking yourself hunting....another love

M2 Carbine
September 10, 2004, 09:22 PM
Probably most of the pilots and mechanics I worked with owned guns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
neoncowboy
I'd love to see fellow High Roaders over at my favorite flying forum, http://www.studentpilot.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cowboy, It's been 44 years since I was a student pilot, can I still visit.:)

There's a flying forum on GT also.
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=208088

neoncowboy
September 10, 2004, 10:38 PM
cowboy, It's been 44 years since I was a student pilot, can I still visit.

Sure you can!

We have members from brand new, never even took a lesson yet to many thousand hour CFIs and ATPs...all helping each other out.

I'd like to think that all pilots are student pilots...there really is that much to learn.

ChiefPilot
September 10, 2004, 10:42 PM
I'm one among many - CP-ASMEL/IA - and a lot of the folks around the airport are also into the shooting sports. My first passion is flying airplanes, followed by building them. Lots of fun!

The guns are for when the pro-seal is curing or while waiting for replacement parts :)

iamkris
September 11, 2004, 12:09 AM
SEL rated, VFR... only about 250 hours...haven't flown in over a year though since family matters and job are in the way...mostly a time versus money thing though.

Been working on growing my gun collection in the mean time though

pittspilot
September 11, 2004, 01:19 AM
CFI-MEI, with the usual Commercial Single/Multi Instrument Certs.

But my real love is

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/a/unbranded-aerobatic-flight-in-a-pitts-special.jpg

Pitts Specials

strambo
September 11, 2004, 03:02 AM
PP-ASEL I can't afford to fly right now, but I can still afford to handload...so that's somethin'.

I've always loved aviation, but I think I like guns better...something to do with giving up on my dream of being a fighter pilot (due to poor eyesight) and joining the Army. The best would be flying my own DeHavilland Beaver with one of WA's co-pilots in the back.:cool:

jamz
September 11, 2004, 10:42 AM
Expired CFI-I here, with requisite Commercial, Instrument and Multi Certs and ratings.

Haven't flown since I decided to change careers to something that actualy made money ( :) ) but I think AZLibertarian hit it on the head. It's something to do , like most of my other past hobbies that require a lot of concentration, and carries some risk if you screw it up.

For someone like me with ADD, it's a balm to the mind when you can find something that makes you focus. Feels good.

Other hobbies have been (and are) rock and ice climbing, technical mountain biking, and auto racing. All of the above require (force) concentration, and can be risky.

-James

obiwan1
September 11, 2004, 12:10 PM
Tom:

I've noticed that for years. In fact some aviation writers have made the same comments in print over the years.
Commercial/Instrument SMEL. Lots of Comanche 260 time.

A T-Bone!!!!!!!.......... What a great old airplane. I hope you upgraded the engines and panel:D

John Ross
September 11, 2004, 02:51 PM
Pitts Model 12 driver here.

BIG positive correlation between aviation and guns, in my experience. My take is that both types want to control their own destiny.

If you long for the '40s and '50s, all you have to do is travel around the country by private plane, preferably one with the third wheel in the proper (rear) location, land at private airports, and spend time with the people there.

It's as if all the things that annoy you about our current culture never existed.

JR

Bobarino
September 11, 2004, 03:28 PM
PP SEL. no medical right now though. i browse through StudentPilot.com on occasion but i post at www.Ipilot.com quite often. i've gone a few rounds with the mighty Avbug and came out humbled like many others. harsh he may be, but usually right on the money. i'm sure NeonCowboy knows who i'm talking about. i've always loved planes and guns. i really don't know which i would pick if i had to give up one. luckily i don't have to give up either.

Bobby

aguyindallas
September 11, 2004, 06:29 PM
I am of course into guns, and will certainly admit that if I could do it all over again, I would have become a pilot.

Man, I love planes of all sorts, especially WW2 era aircraft. I would absolutley love to be a commercial pilot. I really do not have a desire to fly a private plane unless perhaps as a company jet pilot. In this spot of my life, I really can't afford to go full circle and go back to school to become a pilot, so it will just remain a dream for me.

*sigh*

Fly320s
September 11, 2004, 06:31 PM
I do a little of both. Sometimes together.

neoncowboy
September 11, 2004, 10:01 PM
Avbug, lol!

He knows *everything* :rolleyes:

neoncowboy
September 11, 2004, 10:04 PM
I would absolutley love to be a commercial pilot. I really do not have a desire to fly a private plane unless perhaps as a company jet pilot. In this spot of my life, I really can't afford to go full circle and go back to school to become a pilot, so it will just remain a dream for me.

I would be willing to bet that if you had a chance to take the controls of a Cessna on a cross-country flight...you would see the light.

Even if you'll never do it for a job...maybe eve especially if you'll never do it for a job...aviation can be one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do.

If you like, I'd be happy to poll my pilot friends in your area and hook you up with someone who would love to take you flying and show you a little of what I am talking about.

4v50 Gary
September 11, 2004, 11:22 PM
Well, males typically are attracted to machines with "umph" like airplanes, trains, cars, boats, motorcycles or guns. So are some women and they're a special breed. :)

Bobarino
September 12, 2004, 12:07 AM
NeonCowboy,

i see you've had dealings with him too. while i still disagree with him about the definition of supersonic, pretty much everything else he HAS been right on, despite my best efforts to prove him wrong. i hate to admit it, especially with his attitude, but he really is a vast resource of aviation knowledge. he's helped me out more than once and saved me from a lot of mistakes, so i have to give credit where credit is due. just take his lectures with a grain of salt.

Bobby

aguyindallas
September 12, 2004, 09:44 AM
Neoncowboy, now that is an offer I would certainly consider. I have had the pleasure of riding in the backseat of a Beech Bonanza from Ca to Tx once....it was quite a bit of fun! That was when I was a kid. I am 27 with a family now...

NC Shooter
September 12, 2004, 10:53 AM
>Well, in addition to co-hosting the Guns & Ammo TV show, I decided to do a show on my other passion.

www.wingstoadventure.com

It's a TV Series about aviation, which starts in July of 2005.

Oh, I'm flying a 1960 Beechcraft Twin Bonanza. Lots of room for guns in that one!

Tom,

Cool. It's good to see a show about aviation again. The Twin Bo is a really neat plane. Saw one on Ocracoke Island, NC several times. Looks like a really stout plane. Three across seating in the front if I recall correctly.

Will you be doing any shows combining fishing, hunting and aviation like flying to a lake to fish, flying to a hunting camp or flying to a seaside airport to surf fish?

I will be looking for the show. Let us know when it starts.

Thanks

Mark
PPSEL
1978 R182

ClonaKilty
September 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
My job requires I fly at least 2x/week each -- as a passenger on a commercial airline! Interestingly, most of the captains' bags have either an NRA sticker or a tag that shows they support the armed flight deck officer program. We're kindred spirits indeed.

The light bulb came on for me when I was at a national firearms training school in Nevada, and met a student there who lives in the same town as I do. He had flown his own plane to the school. At the end of the course, as I was planning out my logistics to the airport (return car, unload pistol, lock in case, stand in line, wait for agent and TSA to clear me, check bags, go through security, etc.) he said "why don't you just fly back with me? Just toss your gear in and away we go." WOW!

Now, I am purposely avoiding learning to fly because I know I will become as "enthralled" with it as I am with shooting. And flying is WAY expensive.

ChiefPilot
September 12, 2004, 11:59 PM
My job requires I fly at least 2x/week each -- as a passenger on a commercial airline! Interestingly, most of the captains' bags have either an NRA sticker or a tag that shows they support the armed flight deck officer program. We're kindred spirits indeed.

Yup. When I took my training class for my carry permit, the guy who ended up sitting next to me in the course was/is a pilot for Northwest Airlines. Lots of commonality, to be sure.

SlowStar
September 13, 2004, 01:32 AM
Airplanes and guns? That is about as good as it gets. I have 19,000 hrs in light civilian aircraft, with 14,000 of that flying crop dusters. Legacy from the dusters is a deformed right hand and a flat ass. My certificate reads
ASMELSCOMI, or something like that. I lost my medical about 12 years ago and haven't been in a plane since. Now all I do is mess with guns and try to find ways not to piss my wife off. Working was easier.:D
Slowstar

myrockfight
September 13, 2004, 03:55 AM
Speaking of flying...I was wondering what you guys, involved with aviation, thought about Embry-Riddle located in Daytona. I am thinking of starting there in the spring semester to pursue a degree in aeronautical science. Are companies interested in pilots graduating from Embry-Riddle? I would assume I can get the figures from the school. One of them states 1 in 4 pilots in the industry are alumni. Or would that be alumnus? LOL - see I need to get back to school! More of my brain cells are bailing every day! :confused:

Besides someone has to put all of those liberal professors in their place! All the kids are too scared! LOL

BTW - I've got the gun hobby down pretty good already.

Guntalk
September 13, 2004, 08:23 AM
The brand-new sport pilot license requires half the number of hours of training. Check out www.eaa.org or www.aopa.org for more info.

M2 Carbine
September 13, 2004, 10:38 PM
ClonaKilty

Now, I am purposely avoiding learning to fly because I know I will become as "enthralled" with it as I am with shooting. And flying is WAY expensive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya, and it just gets more expensive.

I'm still stuck in 1960 when a J3 Cub rented for $6 an hour wet.

My first airplane, an Aeronca Chief, cost $1,100.

But my paycheck was only $80 a week.

I spent every spare cent on flying, with a little left over for ammo.

When I got the Army flight school in 64 I felt like I was stealing money.:D

Black Snowman
September 13, 2004, 10:44 PM
I never got past ground school but if my vision hadn't held me back I'd be piloting a ground attack craft of some sort. Since I was little I've been fascinated with machinery and the pinnacle of machinery has always been weapons of war. I had a long standing obsession with the AH-64 Apache and A-10 Thunderbolt II that still aren't quite dead ;)

After falling into a computer career I've ditched every other hobby I've tried and jumped into firearms with both feet but if I ever get to where I'm happy with the collection and find I'm out of debt I'd love a autogyro.

P95Carry
September 13, 2004, 10:58 PM
I think there well could be a correlation ...... broadly anyways. Not a pilot myself for full size but - an avid R/C flier ... so maybe a hint of same connection.

This is a 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup - flew it this last weekend ... very pretty. Be nicer if I'd been able to be in full size of course. <sigh> .... oh well .... thankful for small mercies! :)

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/img_assd/pup-05-s.jpg

M2 Carbine
September 13, 2004, 11:55 PM
Black Snowman, If your eyes are good enough to drive they are good enough to fly ultralights.
There's some nice fun ultralight aircraft available.
Fixed wing, PPC (powered parachutes), etc.

I bought this to fly out of my place because it's the only ultralight that will make it in and out of here.
(sometimes without a lot of room to spare on landing)

I flew for a living for almost 40 years and now my flying is 100% for fun.
I don't even want to talk on the radio any more.:D

P95Carry, that's a good looking plane.
I've got a 300 foot field beside the house for RC (where the PPC has landed) and I still have trouble finding time to fly the models.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Landed_long.jpg

P95Carry
September 14, 2004, 12:03 AM
M2 ...... some guys fly those round here ... as well as ultra's ... what would be an approx price tag on that gear ... used probably but - serviceable and ready to go?? I have considered it ..... many a time but - always chickened out!:D

M2 Carbine
September 14, 2004, 12:56 AM
P95Carry,

A used, low time under 100 hours, PPC runs roughly -$9,000 for a single place to about $12,000 +or- for a two place.

Of course the price depends on make, engine size, extras, condition, etc.

Many have low time because new fliers buy them and either move up to private flying or quit all together.

The owner of this one had it up for sale for $13,000 which would have been the going price.
He told a mutual friend he would take $8,500 for a quick cash sale. He had a deal on an airplane.
I hadn't made up my mind if I wanted one, but I couldn't turn down that deal after I saw it was like new, 65 hours.

They aren't hard to fly but like any flying machine they will allow you to kill yourself.

At the local airport last week a pilot screwed up on takeoff and hit a 30+ foot electric pole and lines. Lucky he wasn't hurt bad but the rig hit the ground right side up. I think it was totaled.

If I owned enough land I could mount my M2 and make it a ground attack aircraft. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/P1010030s.jpg

garrettwc
September 14, 2004, 12:58 AM
Tom, I am just luvin' that logo. The F-4U Corsair is my favorite WWII era fighter.

I think there is a gland of some sort located inside all of us. We appreciate precision engineering, power, and beauty combined. Whether it be guns, planes, or cars/bikes, we just feel something that draws us closer.

Picture this scene:

You roll up onto the tarmac on your vintage Harley, Colt Series 70 tucked in by your right hip. You pull the collar of your leather A-2 jacket up to brace against the morning chill. The rising sun is just beginning to reflect off the canopy of your restored WWII fighter.

Life is good.

Stickjockey
September 14, 2004, 01:07 AM
Speaking of flying...I was wondering what you guys, involved with aviation, thought about Embry-Riddle located in Daytona.

Embry-Riddle is, IIRC, widely regarded as the "Harvard University" of Aeronautical schools. If you can get in, do it.

Also, just to add to my first post: Commercial certificate, Single and Multiengine Land, with instrument rating. About 370 hours, but haven't been behind the yoke in several years. Love to get back into it but hey- I've got a family to feed, and like someone else said, flyin's expensive.

M2 Carbine
September 14, 2004, 01:10 AM
garrettwc,

When I first joined the USMC reserves (1955) they had F4U4 Corsairs.

Then when I got off active duty and joined the reserves again (1959) they had Skyraiders.

Can you believe the dumb kid didn't get one picture of those birds.:(

garrettwc
September 14, 2004, 11:49 AM
Can you believe the dumb kid didn't get one picture of those birds.

Ah, the inexperience of youth. We've all done that at one time or another.

wingman
September 14, 2004, 12:17 PM
My suggestion to anyone who look up when they hear an airplane, go and
learn to fly, I started at 40 and have been flying over 20 years love it. One of the few places left that one is in control,(if your up there by yourself only
you can get it down), an expensive but wonderful hobby, and yes I believe
there is a connection between pilots,guns, lets also include motorcycles.
If I only had more money.
:(

Smoke
September 14, 2004, 12:45 PM
Dad flew - Liked guns.
Brother flies - Likes guns.

Dad was teaching me to fly - haven't pursued it since....but I still like guns.

Smoke

garrettwc
September 14, 2004, 01:43 PM
there is a connection between pilots,guns, lets also include motorcycles.

I did.;)

Wingman, your suggestion is well taken. I have been considering exactly that. The local FBO has those "Discovery" flights where they take you up and let you see what it's like.

The only thing holding me back is I know I'm going to like it and then all "you know what" will break loose. "Honey, I'm serious. I will spend less time at the gun show because I can fly there instead of sitting on the interstate." :p

wingman
September 14, 2004, 02:30 PM
Go for it, well worth the effort. The new sports pilot catagory will be
a "little cheaper" in getting license/medical, etc, however like guns
it becomes addictive.:D

P95Carry
September 14, 2004, 03:19 PM
M2 .. thx for the extra info - and a great 2nd pic ..... nice one :)

I had thought ball park $10k .... so maybe not too far off. That ain't bad considering some of the R/C model guys have same money tied up in a jet fighter scale model .. $3.5k of that just in one small gas turbine!!

Someone mention bikes?? :D .... yep ... add them into this cocktail ..... more than viable. I shoot, I bike - and I fly (lil' ones!! :p ).

amprecon
September 14, 2004, 03:29 PM
Guns and airplanes sparked my interest at about the same time and have slowly progressed ever since. I own several rifles, a shotgun and pistols and love shooting and hunting.
I am also an A&P mechanic with Inspection Authorization (IA), and am a check-ride away from finishing my Instrument Rating. Flying is much more expensive than shooting, the trick is to find someone to pay you for having fun.

M2 Carbine
September 14, 2004, 03:35 PM
garrettwc

The only thing holding me back is I know I'm going to like it and then all "you know what" will break loose.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you see if the lady wants to learn to fly.

My wife flying a Cessna 150.

I was taking pictures of her flying solo near Mineral Wells, TX.

She was giving me a hard time on the radio because she had to fly the Cessna so slow to allow my Stinson to keep up with her.:D

She liked guns to.

Also motorcycles:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/HazelflyingCessna150_4.jpg

P95Carry
September 14, 2004, 03:51 PM
M2 ... most know I am a meddling ol' phart with images :p ... just had to clean that one up a bit and slightly warm it .... too many specks! :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1236014

M2 Carbine
September 14, 2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks,
Much better.

I have a lot of old slides like, going back 40+ years, that I have to scan and clean up.

garrettwc
September 14, 2004, 06:51 PM
No danger there M2.

No boats, planes, etc. She wants solid ground under her feet. I won't even begin to tell you what I have to go through over guns.

P95Carry
September 14, 2004, 09:01 PM
I won't even begin to tell you what I have to go through over guns. A very - very - very - long ...... Honeydo list??? :D :p

misANTHrope
September 14, 2004, 09:24 PM
Better yet, airplanes with guns!

I don't really have anything good to say, but I figured most of the ppl reading this would enjoy some of the videos at www.grouchymedia.com . I just recently downloaded Helo Thunder (http://www.grouchymedia.com/other_videos/helo_thunder/index.cfm). If you haven't seen an AH-64 Apache doing aerobatics, well, here's your chance! :cool:

garrettwc
September 14, 2004, 09:26 PM
A very - very - very - long ...... Honeydo list???

If only it were that simple. I would have gladly done them all.

She is so much an anti DiFi would be proud.

Flyboy
September 14, 2004, 11:36 PM
Garrettwc: what part of Indiana? I can recommend--highly--an instructor I know in Indianapolis. Anybody out that way, let me know, and I'll tell you who to go visit.

garrettwc
September 14, 2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks flyboy, but I'm in the southern part of the state. Near Louisville, KY.

Guy L Johnson
September 14, 2004, 11:54 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33468&highlight=Amature+Radio

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Owners and Airplanes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!