Please help with my SAR-1

PDA

Starpower
September 10, 2004, 04:30 PM
On advice from this forum about a year ago, (OK, I'm a little slow) I finally got the US made Red Star adjustable triger group for my AK. Everything fit fine, works good, clearance ok, feels good, etc. Now about that #&%@$ Shephards hook!!! (Hammer/trigger pin retainer spring) The instructions on the Red Star says remove the pin by pushing it forward toward the magazine well. All good. Then, at the appropriate spot in the instructions it says" Reinstall Trigger pivot pin retainer spring"!! Yeah, right!

Seems like I remember reading something about a few tricks or a better replacement spring that you can actually reinstall. Any help out there??

Oh, by the way, my wife is getting a little tired of an AK-47 disassembled on a card table in the living room, so please hurry. Like the time I wanted to rework a Harley in the living room over the winter....... Well, summer's not really here till June, is it? :cuss: :confused: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help with my SAR-1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigmtnman
September 10, 2004, 04:48 PM
Save yourself a lot of grief and buy the Red Star Arms 'retainer plate'. It slips in place in about two seconds with no cursing!!!

Starpower
September 10, 2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks, BigMtnMan. I suppose I can just to the same Guns-N-Stuff for that item? Or the Red Star catalog that came with it? Seriously, thanks.

MAKOwner
September 10, 2004, 05:46 PM
Take one of the pins out and carry it to your local hardware store. Find their section of assorted "E clips" and find one (I believe somewhere around 6mm should be tight, I guess that's around 1/4" or 7/32" or so??) that fits on the pin. Then buy a handful more, they're like 25 cents a piece. Pop them in place on your pins with everything assembled and you're good to go....

BryanP
September 10, 2004, 06:04 PM
If you haven't been to this web site you need to go check it out:

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml

He has a tutorial on removing and replacing the fire control group that starts here -

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm

And he specifically addresses the Shepards Hook and Red Star Arms Shepards Hook Replacement Plate here -

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval4.htm

Starpower
September 10, 2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the links BryanP. I printed the tutorial on the FCG and put the main link on my favorites. Thanks to all who helped. I did order the Red Star plate, and put the Hook in backwards (hook over the Trigger pin and under the hammer pin,) but don't worry, I won't fire it that way, I'll wait for the plate to come in and install it properly. The pin that way just keeps things from falling out, for now.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Please help with my SAR-1" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!