.38 Special loads

PDA

candt
September 10, 2004, 11:34 PM
Hi guys. I need some light loads for .38 special. I have a Lee loader that I am using to load up these rounds. I am using a 158 gr JHP from Winchester, Remington 1.5 primers, and Unique powder. After some research, I am having a hard time finding anything, but compiled this: 3.8 gr of Unique COL of 1.455." How does this sound? My Lyman manual is so different from my Lee manual in regards to min and max loads, I thought I would ask. The min from the Lyman manual is more than the max from the Lee manual.

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Special loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
September 10, 2004, 11:44 PM
The load you listed will be fine. Alliant lists a max of 4.2 with a 160 JSP for 800 FPS with a Fed 100 primer and 1.435". Your load will be quite soft, and well safe. If your loads suit you load up a pile of them, if you want a little more oomph you have quite a lot of room to go up. Unique will be a little dirty and sooty at that low pressure, but typically accuracy is good to great.

Your suggested load would be a VERY nice target load in most M14's and M15's.

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Special loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!