Tell me about the M4

PDA

Remander
September 11, 2004, 01:21 AM
I have seen lots of folks post about getting an M4 after the AWB sunset.

As a noob to rifles, please tell me what the M4 is and what it has to offer that cannot be purchased under the AWB.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about the M4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deej
September 11, 2004, 01:50 AM
It's basically a shorter version of the M16A2/3:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as17-e.htm

Strictly speaking, an M4/M4A1 is a post-86 class 3 weapon, not transferable to civilians. So most people have built (on pre-ban AR lowers) or are planning on building/buying ersatz M4-alikes (M4geries): AR lower, with 4-position collapsible stock, and a 16" M4 profile barrel, with bayonet lug and flash suppressor. (The M4 profile barrel has an integral mounting point/indentation for an M203 grenade launcher.)

The only things on an M4 assembled after the AWB expires, as opposed to one built on a "post-ban" lower before then, that would distinguish the two, would be: flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and collapsible stock.

Remander
September 11, 2004, 03:10 AM
flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and collapsible stock

OMG! Those things are legal now. "Watch the carnage begin!"

Just kidding, but that is what the L.A. Chief of Police said on Nightline last week re: the sunset.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like if I am not interested in those three features, no need to worry about whether a rifle is pre, post, during, or whatever the ban. Just buy a nice one, right?

trapshooter
September 11, 2004, 09:34 AM
Buy whatever you like. The only differences in the lower are the collapsible stock (with a different spring and buffer) and (possibly) a single point sling mount between the stock and reciever. All the other changes are on the upper. Flat top, forend rails, other stuff already mentioned by others, etc. All of this stuff will be legal on a 'post-ban' lower (it already is for 'pre-bans')after Monday. The stocks are a grape to change fairly quickly, and swapping uppers takes about thirty seconds when you aren't in a hurry.

So, with the right equipment, you can go from an EBR to a really EBR in a couple of minutes. If you are NFA Class 3 capable, you can do the real deal, too. All it takes is money and a Class 3 lower + $200 for Uncle Sugar. Bring money.:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me about the M4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!