Couple SMLE pictures

PDA

Gordon
September 11, 2004, 02:11 PM
2004-07-25-1107-41

If you enjoyed reading about "Couple SMLE pictures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gordon
September 11, 2004, 02:15 PM
Dammit I still can't export pictures out of my stupid adobe files!:fire: :cuss:

jame
September 11, 2004, 06:24 PM
I still struggle with the picture post thing, but I can post a link of mine:

nemesis
September 11, 2004, 06:45 PM
You must've got the wrong picture. That one shows No. 4's and No. 4's aren't Smelly's.

SMLE
September 11, 2004, 06:54 PM
I can post them if you like. Also, check out my web page. Got some cool info for Lee Enfield fans.

www.SmellySMLEShooters.net :D

http://www.smellysmleshooters.net/moira_tricolour.jpg

jame
September 11, 2004, 06:56 PM
Ah, my error then. I thought a British SMLE included the No1's through 5's.
The exploded view at Numrich shows them as SMLE's, unless I'm mistaken. (Again!)
What's an SMLE look like, if that's the case?:confused:

SMLE
September 11, 2004, 07:04 PM
SMLE stands for Short Magazine Lee Enfield. This is the common acronym. The more proper designation is Rifle, Short Lee Enfield. After WWI, the nomenclature was changed and the ShtLE became the Rifle, #1 MkIII, The .22 cal. trainer was the Rifle, #2 and the Patt. 1914 became the Rifle, #3 MkI.

Johnny Guest
September 12, 2004, 02:40 PM
Members nemesis and SMLE - -

You correct another member above for calling the wrong model an SMLE. Okay, then, which rifles are properly termed SMLE? And, what term should I use for my No. 4 Mk 1? I mean, for short.

Thanks - -
Johnny

SMLE
September 12, 2004, 04:05 PM
what term should I use for my No. 4 Mk 1? Just call it a number 4 or a number 4 rifle..

nemesis
September 12, 2004, 07:08 PM
You correct another member above for calling the wrong model an SMLE. Okay, then, which rifles are properly termed SMLE? And, what term should I use for my No. 4 Mk 1? I mean, for short.

No. 1's are still SMLE's and Number 4's are Number 4's.

Remember, the term/acronym SMLE had been dropped from nomenclature long before No. 4's were introduced (as a No. 1, Mk V or Mk VI, around 1926) or put into service (1936?). There was no point in the history, development, manufacture or use of the No. 4 where it was referenced as an SMLE.

It would not be inappropriate to simply refer to it as a Lee Enfield or an Enfield. I do.

Gordon
September 12, 2004, 09:09 PM
Well then I don't have any short model lee enfields. The pictures I can't extract from my files are of a #5 and a # 4 both beautifully sporterized.:o

swingset
September 13, 2004, 12:49 AM
No need for ambiguity. All Enfields are called "Smellies".

:D

fistful
September 13, 2004, 12:57 AM
Now, now, brethren...and sistren, let's not put down another man's rifle by calling it smelly. Could be worse, they could be into those abominable AR-thingies. SMLE. Let's call them "Smilies"! There, isn't that better?

SMLE
September 13, 2004, 12:58 PM
You're both close, but not quite there yet.
They're only "smellys" until you get the old cosmo off and go shooting. THEN they're "smilies" :D

Johnny Guest
September 15, 2004, 10:40 AM
My only examples of this general type are a No. 4 Mk 1, still rack grade stock, and a decently sporterized (prior to my ownership!) No. 5. As long as it's proper to call 'em Enfields or Lee Enfields . . . .

;)
Johnny

threeseven
September 16, 2004, 05:04 AM
My heavy-barrelled No.1 MkIII SMLE.

http://www.planetquake.com/runbob/ns/img/heavysmle.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Couple SMLE pictures" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!