PDA

shermacman
September 11, 2004, 08:41 PM
Rarely am I speechless....

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=43759

Fires of hell fuel mass destruction of weapons: No tears as guns melt
By Laurel J. Sweet
Saturday, September 11, 2004

The early morning wake was sparsely attended by a handful of Boston cops willing to take turns intoning the names of the departed: Carl Walther, William Ruger, Smith and Wesson.

No one paid their respects.

`Some of them you remember,'' Sgt. Detective James O'Shea said with a dismissive shrug, ``but for the most part, it's adios.

`After a while, you get sick of looking at them.''

All of them tagged and some of them bagged, 200 firearms connected to every manner of mayhem save murder were damned to the fires of hell yesterday. In a little-known twist of fate, they will be resurrected and put back on the city's streets - as manhole covers.

`It's like a public service,'' said Walter Burt, cupola supervisor at the century-old LeBaron Foundry in Brockton, where the Boston Police Department cremates hundreds of illegal and surrendered handcannons, rifles, shotguns and toy pistols every month.

And nary a tear is shed beside the pyre.

`They end up violently,'' Burt said with a devilish grin. ``We figure every one of the guns that goes in is one less that's going to wind up in somebody's hand. And if we're getting them, then someone's using them to do something wrong.''

If you enjoyed reading about "The Fires of Hell..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stickjockey
September 11, 2004, 09:25 PM
"In other news, the City Council has proposed another 3% property tax increase, citing falling revenues as the reason. "We just won't have the revenue to fund public services like police and fire departments without this increase," said Councilman B.D. Fellow.:rolleyes:

Mulliga
September 11, 2004, 10:38 PM
200 firearms connected to every manner of mayhem save murder

Hell is New York City's gun laws. Note that none of these guns were used in a murder - I wonder how many were confiscated from law-abiding citizens?

Standing Wolf
September 11, 2004, 10:46 PM
They're burning guns and letting criminals walk the streets. The founding fathers would weep.

deej
September 11, 2004, 10:50 PM
the Boston Police Department cremates hundreds of illegal and surrendered handcannons, rifles, shotguns and toy pistols every month.

Would a handcannon be considered a DD?

aguyindallas
September 12, 2004, 09:50 AM
Ok, if they had the brains to sell these guns. Lets say that they average $150.00 each (you have to account for the crap Lorcin, Hi-Point, Jennings stuff).

200 X $150.00 = $30,000.

Could they not have used the cash to perhaps buy new/more body armor or new/more duty weapons or a new patrol car or ?

NNNOOOOOOOOO, lets take this pile of cash and throw it in the fire. Now THAT makes sense!

I know this happens all over the country, but c'mon people, how stupid is this???!!!

Tamara
September 12, 2004, 10:31 AM
We have returned to a more dark and superstitious era, when ignorant people would charge the sword with murder.

Don Gwinn
September 12, 2004, 09:01 PM
I like how they talk about making "manhole covers," implying that they'll get enough metal out so that the manhole cover in front of your house will be made of 416 stainless.

In reality, 200 guns probably translates to about 5-6 cubic inches of solid metal suitable for inclusion with the cast iron that makes up a manhole cover. :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago, while visiting my in-laws in a Chicagoland suburb, I saw a newspaper article about a gun destruction--they were going to melt down several thousand confiscated guns and use them to make rebar for highway construction so they could be turned from evil to good.

It was noted in the story without apparent irony that there would be enough rebar for up to 2-3 feet of highway. :banghead:

Moparmike
September 12, 2004, 09:08 PM
We figure every one of the guns that goes in is one less that's going to wind up in somebody's hand. And if we're getting them, then someone's using them to do something wrong.''Yes, guns can only be used for wrong.

Like sidearms for these gun-grabbing police, for example.:rolleyes:

Tharg
September 12, 2004, 09:28 PM
Heh -

there is the devils advocate side of things.

Since they were siezed weapons, it could be against the law to use/sell them. I'm not a lawyer and know nothing about boston's laws (state or city) but it could very well be that destroying them is the only "allowed" prcedure.

just playing the devil... specially since all the guns are comming to here cause they are EEEEEVVVILLLLLllllll (sometimes its good to be satan)(ROFL)

J/Tharg!

(Devil looks to underling, hey - package those there lorcans and bryco's and send em on up to heaven... would ya? Thanks... )

If you enjoyed reading about "The Fires of Hell..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!