At a Gunshow today


PDA






kbsrn
September 11, 2004, 09:43 PM
I was at a gunshow today and the dealers were saying they had been told by importers that large shipments of former American weapons were being readied for shippment here as soon as the ban ended. They said that M1's, M1 carbine, and others were ready to go and would be shipped as soon as the ban ended. Has anyone else heard that? I thought that stuff was blocked by executive order and not the ban.
Does anyone know?

If you enjoyed reading about "At a Gunshow today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
September 11, 2004, 09:48 PM
I believe nothing made in the USA is affected by the Executive Order.

PMDW
September 11, 2004, 09:48 PM
I didn't think those were covered by anything.

Jim K
September 11, 2004, 10:48 PM
AFAIK, the ban on re-importation of U.S. military weapons provided to other countries under a MAP dates back to 1968 and is not part of the AWB. The change Clinton made was to order BATF to strictly enforce the part of the law that allows importation of arms "suitable for sporting purposes" by not issuing waivers for semi-auto weapons. That was not done under the AWB and will not be affected by its expiration.

I doubt the importers are ignorant of the law; I think this is another gun show story.

Jim

OEF_VET
September 12, 2004, 02:23 AM
Jim,

The "sporting-purpose" importation ban was a gift of the father of the current President, not the Dishonable William Jefferson Clinton.

Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "At a Gunshow today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!