Length of pull for youth rifle?

PDA

griz
February 21, 2003, 09:37 AM
I'm turning a bolt action 22 into a gun suitable for a boy about 8 or 9 years old (with supervison of course). What would a good length of pull be? If somebody has one of those little factory guns and can measure it I would appreciate it. I think it's called a Chipmunk or something like that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Length of pull for youth rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Edward429451
February 21, 2003, 09:56 AM
I dont have a chipmunk but my sons youth express shotgun has a 12-1/2" LOP. The chipmunks may even be shorter, not sure.

larryw
February 21, 2003, 08:14 PM
Henry Minibolt and Chipmunk are both 11 1/2". The Daisy BB gun (Grizzly) is 12 1/2"; its LOP is a bit long for my 7-year old son (he's a big kid).

griz
February 22, 2003, 07:11 AM
Thanks guys, that's what I needed.:)

Art Eatman
February 22, 2003, 11:56 AM
Roughly: With the arm bent at the elbow, hold the empty rifle or shotgun with the finger on the trigger as though ready to shoot. The butt of the stock should barely touch the bottom of the bicep.

A caveat is to consider what clothing will be worn. A winter jacket would mean a somewhat shorter length of pull, particularly for a deer hunter up north. It's more critical for a shotgunner, given the more rapid mounting for a shot.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Length of pull for youth rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!