Multiple guns?

PDA

Combat-wombat
September 12, 2004, 04:47 AM
I just can't understand why people would have two or more of the same gun. Don't get me wrong- I completely can see having the same guns, but in different configurations (like a 1911 for competition, one for carry, one for HD or an AR carbine, an AR 20" rifle, and so on)...

But I have seen more than one example of people just having, say, 3 unaltered Yugo SKS'. Is there any point to that? If it were me, I'd get one Yugo SKS and spend the rest on some other gun(s)- something new and different.

If you enjoyed reading about "Multiple guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LAK
September 12, 2004, 05:15 AM
I like the idea.

With several identical favored pieces you can shoot them all some, select the one which performs most reliably and accurately (if there is a significant difference) for business - and shoot the worst of the lot to death. For most people that means you will probably never have to go looking for another, especially when you might need one the most.

biere
September 12, 2004, 07:24 AM
Having the same barrel length should give more equal performance from the bullet with a more consistant bullet drop between each gun. The sight radius would also be the same.

I can see both ways working, just depends on what someone prefers.

I kind of like things being identical just so the guns have about the same performance with equal rounds.

glock23
September 12, 2004, 07:51 AM
my first guns where revolvers.i had a 4" for a range gun/house gun,and i had a 2.5 for carry,both where identical sw 357 magnums ss.now i have a 1911 5" as my night stand gun,and i have a 4" indentical 1911 i swicth up carring with a g23 (this is not a cheap hobbie if you get bit by the gun bug)

FPrice
September 12, 2004, 08:00 AM
Having multiple guns of a particular model can be beneficial in some aspects. If it is a carry or self-defense firearm then you have a back-up if the primary firearm is down for some reason (e.g., maintenance) which requires no different manual of arms.

And then some of us just like to collect different variations of a basic model.

It's all individual taste.

boofus
September 12, 2004, 10:59 AM
Two safe queens and a shooter?

BlkHawk73
September 12, 2004, 11:29 AM
I always felt the same way too. I did buy two of the Ruger Acusport Bisleys in the same chambering - one to shoot and one to put away. If I didn't get the second at a good price I wouldn't have bought it. I'd buy other simialr models (diff bbl length/finish/cal) but to own two of the same to use just is odd to me. I suppose in CASS, it's a diffeent story but otherwise I'd see it only being a collector's fancy. But hey...TEHO (to each his own)

jobu07
September 12, 2004, 11:42 AM
Ok, how about all the folks out there with multiple mil-surps. M1's for instance. Why have so many of the same? My guess is as good as yours, but perhaps it's the historical significance of these particular guns, and just immersing yourself in so much history is plain ol' fun (albeit expensive...). I dunno, i don't have any dups in my gun collection. A couple of mosin's, but they are different models. Again, to each this own. I wouldn't mind having several of some of my rifles... :)

Chipperman
September 12, 2004, 11:49 AM
No two guns are exactly the same.

The manufacturers have been kind enough to put a unique SN on each to make sure of that. :D

I have doubles of a few guns. For me the reason was simple. I have twin sons, and I wanted them to each have one of that particular model.

Before my sons were born, I preferred to get different models, rather than two of the same.

Preacherman
September 12, 2004, 11:50 AM
- Multiple variants of a single weapon can be important to a collector.

- For self-defence, bear in mind that if you successfully defend yourself against an attacker, even if you are legally as pure as the driven slush, the police will still confiscate your weapon for anywhere between six months and four years, to do ballistics checks and hold for potential use as evidence. If you want to carry something similar during that period, better have a spare (or two)!

- If you buy an older gun to use as a regular shooter, spare parts may be an issue. It's not a bad idea to buy two or three of them, so that one can be cannibalized for parts to keep the other two running.

- If you plan on training a lot (as you should!), a gun used for training can get "beaten up" quite a bit. (For example, a typical advanced handgun course at Thunder Ranch or Gunsite can go through 2,000 rounds in a week without even trying, as well as having the gun grounded, dropped, worked hard in malfunction drills, etc.). If you want to keep your "carry" gun in good condition, it's worth having a duplicate of it as your "training" gun, to accumulate the dirt, scratches and abuse.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I've only just woken up, and my poor brain can't think of them right now...

Smoke
September 12, 2004, 12:07 PM
Where's El Tejon when you need him?

Multiple guns have lots of practical purposes. "Beware the man with one gun...or multiple copies of one gun"

When or needs to go to the smith for work or mods another is there in it's place to do the job.

I only have multiple, meaning exact copies of two guns. Para ordnance P14.45 Limited, purchased because I loved the first and found a screaming deal on the second (and read too many of El T's posts) and two Ruger Vaqueros....because everyone needs a fancy two-gun cowboy rig.

Smoke

El Tejon
September 12, 2004, 12:10 PM
Combat, because all guns break, young man. Crunch all you want, we'll make more.:D

berettaman
September 12, 2004, 01:18 PM
It's the "potato chip" factor.:p

Old Dog
September 12, 2004, 03:45 PM
gotta go with what El Tejon said ... it's great to have an identical replacement for one's favorite gun if something happens to it ... for guns that I carry/shoot the most, I look at it like I do my boots -- I rotate 'em, so as to extend service life ...

ZeroX
September 12, 2004, 03:55 PM
The only reason I would have two of the same would be for the already-mentioned two gun cowboy rig. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

M2 Carbine
September 12, 2004, 07:06 PM
Multiple guns?
--------------------------

WHY?

Because I want them.:D

FPrice
September 12, 2004, 08:42 PM
"Multiple guns?
--------------------------

WHY?"

WHY NOT?

Combat-wombat
September 12, 2004, 08:51 PM
The "Why not" for me is simply that I'd like more new guns to expand my collection with instead of spending more money on the same thing.

gezzer
September 12, 2004, 08:59 PM
Because I can.

Moparmike
September 12, 2004, 09:04 PM
Combat, have you never seen a John Woo movie? :scrutiny:

Dionysusigma
September 12, 2004, 09:18 PM
If I had the age and money, I would buy Berettas in sets of two. :D

Until I get all my niches filled, the only reason I can see for buying two of the same gun is consecutive serial numbers... once heard a story about a distant relative presenting a pair of finely engraved, silver and gold accented revolvers with consecutive serial #s as a wedding gift to his best friend.

Hmm... note to self... ;)

Trebor
September 12, 2004, 09:56 PM
I actually prefer to have multiples of the same gun. If I find a gun I like, for whatever purpose, than I like to have a second example as a back up if the first breaks or is otherwise unavailable.

This is especially true for defensive guns. I don't care if the finish is different, but I want the guns to handle exactly the same and be outfitted very similiarly. That's why I have two CZ-75's (one hard-chromed customized "A" model and a stock "B" model for backup), two 3" K-frame Smith .357's (Model 13 and Model 65) and two Makarovs.

Now that I'm married, this is even more important as my wife discovers what she likes to shoot. She's already claimed my ONE Ruger MK II (see, I should have had two) and has her eyes on one of my CZ-75's. We bought the two 3" Smith's just so we could each have one as a carry gun. This way we are each as comfortable with the other's carry gun as we are with our own. We'll probably never need that interchangability, but it's nice to have.

As far as rifles go, I really like both the Swedish Mauser 96 and M-1 Garand. It's nice to have a spare of each in case something breaks in one or it's temporarily redlined.

M2 Carbine
September 12, 2004, 10:15 PM
Combat-wombat

I just can't understand why people would have two or more of the same gun. Don't get me wrong- I completely can see having the same guns, but in different configurations (like a 1911 for competition, one for carry, one for HD or an AR carbine, an AR 20" rifle, and so on)...

But I have seen more than one example of people just having, say, 3 unaltered Yugo SKS'. Is there any point to that? If it were me, I'd get one Yugo SKS and spend the rest on some other gun(s)- something new and different.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are assuming buying multiple guns of the same type is stopping the buyer from getting some other gun that he might want.

It stands to reason if the buyer wanted something else, he would buy it.

I just bought my 12th and 13th Makarov, because I wanted a 12th and 13th Makarov.

I didn't want a 10th M1/2 Carbine or a 3rd M1 Garand or a 5th Kimber or a 4th Polish P-64 or a 7th S&W or etc, etc.

It's like you hear when a shooter buys a 9mm Storm and someone always says why did you buy a 9mm rifle when you could have bought an AR 223.

BECAUSE he didn't WANT the AR, he WANTED the Storm. :)

sm
September 13, 2004, 01:46 AM
:uhoh:
I was born in '55 , shot my first 1911 at age 6 ( carry the one) That'd be 1961 ..., then not long after I discovered S&W J & K frames....umm my preference is still 1911 style and J/ K frames. These have been what I mostly have bought , still buy. All this before I ever heard of El Tejon.

Elders / mentors : "Shoot one gun and know it"...."when the elephant charges is NOT a good time to figure out what you are carrying at that moment"...have at least 4 guns set up the same...and one is hidden elsewhere".

I'm not redundent - hell I'm a relic. :D

I'm just as bad on Shotguns, and rifles... Us Relics do that....:p

cratz2
September 13, 2004, 01:46 AM
Well, I'd say about half of the handguns I've bought over the last five years have been 1911 or CZ designs... plus a few odds and ends SIGs, Glocks etc... So essentially I have done basically what you are talking about, just not identical models.

My primary carry is currently a CZ PCR and if I were to buy a handgun tomorrow it would be one of the mongrel CZ P04/CZ40s or whatever they are called... the P-01 frame with the 40 slide. Again, not quite identical, but extremely similar.

Honestly I'd be pretty happy with a pair of NRM Colts, a pair of PCRs or P-01s and a conversion unit for the Colts.

You mention specifically the multiple SKSs... if someone is happy with the SKS, they are an unbelievable deal for what they are... I see no reason not to own a few. There isn't really much else you can get at that price range that offers the same level of quick firepower...

Aikibiker
September 13, 2004, 10:30 AM
The correct answer is: "Why not?"

It may also, at some point, be useful to be able to equip your own rifle squad should the mutant zombie biker bears come riding over the hill.

noonanda
September 13, 2004, 10:51 AM
Another reason for multipe purchases of the same model are the different variations. World War 2 rifles are a perfect example. There are so many different makers of the K-98 mausers such as DOT, DOU, BNZ, etc and they all have different codes and different years of manufacture. The M-1 garand and Japanese Arisakas are another example. Different arsenals had different codes. There are slight differences in the Yugo M-59/66 SKS's, such as night sights with Trinium, The variations of the grenade launcher. Plus he may have bought 3, and is only going to keep the best one.
I personally think guns are like Pringles, "you cant have just one"

45R
September 13, 2004, 11:43 AM
Have Skunk and I been rubbing off on you the wrong was with the 92s and 226s :)

Skunkabilly
September 13, 2004, 03:32 PM
I just can't understand why people would have two or more of the same gun

Two words: Hard Boiled.

:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Multiple guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!