The AWB did indeed lead to a safer America...

PDA

Justin
September 12, 2004, 08:16 PM
I submit that the ban on assault weapons did indeed lead to a safer America.

After all, as a result of its passage, the Democrats lost control of Congress.

*rimshot*
:D

(Heard this one from one of our engineers.)

If you enjoyed reading about "The AWB did indeed lead to a safer America..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fletcher
September 12, 2004, 09:01 PM
ouch :p

Moparmike
September 12, 2004, 09:10 PM
One of the ABC engineers?:eek:

*goes and checks the temperature of Hell*

Kaylee
September 12, 2004, 09:18 PM
:D

Tharg
September 12, 2004, 09:22 PM
ROFLMAO :evil:

iamkris
September 12, 2004, 09:32 PM
Not only that but I'd posit that the AWB created a significant UPSURGE in the interest in and purchase of so called "evil assault weapons".

Publicity + new weapons created to skirt the sham of a law = More guns in the hands of honest citizens = a good thing

Standing Wolf
September 12, 2004, 10:03 PM
Kind of like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer so your back will hurt less.

cadfael
September 12, 2004, 10:42 PM
Actually, I think the mag limit led to the development of lower capacity, more concealable pistols. With the spread of CCW laws, these new pistols actually get more day to day use.

Adam

Justin
September 12, 2004, 10:47 PM
One of the ABC engineers? Surprisingly enough local affiliate stations generally don't lean as heavily to the left as the national stations. This of course varies by geographic location. The affiliate I work for here in The Springs is locally owned and in a conservative town, as a result the viewpoints of the employees tends to mimic those of the population at large.

Still, we have to take orders from The Mouse, and do air national packages put together by ABC Nooze in NYC.

Oh, and while I'm at it...

Michael Eisner sucks.

armoredman
September 12, 2004, 10:58 PM
Our local news was fair and balanced about the end of the ban. All I want are 4 hicap CZ PO1 mags....I will get an FAL much later.

Parker Dean
September 12, 2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Justin
Go team Venture!

And just how many here do you figure recognize where that comes from? Besides me, of course :)

"Told you what I'd do for one of these..." :D

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 12, 2004, 11:01 PM
I'm sure somewhere out there is information detailing how the 'rush' to buy up mags and 'pre-bans' dumped X amount of dollars into the economy in '94. I'm sure there will be a corresponding pent-up demand for normal magazines and accessories in the next year that will hopefully funnel some profits to long-suffering domestic manufacturers.

...and yes. one 'unintended consequence' was the development of large caliber well-received CCW pieces with 10 round (and less) capacities.

I sure like those little chopped jobbies :D

Regards,
Rabbit.

BryanP
September 12, 2004, 11:01 PM
Michael Eisner sucks.

Then I'll bet you REALLY enjoyed Shrek, since Lord Fahrquad is supposedly a parody of Eisner. Except that when they're talking about him they call him "Lord F***wad."

And of course that had nothing to do with the fact that Jeffery Katzenberg despises Eisner. ;)

DWS1117
September 13, 2004, 02:01 AM
:D :D :D

PATH
September 13, 2004, 02:13 AM
I am loving this!:D :D :neener: :D

Jim March
September 13, 2004, 06:57 AM
Well actually, those 10 years with the 10rd limit produced a revolution in CCW-compatible weapons. We ended up with small autos in 9mm/40/etc that were set up to get the most size-efficiency out of the limit; the Glock 27 and it's relatives are a classic example.

We also saw the wheelgun vendors up their horsepower-per-size ratio to try and compete, leading to J-Frame and similar 357Magnums and ultimately the TI/Scandiums.

Would any of this happened anyways? Maybe. The increase in shall-issue CCW states across the same time period helped too...but the 10rd limit at a minimum sped the process up.

Those new small guns aren't going to go away. And there'll still be new competitors in the class.

We don't need the ban anymore, but there's no denying we got quite a bit out of it in return.

El Tejon
September 13, 2004, 09:56 AM
How true that is!:D

sigman69
September 13, 2004, 11:13 AM
hahahaha that is great

Justin
September 13, 2004, 11:32 AM
Then I'll bet you REALLY enjoyed Shrek, since Lord Fahrquad is supposedly a parody of Eisner. Except that when they're talking about him they call him "Lord F***wad."

And of course that had nothing to do with the fact that Jeffery Katzenberg despises Eisner.

You have raised 'Shrek' from being a movie that I really like to one that is permanently in my Top 10 list.

So, Eisner is despised by both Dreamworks and Pixar. Being hated by the two major CG motion picture production houses has got to be some kind of feat.

john l
September 13, 2004, 11:32 AM
Another overlooked advantage, if you can call it an advantage, is that people and companies found ways to import disassembled weapon systems like the FAL and AKs to USA and providing american made parts to allow them to be legally owned in their original configuration ( excluding full auto, of course).
I think there are some out there who own certain foreign millitary guns today that they wouldn't have owned if not for the ban.

The other issue was hi caps. I found it mildly amusing to still see "brand new" pre-ban glock hicaps for -only- $120.00. Nice to see that someone out there found a 9 year old stash somewhere. ( tongue firmly in cheek )

john l

fletcher
September 13, 2004, 11:42 AM
I'm not so sure about safer now, all the AK-47s, Uzis, and blood of babies in the streets almost made me late for class today ;)

cerberus
September 13, 2004, 11:58 AM
Both parties tried using the ban to show the voting public that they were doing great things to make the USA safer.:rolleyes: It was just a stupid ploy that really did nothing to make anything any safer.:uhoh: Both parties should really give this failure some real thinking before trying anything so dumb again.:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "The AWB did indeed lead to a safer America..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!