Info Requested on Winchester Model 12

PDA

TrapperReady
February 21, 2003, 12:03 PM
I've got a Winchester Model 12 that's been in my family for 3 generations, and I'm trying to figure out when it was originally manufactured.

The serial # is in the 301xxx range, and it is one of the nickel steel models. It has a 28" full-choked barrel and all original hardware. The bluing is original and in 90% condition, although there are a couple small scratches on the receiver.

The wood is in very good shape, with only a few small dings on the stock, although there is a small split (2 cm long) on the right ride of the forearm.

This gun would never be sold, but I would be interested to know its approximate value for insurance purposes.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Info Requested on Winchester Model 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BADSBSNF81
February 21, 2003, 01:38 PM
1921 or 22 depending on which book you read. Replacement value would be in the 500-700 range.

TrapperReady
February 21, 2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks a lot! I thought my dad told me it had been purchased new in 1922, but I couldn't fully trust my memory.

Alex
February 21, 2003, 06:04 PM
In my area the value of model 12's seems to be quite low lately. I've bought two model 12's in the last year for excellent prices. One was manufactured in 1936 and the other was made in the late 1940's. Both were in 85% plus condition and both were purchased for under $300. It's a good time to buy them, but I don't think it would be a good time to sell.

If you enjoyed reading about "Info Requested on Winchester Model 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!