Rhineland Arms R22?

PDA

BryanP
September 12, 2004, 07:48 PM
This supposedly comes out later this month. Takes 10/22 mags and looks nice and evil. I am severely tempted. Anybody know much about this company and their products?

http://www.rhinelandarms.com

R22 is the first link under "Rifles" on the left.

http://www.rhinelandarms.com/R22/pics/r22g2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Rhineland Arms R22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sactown
September 12, 2004, 08:35 PM
what a weird coincidence. I just emailed them this morning about availability.

Otony
September 12, 2004, 09:00 PM
I am totally floored. I WILL have one of these ASAP!

cookhj
September 12, 2004, 09:10 PM
the folks over at falfiles.com regard thomas (rhineland 1) pretty highly. he's a member over there and posts fairly regularly. here's his thread about the rifle with a few pics...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118347&highlight=rhineland

BryanP
September 12, 2004, 09:24 PM
Cool, thanks for the link. I like it particularly because it's ideal for a comparison shot with a stock Ruger 10/22. "Why is one evil and the other not?" sort of thing.

cpileri
September 12, 2004, 09:30 PM
I'd still rather have one of those 9mm ones that take the 71-rd suomi drums!
That's the Rhineland for me.
C-

Dbl0Kevin
September 12, 2004, 09:38 PM
It WILL be mine.....oh yes......it will be mine! :eek:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 12, 2004, 10:06 PM
He's just up the road from me. I've considered making a drive up to see his shop.

Maybe I need to do that for 'journalistic purposes' :D

He also makes a cute conversion for large/small ring Mausers and Enfields to .45ACP using a 1911 magazine, either as a complete unit or a DIY kit.

I'll try to get him to sign on here as a member if he isn't already.

Regards,
Rabbit.

BryanP
September 12, 2004, 10:26 PM
I may get one later this year as a Christmas present to myself, assuming he gets production going.

fistful
September 13, 2004, 07:47 PM
He also makes a cute conversion for large/small ring Mausers and Enfields to .45ACP using a 1911 magazine What for?

Sactown
September 13, 2004, 08:12 PM
Here's Rhineland's reply:

Hello, the rifle is undergoing preproduction testing. It should be in
production in a couple days. Still working on getting a OK letter from
Cali DOJ.

Snorkel Bob
September 14, 2004, 02:21 AM
Wonder why he is looking for on OK from Cali DOJ. SB23 only applies to semi-auto centerfire rifles. Probabaly just covering his ass though

Sactown
September 14, 2004, 09:17 PM
Wonder why he is looking for on OK from Cali DOJ. SB23 only applies to semi-auto centerfire rifles. Probabaly just covering his ass though

That's what I was thinking too.

MrMurphy
September 14, 2004, 09:21 PM
It's a .22 caliber H&K! :)

ninjalawyer
September 15, 2004, 10:46 AM
Hey, there's a new pic up in the FALfiles of an R22 with flash suppressor :)
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118347

Rhinelandarms
September 16, 2004, 11:39 PM
We did get a OK to sell this thing in California. I just wanted them to spell it out.

I will get some more pics up soon of this rifle.

Roz
September 17, 2004, 12:07 AM
I'm lining up for one of these things too! Thank god I live in Houston now and will be able to drive over to pick it up myself. Are you going to offer threaded barrels so that we may affix suppressors?

MrMurphy
September 17, 2004, 12:11 AM
With a 30-round magazine, just the thing for repelling wave after wave of Communist-horde attack squirrels squeaking "Banzai!" and attacking behind the cover of a walnut barrage..... :neener:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 17, 2004, 12:22 AM
Hiya Rhinelander...Welcome to THR.

Thanks for taking time to talk to me on the phone today. It was quite an experience. Glad to see you made it on over here.

I'm looking forward to meeting you one of these days and picking up my next new toys.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Rhinelandarms
September 18, 2004, 11:10 AM
These will not have threaded muzzles but I will try to have a set up for flashhiders. Maybe something like the Carbon 15s.

There has been a lot of demand for a folding stock so we will be looking into getting that going pretty soon. It will be a quality one like on the HK Ump.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus, good talking to you and thanks for pointing out the board.

SkaerE
September 19, 2004, 12:17 PM
no threaded barrel? on a 22?

horrid! - you really aught to reconsider that, 22lr cans are probably the most common suppressor out there. guess i'll have to get it threaded afterwards...

will it work with the 25, 30, and 50 rnd 10/22 mags? your website says it may not function with aftermarket mags, but not much else about that.

and what does it weigh in at?

EDITED to say i'm stoopid and should have looked for the price on your website first :evil:

thanks

Rhinelandarms
September 19, 2004, 11:52 PM
The weight is coming in at 6.5 pounds.

This works with most magazines, seems all but the Eagles. Right now most of the mags we have on hand are so old it is realy hard to tell what will realy work or not. I do not see a problem with the teardrop and drum shaped mags.

Sorry no threads, per the insurance company.

fistful
September 20, 2004, 12:46 AM
No, really, what's the point of converting Mausers and Enfields to 45 auto?

The_Antibubba
September 20, 2004, 01:51 AM
I really like that!! It'll take the 10/22 rotary mags?

SkaerE
September 20, 2004, 07:17 AM
Sorry no threads, per the insurance company.

what?!?

seriously? the insurance company is worried about threads on a 22lr barrel?

*** sense does that make?

what did the insurance company give you as a reason anyhow?

SLCDave
September 20, 2004, 01:14 PM
THAT has just been added to the want list.

Too bad there is so much ahead of it on the list...

Correia
September 20, 2004, 01:21 PM
That is super cool.

I want one now.

Harry Tuttle
September 20, 2004, 05:11 PM
http://www.rhinelandarms.com/R22/pics/r22ar15.jpg

Sactown
September 20, 2004, 05:15 PM
Alright Mr. Tuttle, enough with the tease. Let's hear your report!! I'm not really digging that two tone. My preference is all black. I'd also like to see some iron sights on that baby.

45R
September 20, 2004, 07:58 PM
I'm going to have to buy the kit!!!That looks pretty sweet. I wonder if there is an adaptor to make it look like a 20 round box :)

Harry Tuttle
September 20, 2004, 09:12 PM
not mine

just a snoop thru the picture directory

Rhinelandarms
September 20, 2004, 11:58 PM
The R22 does take 10/22 rotary mags perfectly. The rifle will not accept the Eagle mags unless you remove the extended mag lever.

Marketing a rifle with threads for the use of a suppresor or as a sniper rifle leave you open to lawsuites these days. However threads on a barrel with a flash hider or recoil reducer is ok, yes I know its stupid.

I may make barrels with flash hiders as I like the look as well but will have to wait until we catch up on production. With the Mausers, Enfields and the R22 the lathes are pretty busy.

Sactown
September 21, 2004, 01:13 AM
Any updates on iron sights and and all black model?

Rhinelandarms
September 21, 2004, 09:16 AM
The first finish we put on one of these was a all flat black finish. It looked terrible.

Will play around with it, maybe go with a semi gloss or another type of finish all together.

Working on a front sight to match the rear one.

Otony
September 21, 2004, 12:15 PM
I don't have a problem with the green. When do I send money? I am on the reserved list:D

Rhinelandarms
September 23, 2004, 10:50 AM
We have begun a techincal review of the new 17m2 and we will have a version in this caliber as well. It looks like all that will be needed to switch between the 17m2 and 22LR will be a barrel change and possibly a spring change.

The 17m2 will be available nearly the same time as the 22LR, it depends on the baqrrel price.

Rhinelandarms
September 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
Oops, enter button out of control.

Rhinelandarms
September 23, 2004, 10:57 AM

Rhinelandarms
September 23, 2004, 10:59 AM

BryanP
September 24, 2004, 09:44 PM
Will you be supplying G3-style iron sites that will fit these rifles as well? Or can I order those elsewhere?

Combat-wombat
September 25, 2004, 04:16 PM
Damn, I wish I would have bought that instead of my 10/22.

Rhinelandarms
September 29, 2004, 09:41 AM
The first couple production runs will not have iron sights. We do have a design for the front post that matches up nicely with the G3 rear drum sight, it will just take some time to get into production.

beardking
September 29, 2004, 03:07 PM
Rhineland, are you guys open to visitors coming over and umm, testing the products out a little? I live over in The Colony and that thing is just calling for me.

Rhinelandarms
October 4, 2004, 09:14 AM
As soon as we get going I think it would be great to have visitors. We will also be at Quail Creek Gun Range doing most of out testing.

We test every rifle before it ships, thats a lot of testing and ammo.

BryanP
October 6, 2004, 03:26 PM

"It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it." ;)

Harry Tuttle
October 6, 2004, 04:52 PM
what would the insurance guys say about this?:
http://premium.uploadit.org/docZox/r22g2z.jpg

lee n. field
October 6, 2004, 05:01 PM
No, really, what's the point of converting Mausers and Enfields to 45 auto?

The Deslisle carbine is muy cool. This is a way to get close to that.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
October 6, 2004, 08:45 PM
The Deslisle carbine is muy cool. This is a way to get close to that.

My point, exactly.

Imagine it in .50 AE!

Rhinelander, holler when you're ready for company at the shop.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Splat Shot
October 6, 2004, 09:50 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live right down the street from you guys. If you get a folder & flashider, I'm in. As soon as they come out, I volunteer to test my own rifle that I plan on buying from you. I'll even bring my own ammo. Let us know when things are ready to go.

beardking
October 6, 2004, 10:05 PM
Rhineland, it sounds like you have plenty of willing test subjects if you ever feel the need to open up testing to a select few locals. :D I'm first since I mentioned it first. :D

Rhinelandarms
October 7, 2004, 10:07 AM
That last picture was really great. The scale of the stock is almost perfect and I still cant figure out were the rock was patched.

We are working on getting the first production batch up to speed. Should be about there by middle of next week.

There are plenty of surprises left on this rifle as far as aftermarket parts, stocks and caliber changes to keep at least some of you happy.

I will probably post the testing days on the web site.

As far as the 50AE Enfield/Mausers go. We really thought about it but the cost of the barrels is way to high for us to consider for production at this time.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
October 7, 2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I remembered that you told me that about the high price of the barrels when we talked on the phone....after I posted. Pity.

Keep up the fine work. I definitely want to buy your stuff.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Harry Tuttle
October 7, 2004, 11:32 AM
i could justify having one of these in 17hrm or 17Mach2

i did see a web page last week wherein the maker was withdrawing semi auto 17M2 barrels do to pressure issues
http://www.tacticalsol.com/17%20mach%202/mach2.htm

that photoshop job was a 2 minute hack job, but web resolution is easy to spoof

Harry Tuttle
October 7, 2004, 12:21 PM
Photoshop sweetness:
http://premium.uploadit.org/docZox/r22g2zsrt.jpg

Rhinelandarms
October 7, 2004, 06:26 PM
Now that is slick.

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 11:49 AM
Awesome work! I emailed you and got on the next batch list soon as I saw it. Any updates? You told me around November, would that be end or beginning :)

Nice PS work, I actually want to do something like that with mine later, maybe not that extreme, but close :)

I have a question on finish. Is all black going to be an option? Also, the pieces are just hard anodized right? So I could get them redone after I mess with some things? Mostly just the front shroud.

Keep us posted, Looks like a great shooter.

Harry Tuttle
October 8, 2004, 01:31 PM
with the expiration of the assault pistol portion of the AWB,
other than specific state laws

i gather this is a pistol, just like any other semi auto pistol:
http://premium.uploadit.org/docZox/r22g2zsp.jpg

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 01:37 PM
Since your so good at that, how about doing me one with the original MP5 stock, and lengthen the shroud just a hair :) Thats what I want to do. Leave the vert grip on too.

How much ballistic wise do you gys think it would suffer by shortening the barrel a bunch? I wont be using it for long range stuff, just a nice small truck gun for bouncing around the desert pickin off varmints :)

Also, what are the implications of shortening the barrel and all , now that the ban is over, is it a free for all? Does a rifle HAVE to be a certian length?

Harry Tuttle
October 8, 2004, 01:44 PM
rifles have to be 26 inches OAL with the stock deployed

the barrel must be 16 inches from crown or end of permanant muzzel device to closed bolt

anything less requires a Short Barrelled Rifle paper & 200 bucks from the ATF

if it has no stock, its a pistol so it can have a short barrel
but you must be 18 to buy a pistol and most states have a wait for pick up and extra paperwork for pistols

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 01:47 PM
Not here in good ole AZ :)

kfranz
October 8, 2004, 02:01 PM
Front grip puts you in AOW territory....$5 transfer rather than $200.

Harry Tuttle
October 8, 2004, 02:52 PM
is this the "original" stock?
http://www.hkpro.com/mp5proto.jpg

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 02:57 PM
Sorry, I meant the original r22 stock.

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 02:59 PM
"Front grip puts you in AOW territory....$5 transfer rather than $200.'

Can you elaborate, or point me to some info?

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
October 8, 2004, 03:57 PM
Uh...Harry, it's 18 years of age for rifles and shotguns, 21 for pistols in most places.

Nice try, though. I like your wishful thinking :D .

Regards,
Rabbit.

Harry Tuttle
October 8, 2004, 04:11 PM
young whippersnappers
hows a fossil supposed to keep track of their issues?

:D

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
October 8, 2004, 04:29 PM
I hear ya. I used to go to the Western Auto downtown on my push scooter and trade in empty Coke bottles for a box of .22 longs when I was in short britches. Had to push that scooter 8 miles to the store and 14 miles back, in the dark through the snow in a plague of locusts.

Dang kids nowadays and their fancy-schmancy .480 Rugers...

Regards,
Rabbit.

Harry Tuttle
October 8, 2004, 04:31 PM
tasty:
http://premium.uploadit.org/docZox/r22g2mid.jpg

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 05:18 PM
Oh yeah man, thats what Im talking about, to bad it cant legally be done, that is perfect!!!!!

TheLastBoyScout
October 8, 2004, 05:36 PM
schweeet.

Harry Tuttle
October 8, 2004, 06:04 PM
for a 200 dollar SBR tax stamp it could be done

these are legal:
http://www.serbu.com/sus3s.jpg

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 07:26 PM
Is the tax stamp a per gun thing?

Do you have to justify the need for it to them? Where can I see more about it, i looked at ATF, what a crappy site.

Harry Tuttle
October 8, 2004, 09:11 PM
heres an faq on nfa items:
http://www.serbu.com/nfainfo.htm

-=DFOX=-
October 8, 2004, 10:56 PM
Since I would be building this myself (Shortening barrel, shroud) I guess I would have to wait until I get the stamp before I do it.

Domino
October 8, 2004, 11:21 PM
Since I would be building this myself (Shortening barrel, shroud) I guess I would have to wait until I get the stamp before I do it.
Most certainly. If you get caught with an SBR WITHOUT going through the legal process it could get you up to 10 years in a federal prison. When you think about it, the whole SBR thing doesn't really make any since, does it? I know they did it to target sawed-off shotguns and BAR's used by criminals but whats the big deal? I guess a lot of laws don't make too much since. Anyways, great pictures Harry! I'll be looking forward to one in .22 magnum ;)

45R
October 9, 2004, 09:11 AM
Rhinelandarms.
Will you be offering the R22 with a barrel for those of us who dont want to modify our 10/22 bull barrels?

45R

-=DFOX=-
October 10, 2004, 10:00 PM
I know it sounds crazy for just a .22, but Im gonna go for the stamp thing and builf that last style. Just looks like a fun toy, hell, Ive spent more on paintball guns :)

Rhinelandarms
October 13, 2004, 07:03 PM
I have to agree with the Stamp thing. Some of those creations by Mr Tuttle are too much for me to resist. The the guys doing the machining are going nuts over those as well.

-=DFOX=-
October 13, 2004, 07:05 PM
I've already started saving my allowance :)

Any updates on the next batch?

Rhinelandarms
October 13, 2004, 08:03 PM
Yes, the demand was strong enough that was able to double the Oct production and add all current customers to that list. The parts are in the middle of production now but I can not tell when they will be finished. There is a lot of QC that goes on with the first batch and that realy slows everything down.

KaceCoyote
October 13, 2004, 08:27 PM
Put factory sights on it and I'm sold......

RevDisk
October 13, 2004, 08:30 PM
Rhinelandarms,

If you bring any of Mr Turtle's creations to life, I'll bring ya a bunch of customers... Personally, my favorite would be the AOW version...

KaceCoyote
October 13, 2004, 08:40 PM
I know atleast 2 guys who'd snag one, with whatever finish and a folding buttstock. Still the lack've iron sights is a killer for me..if you guys can offer atleast iron sights standard around early november(my B-DAY) I'm 100% sold. THis thing s WICKED.

Rhinelandarms
October 13, 2004, 08:45 PM
It is pretty safe to say that we will not be offering the AOW version or the other chopped versions. However I will certainly support any class2 mfg that choses to do the shorty versions. I just want to be customer number 1. I like the one with the Mp5 stock even though it will not work without lots of work.

The iron sights are on the way. No problem with the rear sight either ours or using a standard G3 drum sight. Its the front sight we are working on. It will most likely require some new molds. I will make them look like a PSG1 front sight.

-=DFOX=-
October 13, 2004, 09:04 PM
Im already on the reserve list, short or long, Im getting one :)

Harry Tuttle
October 13, 2004, 10:08 PM
will photoshop for guns

i will gin up a shorty one with a faux suppressor for an OAL 16 inch barrel

will beta c make a 17m2 200 round drum?
:evil:

i've looked at the HK folding stock,
it looks like the lower ejection port on the R22 would be blocked by the folded stock

Rhinelandarms
November 3, 2004, 08:38 PM
We are finially in full production on the first batch of rifles. They should be ready soon for those of you waiting.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
November 3, 2004, 10:47 PM
HUZZAH!

Keep 'em rolling!

When can we come play?

Regards,
Rabbit.

Rhinelandarms
November 4, 2004, 06:27 PM
We just started running samples on the colors. The Grey/Black is looking pretty good if I can take some pics of the sample I will post those.

This is my blaster configuration
http://www.rhinelandarms.com/R22/pics/r22aimpoint1.jpg

Hoploholic
November 4, 2004, 10:11 PM
Awesome Thomas. When can I send you some money? :P

-=DFOX=-
November 16, 2004, 02:27 PM
Sweet, Im ready for a Black/Gray. Nov 16th, cant be to far off now ehh?

-=DFOX=-
December 8, 2004, 10:42 AM
Any news on these? I havnt heard a peep, already sent my FFl in, and yes......I'm anxious!!!!!!!

OldWolf
December 10, 2004, 07:59 AM
Rhinelandarms,

You have a very nice looking rifle there.

Would you report on the accuracy you are obtaining in tests and also a comparison of accuracy between the bull barrel and the standard barrel?

I assume you have worked out any operational problems but a report on that subject would be very interesting to read.

Can you make a pdf version of your R22 manual available?

The bull barrel looks to be SS. Is the standard barrel chromoly? The complete rifle price for both versions is the same?

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
December 10, 2004, 09:01 PM
Ok, it's been awhile now, Rhineland...

I have three questions...

1). How's production coming...new photos?

2). What's the price out your front door for a face to face transaction?

3). Can I get a personalized serial number?

Holler.

Regards,
Rabbit.

OldWolf
December 12, 2004, 12:25 PM
Since these rifles use the AR-15 trigger group which is just fine for your basic AR, have they been dressed up for a lighter release since this is sold as a target rifle?

Does anyone in the group actually HAVE ONE at home?

Thx.

greg531mi
December 12, 2004, 07:56 PM
Mr Murphy, Squirrel hunting must be really stressfull on you!!!!!
Nice gun, the big question....how much???

BryanP
February 22, 2005, 10:36 PM
Rhineland Arms is sending out notices to those who signed up. Expected ship date for the first rifles is March 1st with an estimated cost of $335.

I can't order one right now myself, life intrudes. :(

mini14jac
March 18, 2005, 01:22 PM
Tagged for user reviews.... :)

jthuang
March 29, 2005, 01:12 PM
Anyone get their R22s yet? I am itching to get one. :)

Bobarino
May 13, 2005, 08:23 PM
come on! come on! we're all dying here! who what when where how(much)? updates! need updates! Rhineland, you still here?

Bobby

Harry Tuttle
May 13, 2005, 09:45 PM
not mine but:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=233393

texlurch
December 15, 2006, 11:46 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would reply anyhow.

Ordered my R22 bull, and it finally arrived after a 4 week wait. It came with a standard barrel, not the bull I ordered. But not paying attention, and being excited to finally have it, I didn't even notice till later.

Installed scope off one of the AK's and went to range, using the Federal bulk I shoot out of my 10-22.

Accuracy was dismal. All over the page at 50 yds. Firing pin broke after approx. 80 rds. It did feed out of the various mags I tried, after I modified them to fit. Contacted Rhineland, and they said they would overnight me the correct barrel and a new firing pin, if I sent the standard barrel back. So I boxed up the barrel and sent if off mid Nov.

Got new bull and FP 12/11. Reassembled and back to the range, with same ammo, hoping for better results. Accuracy not improved. So I am hoping that it is either ammo or scope related, altho both work fine on other weapons, and there is no recoil to mess with the scope (armored 3x9).

So my jury is still out. Compared to my 10-22 with a bull Green Mountain, Hornet trigger, and Simmons 3x9, the R22 is pitiful in the accuracy area. Fit and finish are nice on the R22, and it is different, but so far is not anywhere close enough to use for a shooter.

I've been looking for feedback from other R22 owners; the only one I have talked with has had many FTF issues and is frustrated with his. Hopefully someone on here will chime in with more feedback.

BryanP
December 15, 2006, 11:54 AM
What I've read about them in various places from people who have actually handled them has not been positive. You're just reinforcing that.

Ah well, I have Too Many Guns now as it is. :uhoh:

texlurch
December 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
At this point, I am still holding out some hope.

The barrel is completely free floating, and has nice rifling, so it SHOULD support some better accuracy. I ran out of time to mess with it, but I want to try flexing it against the receiver, and see if there is any perceptable movement. It all seems tight, and should be a shooter.

I am hoping it is ammo.. hope I hope... :scrutiny: :banghead:

I went to their sight to see if anything is recommended, and the R22 page is down. May not be a real good sign.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Rhineland Arms R22?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!