artic cat atv

PDA

December 29, 2002, 09:34 PM
Anyone have one?If so what do you think of it?Any major repairs?

I was thinking about getting one.

If you enjoyed reading about "artic cat atv" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J. Parker
December 30, 2002, 02:46 AM
Good info at www.atvnation.com. I had a '98 300 4X4 Arctic Cat for four years. Totally reliable and served me well. Arctic cat's have been known to be underpowered but 2003 is a different story. New motor, more power, etc. Good stuff these Arctic Cat's.
Now own a Polaris 500 H.O. (high output) and it's absolutely a kick in the ass. Powerful and great suspension. Good luck, John

Mark Benningfield
December 30, 2002, 04:33 AM
Hello All.

Nope, I don't, but a buddy of mine at work does, and he's bonkers over it. He's a serious 4-wheeler, and his idea of fun is zooming through the boonies scaring the bejeezus out of the snakes and such. According to him, the Arctic Cat is the hands-down champion ATV. FWIW.

cola8d8
December 30, 2002, 12:26 PM
My brother has one, it was brand new last year. It is a 500 (I think) and he loves it. He has not problems with it and he rides the hell out it... I will get some more info on it for ya.

Cain R
January 8, 2003, 02:27 AM
Quadding buddy has an older 454, had lots of electrical problems at first but got them straightened out under warrenty.

Until this fall my buddy could ride circles around me, he on his 454 and me on my clapped out old Honda 300. But, a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin had my name on the winning raffle ticket and now :what: . What an amazing machine, I've never ridden anything as powerful or smooth, that brute turns circles inside my much smaller Honda. If you can handle the size and power get one!!:D

106rr
January 8, 2003, 05:40 AM
I took a commercial trip up the Rubicon Trail (near Lake Tahoe) and we used Arctic Cat 300 stick shift models. They were great , the IRS really eases the pain of riding broken granite all day. Power was never an issue even with the high altitude. The terrain is so rough that you can't go that fast. These things kick butt. The stick shift type is unusual but effective when you get used to it. You can even double clutch an AC with an automatic clutch!

cola8d8
January 8, 2003, 08:56 AM
I spoke too soon... My brother broke a rear axle this weekend. It broke in two right where it goes into the rear diff./gear box inside the CV boot. It is under warranty and is being fixed now.

January 8, 2003, 10:12 AM
No thanks to the polaris.I have several friends that have had nothing but trouble from them.I have test drove them several times and cant see what all the fuss is about.They turn around like a tank and handle even worse.

Bottom Gun
January 10, 2003, 10:48 AM
You might want to look at the Hondas too.
I'm real pleased with my Foreman. Plenty of power and totally reliable. I've used it to drag elk out, pull trailers and pull stuck pickups out of mud holes.
I haven't had to do anything to it except change the oil and filter.
I really like the third headlight too. It makes a huge difference at night. There's a world of difference between this and my trusty old Recon.

BIGR
January 11, 2003, 03:11 AM
I have a Suzuki myself, but I have been on some trail rides with some guys that had Artic Cats. They seemed to perform well. What I can gather it is real similar to some of the Suzuki's but cost a little less.

Jaegermeister
January 18, 2003, 05:49 PM
While ATVs are a fun form of recreation and are useful on the farm or ranch, I disagree with their use for hunting.

In northern Minnesota, where there are large tracts of state-owned forest, grouse hunters on ATVs have taken the sport out of hunting. They simply ride along with shotguns mounted in plastic scabbards until they spot a bird. The fat-asses then hop off, load, and shoot the bird. Not very sporting.

Luckily, the state has made many of the trails off limits to ATVs because the real hunters who took to the woods on foot with a well-trained dog were about ready to start laying spike strips for ATV tires. Trail manners lost out to an ATV race in many cases.

I have seen deer hunters elsewhere ride an ATV a half mile to their deer stand because walking would have been too much work. Of course, these guys looked like pregnant men with their fat guts making a bulge in their coveralls.

The money spend on an ATV would pay for a huge pile of Danner or Irish Setter boots and for a premium treadmill for the home to get in shape for the hunt.

Dragging a deer isn't all that hard, even a huge SE Minnesota buck near my hometown. We always got by with a two-wheel-drive pickup. In the winter, dragging a dear using a sled is actually easy for one person.

ATVs and hunting simply don't mix -- unless you're lazy and have lost sight of what it means to be out enjoying nature.

January 18, 2003, 07:57 PM
I agree with you in some respects.People that use atv's for running game or for driving game have no bussiness on a atv.

But in many areas a atv can be a great way of getting ito a area or hauling out big game.

If some dog hunter was to lay out some spikes for my tires,I am sad to say but the next time that hunter went afield he would have one shot dog!I wont put up with someone destroying property that I have worked hard to pay for!

If you enjoyed reading about "artic cat atv" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!