Favorite THR Quote

PDA

walking arsenal
September 12, 2004, 09:51 PM
I've noticed that a lot of people put quotes at the bottom of thier posts. SO what are some of your favorites? postem here.

I figure this is gun related because most of the quotes are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite THR Quote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cobb
September 12, 2004, 10:09 PM
Don't remeber where I saw it, but thought it was good.

Not sure what the exact quote was, but it went something like this:

"Remember,,,always keep you booger hook off of the bang switch"

Mulliga
September 12, 2004, 10:12 PM
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Gewehr98 :D

jhisaac1
September 12, 2004, 10:13 PM
From BuzzKnox on TFL: "He's still coming! Failure to stop! Mozambique his a**!!!"

This was from a TFL classic: Lines I'd like to hear in a horror movie someday...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87258

P95Carry
September 12, 2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah ... I like the ''Pooh'' one too :D

Other one tho is ...... ''Guns kill people - like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat'' ... hahaha! Forget who uses that.

There are actually loads of good quotes folks use .. almost too many to remember and so reproduce.

I also like my own - courtesy of Griz ... particularly this one ... Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars. (Griz - 1/23/04)

mustanger98
September 12, 2004, 10:30 PM
Here's two I just added to my profile here which I also use on another firearms board.

Muzzleflash
September 12, 2004, 10:32 PM
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Speaking as someone who was raised on classic Pooh stories- BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Amish_Bill
September 12, 2004, 10:51 PM
I have a file of these at work.... bookmarking till then.

Smoke
September 12, 2004, 11:04 PM
Check my sig line....

Standing Wolf
September 12, 2004, 11:09 PM
Build a man a fire, and you've warmed him for a few hours. Set a man afire, and you've warmed him for the rest of his life.

Muzzleflash
September 12, 2004, 11:10 PM
No, I can't shoot all of you, but you won't be one of the survivors either.

sm
September 12, 2004, 11:24 PM
I have admitted this before , when pax posts I read her quote before her actual posting - if there is one. Most times her quote IS the post.

There are too many good quotes to pick just one. I enjoy them, no matter the subject matter.

BozemanMT
September 12, 2004, 11:28 PM
I don't know who's it is, but my favorite is :

"If you are coming to take my guns, you better bring yours"

and then i just saw this one today and about fell out of my chair

"A good friend will come down to the jail 2 counties over in the middle of the night to post bail. Your best friend will be sitting next to you going, "Dude... that was cool."

Dionysusigma
September 12, 2004, 11:34 PM
The Oleg quote in my sig line, plus another...

"Don't try to fight an old man--he has nothing to lose, and knows all the dirty tricks."--Preacherman(?)

GigaBuist
September 12, 2004, 11:58 PM
I found out (via Google) that one of my posts on Slashdot (where I have been posing as "pi_rules" for a number of years) has been quoted a few times:

Anonymous poster: Why don't all you gun toting &$&(***** start your own country?
pi_rules (me): We did. Who let you in here?

Perhaps one of my very few shining moments in Internet history.

FYI: I have a small fascination with the number 'pi' -- or I did when I was 18 years old. I commited 100 digits of it to memory by my 18th birthday, which took a few weeks. I'm a little fuzzy now, and getting out near 75 somtimes leaves some gaps.

Moparmike
September 13, 2004, 12:00 AM
Hopefully, I will say something quoteworthy someday.

Until then, check out my link in my sig. I will have to update that page someday.

Who had "Screw double-tap, I am going for slide lock!"?

joe sixpack
September 13, 2004, 12:54 AM
I don't remember if it was a sig line quote or in someone's response,
but it had me laughing aloud several times, and whenever I think of
the circumstances I cannot help but laugh again.

It was related to a mall ninja and it went something like:
"If your plan A involves taking multiple .308 hits to the back while shielding your girlfriend as she reloads, I'd go with a plan B"

However, I am not sure as to the source of it.

cheers, ab

TXBera
September 13, 2004, 12:57 AM
"I support rehabilitation through reincarnation." -Techbrute

DWS1117
September 13, 2004, 12:58 AM
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.

Another vote for this classic.

Muzzleflash
September 13, 2004, 01:30 AM
From PDMW:

"I fought the french in the war." "Grandpa, we were allies with the french" "I know... I got in a lot of trouble for that"

joe sixpack
September 13, 2004, 02:16 AM
Classic :D

cheers, ab

Andrew Rothman
September 13, 2004, 03:25 AM
Attention Jews: "Never Again" will not be enforced by prayer, petitions or pacifism.
- Me

4570Rick
September 13, 2004, 03:34 AM
"There's only two things middle of the road; the double yellow line and a dead possum."
http://www.mindspring.com/~possums/DeadPossum.jpg
Like this?:D

Stickjockey
September 13, 2004, 04:26 AM
Taco Bell cashier: "It's people like you who are going to put machine guns on the streets."

Okiecruffler: "It's people like you who are going to put onions on my burrito, now get to it."

That's just beautiful, man!

4570Rick
September 13, 2004, 04:34 AM
As far as a favorite quote, I like the quote from jimpeel's sig line. :D

Gun Control: The premise that a woman found in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is morally superior to allowing that same woman to defend her life with a firearm.

pax
September 13, 2004, 08:15 AM
A favorite quote?? Uh-uh, no can do.

Here's a few of the ones from THR and TFL folks that I thought were save-worthy, however. I've got a few more! ;)

This is THR, not Oleg's Happy Home for the Greatly Bewildered. - Art Eatman on THR

If you're only "free" to do safe, innocuous, innoffensive, lowest common denominator things, you're not free. You're decieved. – geekwitha.45 on THR

The sad fact is that some people shouldn't have guns. Or cars. Or children. Or oxygen. – Pat Rogers on THR

Well, that must've been the signal to strike, because then they really started to move in, and some more of their buddies started to come in as well. At that point I lifted my jacket, pulled my gun, left it pointing toward the ground, and said, "if you want trouble, you've just found it." I'll never forget those words, or the reaction: everyone came to a complete stop, no moving, no talking, nothing. After a couple seconds they picked their chins off the ground, put their eyeballs back in their sockets, and they quickly backed up to the street. – bradvanhorn on THR

Yep... It's a conundrum wrapped in an enigma and smeared all over with grape jelly. No matter how you look at it, it's a confusing and sticky situation. - "Amish Bill" on the web (THR)

Bill Clinton made it illegal for me to own a 15 round magazine. George Bush made it impossible for me to get away with it. - Shootin' Buddy on THR

I see the present (heh!) conflict between the Israeli government and the rest of the Middle East as being much like a barfight between two drunks - both sides are to some degree at fault, neither side has any claim to the moral high ground, and I don't care who wins as long as they don't spill my drink. - Chris Rhines on THR

An example of dying badly is the guy we got called out on who had drowned in his toilet. After taking a whopping dose of Ipecac to induce vomiting. After taking a bunch of barbituates and drinking a fifth of bourbon. While wearing women's underwear. THAT is dying badly, and if I must die, at least let it be with some dignity, for God's sake. The last thing I want is a couple of medics and a cop or two standing over my recently deceased body and laughing their asses off. - Elizabeth Peterson, on TFL

This happens all the time in CCW states, right? I mean, I have to dodge bullets at every traffic light on my way to work, which really leaves me drained and unready for the inevitable shootout over a parking space when I get there... -- Tamara on THR

Stand behind the rest of the Bill of Rights. That is the genius of our founding fathers. The bill of rights is not a delicate creature on life support. It is a genie that has already escaped from the bottle. The founding fathers built the monstrosity of federal government knowing what it could do when inevitably hi-jacked. Therefore, they built in a kill-switch: The bill of rights. Once enacted, the armed populace can not be disarmed effectively without abrogating NUMEROUS articles of the bill of rights. This alienates more than the 2nd amendment crowd as the privacy and state's rights clauses are violated. Can anyone say "backlash"? It is already too late to disarm us. What I'm getting at is that your sword is safe behind your shield... -- Simonov, jr on TFL

I have always believed that a true gentleman provides covering fire while a lady is reloading. - Tamara on TFL

You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment. -- Buzz Knox on TFL

Putting up no-gun-zone signs in the expectation that it will stop a murderer is akin to hanging garlic in your window to ward off vampires. --Karansas on TFL

New firing pin: $12.
New extractor: $15.
Ballistic fingerprinting: worthless. - youngun on TFL

Ashcroft is better than Reno. Which doesn't say much, because a monomaniacal dyslexic bipolar chimpanzee with a nasty case of the mange would have been better than Janet Reno. - LawDog on THR

If you could bottle that kind of stupidity, it'd be a toxic waste. -- Quartus on THR

The biggest problem with a bleeding heart is that it never seems to be fatal. -- Justin on THR

It's a bad idea to bite the hand that holds your leash. - Justin on THR

Air Force enlisted men (and Navy carrier crews) have figured out that the civilized way to fight a war is to sit back, sip coffee, and throw officers at the enemy. - Tamara, on The High Road

This is my life. If you don't like it, stay out of it. - Mike Irwin

Closed for thread veer, insults, wallowing in the bar-ditch beside the Low Road, and attempted homicide of a Moderator by way of coronary aneurysm. -- LawDog

In my experience (and this is only my experience) you should always be prepared to run like a striped-butted ape the first chance you get during an altercation. -- LawDog

A non sequitur wrapped in stupid. -- Don Gwinn

Squeal draws himself up to his full, impressive height, stares down the muzzle of the 12 gauge, and pronounces: "You have just made the last mistake of your life. Nobody points a gun at me." -- a felon's last words, reported by LawDog

PD officers said when they got there, they had to work their way through a crowd of pissed-off neighbor gentlemen, all of whom were carrying some kind of firearm. When they actually got into the apartment, the girlfriend was in the middle of a great big comforting crowd of apartment complex women - and all of them were armed to the teeth, too. God, but I love Texas. -- LawDog

"I'm not going to vote for the pro-freedom candidate because not enough people will vote for him, so he won't win." Circular logic: see "Logic, circular". -- Tamara on THR

It is not reasonable to attack someone and then presume to set parameters for the measure of their response. – Pendragon on THR

I see the present (heh!) conflict between the Israeli government and the rest of the Middle East as being much like a barfight between two drunks - both sides are to some degree at fault, neither side has any claim to the moral high ground, and I don't care who wins as long as they don't spill my drink. – Chris Rhines on THR

I refuse to give up my civil liberties because you don't want to accept your personal responsibilities. – Keith on THR

Two-bit, four-flushing, scum-sucking, twinkle-toed, dirty, rotten, foul-mouthed, dirt-stupid, mono-synaptic, inbred dacoits with delusions of adequacy. – LawDog on THR

Regarding the two main candidates, I'm undecided - it's a race to the bottom, and it's been four years since we saw a pair this pathetic. "Which do I prefer - the Captain, or Tenille?" -- pauli on THR

pax

I quote others only in order the better to express myself. -- Michel De Montaigne

CZSteve
September 13, 2004, 08:29 AM
A LawDog 'sig' from TFL.

"Where am I going, and why am I in a handbasket?"

TonyB
September 13, 2004, 08:44 AM
One of my favs..."you can't argue with a 357....well,you can but you end up bleeding alot"(or something like that).....

effengee
September 13, 2004, 08:56 AM
Some of my newest favorites...

As long as the world holds men whose arms are stronger than their wits or will, just so long will subtle men find simple ones to risk and die for them.
"Divided Allegiance" by Elizabeth Moon

If it's our time to die, it's our time. All I ask is if we have to give these bastards our lives, we give them hell before we do.
The Matrix Revolutions

"It's an .88 magnum. Shoots through schools."
John Candy

Not positive this is verbatim, I haven't watched it for awhile...
"You're probably wondering: Did I fire five times, or did I fire six? You know, in all this excitement I can't really remember, but seeing as to how this is the .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and can take your head clean off, you should be asking yourself a question: Do you feel lucky. Well? do you, Punk."
San Francisco's most famous detective

"Yea though I hump through the valleys of the Republic of Vietnam, I shall fear no indigenous personell, for I have the power to call in an airstrike"
On the helmet of a friend

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. 1500 years ago, everybody knew the earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everbody knew the earth was flat, and 15 minutes ago you knew people were alone on this planet. Imagine what we'll know tomorrow"
MIB

Peace through superior firepower

Got guns?

$350 for a handgun on debit card
$25 for a concealed holster on debit card
$10 for pistol ammo on debit card
One mugger dead for trying to take debit card:
Priceless

jim

Girlwithagun
September 13, 2004, 10:01 AM
After the last legislative session here in Maryland, this one from bigjoegood1 always makes me laugh:

Me (whispering): I see antis.
Dr: In your dreams? While you're awake? Antis, like, Sarah Brady, Leah Barrett? In business suits, in Annapolis?
Me: Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they wanna see. They don't know they're antis.
Dr: How often do you see them?
Me: All the time. They're everywhere. You won't tell anyone my secret, right?
Dr: No. I promise.

:D

Sawdust
September 13, 2004, 10:15 AM
Pax' list is great...some of them absolutely had me in stitches and tears.

However, the *best* is:

"I refuse to give up my civil liberties because you don't want to accept your personal responsibilities. – Keith on THR"

In my view...short...sweet...and extremely profound.

Sawdust

meathammer
September 13, 2004, 11:50 AM
I forgot who said it during one of the infamous and heated 9mm vs. .45 debates.

"I heard you actually feel better after being shot with a .45."

I had coffee coming out of my nose after reading that one. :D

--meathammer

Amish_Bill
September 13, 2004, 01:01 PM
I made PAX's list? Oh Yippee! I suddenly feel all warm I squishy inside!

Lets see... other lines.....

You know how dumb the average guy is? Well, by definition, half of them are even dumber than that. -- J.R. 'Bob' Dobbs

Pretend to spank me -- I'm a pseudo-masochist!

Don't try to outweird me - I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

"Men are like steel, when they lose their temper, they lose their worth."
- Chuck Norris

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."
- Julius Caesar

"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
-- Marion Barry, Mayor of Washington, D.C.

The answer to any question starting, "Why don't they-" is almost always, "Money." -- Robert Heinlein

In the immortal words of Dogbert, I dream of a world in which I can buy alcohol, tobacco, and firearms at the same drive-in window, and use them all before I get home from work.

I'm a soldier, not a diplomat. I can only tell the truth.
-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3198.9

A little experience often upsets a lot of theory.

There's a lot to be said for not saying a lot.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Contrary to what most civilians think, performing a field tracheotomy in an elevator is very different from performing one on the battlefield, especially if the subject is conscious, unwilling and not currently experiencing breathing problems.

Attempting to solve social and moral problems with legislation is like putting deodorant on when you really need a shower. - Angel Shamaya

"Only when you wake up, can you look around and see how many people are still asleep."

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.
- - Pericles (430 B.C.)

Fear of Death will not prevent dying -- but it may prevent Living.
-- Anon

Government cannot create peace; it can only impose its
will by force, which is the very antithesis of peace.

It's like evolution, only without the getting better part

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war. Ernest Hemmingway

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a
man's character, give him power."-Abraham Lincoln

"The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people." -- William Jefferson Clinton

Guns sitting in your gun safe don't make you free anymore than books sitting on your coffee table make you literate. -- three grams

"No law ever written has stopped any robber, rapist or killer, like cold blue steel in the hands of their last intended victim."
~ W. Emerson Wright ~

Gun Control - Protecting Hard Working Criminals from Work-related Injuries

A society of sheep must, in time, beget a government of wolves.
--Bertrand de Juvenal.

Love is . . . interlocking fields of fire.

woolfam
September 13, 2004, 01:47 PM
I, unfortunately, did not record who wrote it, but this was written about "the price of admission" to this forum:

I consider the "price of admission" here to be having to wade through all of the 9mm-.40/10mm-.45-slow/heavy vs light/fast-photos of your pocket lint filled hollowpoints-do you think a .50calAR-15 or a .17calAK-47is best for alien mutant zombie wolfbears when the SHTF and TEOTWAWKI-I only use FMJ so I can hit the spinal column from 50 feet while running backwards during an adrenaline dump-all politicians suck-plastic is better than metal because it's new/metal is better than plastic just because it is-all cops are angelic heros/spawn of satan-why the 1911 is the most dependable piece of crap every invented and everyone should own either 20 or none-all gun shop employees are imbeciles-RBCD/MagSafe/Glaser ammo is the greatest too bad it doesn't work-it's spelled Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious you dimwit-I was there when they shot the goats but FotoMat lost my film-auto vs revolver, threads.

Brian Williams
September 13, 2004, 02:19 PM
The Sheriff dusted off his hands, fixed me with a gimlet eye, and huffed: "What did I tell you about working smarter; not harder?"

*sigh*

LawDog

From here The LawDog Files (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147690)

Denko
September 13, 2004, 03:02 PM
This thread has inspired me to finally add one of my favorite quotes.From "The Good,The Bad,And The Ugly"."When You Have To Shoot,Shoot,Don't Talk." Tuco.If you of you already has it please let me know.

garrettwc
September 13, 2004, 11:27 PM
A 9MM might expand, but a .45 won't shrink.

(donning my fireproof jammies) :p

twoblink
September 13, 2004, 11:57 PM
"Forget it, if you're liking Glocks, God has abandoned you. Sinner."

There's just so much truth in that...

Ric
September 14, 2004, 08:42 AM
A cat will blink when hit with a hammer :D

I still laugh over that one

freedomlover
September 14, 2004, 10:52 AM
I don't know who used this one first, but it's truly great:

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM *PING*!!

Dave R
September 14, 2004, 12:14 PM
One favorite stands out for me. I don't remember who said it, originally. But I have used it several times in discussions with antis.

"Making the sheep more sheep-like does not deter the wolves."

Jeff Cooper has a similar quote. I'll probably mangle it, but.

"The unarmed man can only flee from evil. And evil is never overcome by fleeing from it."

atek3
September 14, 2004, 12:32 PM
Taco Bell cashier: "It's people like you who are going to put machine guns on the streets."

Okiecruffler: "It's people like you who are going to put onions on my burrito, now get to it."

personally i think that should be amended to:

Okiecruffler: "It's people like you who are going to put saliva on my burrito, now get to it."

NB: don't insult the loser making 6 dollars an hour who prepares your fast food, unless you're going to feed it to an animal.

ps hey giga can i steal your quote...its a good one.

Okiecruffler
September 14, 2004, 03:56 PM
I think that should be our mantra.

And for everyone worried about what I may or may not have eaten at Taco Bell. The young lady in question was the cashier, whose only contact with said burrito was handing it to me after it had been made and wrapped up. I guess a more correct and accurate thing to have said would have been, "It's people like who who take my money for my burrito.". But that's not funny and wouldn't have gotten quite the same look. And anyway, after being in my line of work for awhile the idea of someone spitting on my food isn't as disgusting as it used to be.

Lonestar.45
September 14, 2004, 11:38 PM
"Didn't you think there was something wrong when you were getting checks for doing nothing?"
"I thought it was because the Democrats were back in power."
-The Simpsons

Citadel99
September 15, 2004, 08:01 AM
"Can you run 850 feet per second? Didn't think so."

So if you're not as accurate, go with 9mm. Not the same stopping power, but shootin' a fella with one will definitely change his priorities.

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, bet he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty."
Clint Smith – Thunder Ranch

"Remember - stupid people don't know they're stupid."

“The last thing I want to do is hurt you…but it’s still on the list.”

"Unless you know a guy well enough that he will willingly share his wife with you then don't shoot his reloads. Hell, even if you do know him well enough to share his wife don't shoot his reloads (and if by chance you have shared his wife most definitely don't shoot his reloads)."

A few I like...

Mark

P95Carry
September 15, 2004, 10:49 AM
Can I include a ''puke'' quote?? Not a THR one per se ...

"For target shooting, that's okay. Get a license and go to the range. For defense of the home, that's why we have police departments."

-James Brady

:barf: :barf: :barf: :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And just another few that amuse .....

"Consciousness- that annoying time between naps"

Suburbia - where they cut down trees and name streets after them

Mental Floss prevents Moral Decay

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Mixlesplick
September 15, 2004, 02:05 PM
"...If it took daring and even ruthlessness, we had it--we not only built the atomic bomb, we used it! We're not some crowd of pious, sniveling, red-green Europeans trying to make the world safe for boutiques! We're not some swarm of Confucian social engineers who would love to watch the masses chop cotton for the next two millennia! We are a naton of hands-on cosmic mechanics!"

Bruce Sterling, author of "Distraction"

mustanger98
September 15, 2004, 02:42 PM
I just saw another one- from SunBear:

"I'm not scared of the dark; I am the boogeyman."

dustind
September 15, 2004, 09:10 PM
My signature. I got it from Joel Rosemburg's web journal.

Think strategically, act tactically. - Skunkabilly

effengee
September 16, 2004, 12:28 AM
"Excuse me, is that an Uzi?"
And
"The French designed those guns for desert warfare. Have you ever tried them in the rain?"
Air America

"Have you ever used one of these before? Well, you just point it at the bad guy and squeeze the trigger."
Steven Segal???

"Mr. Smith, Mr. Wesson, and me."
Clint Eastwood

Not sure it's word for word but a true grit favorite...
"Well, now little lady, that's a mighty fine gun you got there. Providing you've got a fencepost to lean it against."
John Wayne

"Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid"
Han Solo as only Harrison Ford can...

But my favorite gun quotes are from Stanley Kubrick's FMJ:

"I don't want no teenage queen, I just want my M-14."

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will.
Before God I swear this creed:
My rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Until there is no enemy, but, peace. Amen"

"Your rifle, is just a tool. It is a hard heart that kills."

Kodiak AK
September 16, 2004, 06:52 AM
"It's an .88 magnum. Shoots through schools."
John Candy

UHM No . Try
Joe Piscopo as Danny Vermin in Johnny Dangerously.

Strings
September 16, 2004, 09:21 AM
[sleezy mob voice]

"You shouldn't correct me, Kodiak. My moderator corrected me once... ONCE!"

[\sleezy mob voice]

Sorry... I know I wasn't the one being corrected, by I HAD to do the paraphrase...:evil:

HiWayMan
September 16, 2004, 10:03 AM
Got a new favorite that I just stole from Moparmike's web page.

"Yea, though I walk through the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf***er in the valley...

juggler
September 16, 2004, 10:30 AM
"If you're being mugged by a couple of clowns, don't hesitate; go for the juggler." :scrutiny:

I resemble that insinuation

I also like the Pooh one, great visual.

Gatofeo
September 16, 2004, 10:43 AM
Got a few of my own:

"Peace at any cost brings war at the highest cost." --- Gatofeo

"It's always the obvious that escapes you." --- Gatofeo

My late father, as he pointed out a big worm contracting, after we had dug it up: "Look at that. Like a peter on a cold day." (Nothing to do with guns, and not philosophical, but still makes me laugh). --- Gatofeo

My late father, after watching me smear Crisco over the lead balls in my .44-caliber cap and ball revolver: "Man, I'd hate to get hit in the ass with a deep-fried lead ball." --- Gatofeo

"If you wish to reduce gun crime among children, teach them basic marksmanship in the schools. Nothing is so inviting as Forbidden Fruit. Remove the mystery and the mystique of the guns they see on TV and in movies. As it is, they learn nothing but bad or dangerous practices from TV and movies." --- Gatofeo

"Some ricochets scream. Some buzz. And some whine like a Californian in an Idaho snowstorm." --- Gatofeo (from the guns and reloading column he used to write for an Idaho newspaper).

"When the barbarians are at the gates, they won't suddenly stop and move on because you had a Greenpeace or Million Mom March sticker on your window." --- Gatofeo

"This country was created by a revolution. By the common folks crying, 'Enough is enough! We're not going to be abused any longer!' When political methods failed, they took up the gun. The success of the American Revolution inspired other European governments to grant their people more power --- out of fear of a similar armed rebellion. Seeing our success, the French deposed a monarchy that had been in power for centuries. The British Parliament gained even more power, at the expense of the king. And now, you not only want me to forget how America's armed rebellion inspired the world, but to give up the very instrument by which it was accomplished? Are you mad?" --- Gatofeo, in response to an anti-gunner.

"Any man who would abuse an animal, would abuse a small child. Any man who would abuse a small child, would abuse a woman. Any man who would abuse a woman should be dragged out of his house by a mob and have his ass whipped with a belt, in front his neighbors, children and God. Violence doesn't beget violence, it often ends it. Now." --- Gatofeo

"Nothing wrong with shooting people, as long as the right people get shot," Dirty Harry character, as played by Clint Eastwood.

"A sucking chest wound is nature's way of telling you to slow down." --- On the helmet of a U.S. soldier in Vietnam.

"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44." --- Gatofeo (this applies to all of life's endeavors, not just shooting).

"In Brussels, Belgium I met a police officer who welcomed me into his home. From behind his couch he produced a loaded Colt .45 Automatic, a vestige of World War II. He proudly proclaimed, 'This one, my government does not know I have. And they will not!' I sat there, marveling at a man breaking the very law he was sworn to uphold. God bless him, for he had a brain and was not a mindless robot." --- Gatofeo

"You feel that? Just as I shot, the Earth gave a momentary shudder in its rotation!" --- Gatofeo, explaining why he missed the target.

"When I shoot, everything from snakes to helicopters is in peril." --- Gatofeo, in a bit of self effacing humor

mhdishere
September 16, 2004, 11:24 AM
A couple of my favorites:

God made all men equal, Sam Colt made them all the same size.

When you need to shoot, shoot, don't talk (Tuco in the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)

"Who's the slimey Communist (bleep) twinkle-toed (bleep) (bleep) who just signed his own death warrant?" GSgt Hartmann in Full Metal Jacket.

There are few problems which can't be solved with liberal application of napalm.

From Jeff Cooper: There ain't many problems that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty-ought-six.

Life is pain, Princess, anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something (Wesley from the Princess Bride)

and of course the one in my sig:

Fudgie Ghost
September 16, 2004, 02:42 PM
"You're an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a debt. . ."

Col. Kurtz in "Apocolypse Now".

Played this out of my computer speakers over the office using the "page all" on our phone system years ago after our company was bought by. . . well, . . . basically grocery clerks with MBA's.

Good times, fun.

Graystar
September 16, 2004, 03:10 PM
I think John Candy said:

"It's a fifty caliber. They used to hunt buffalo with it. It's only legal in two states, and this ain't one of them."

From the movie Armed And Dangerous.
I have seen the last sentence of one of my favorite quotes here on THR somewhere, but I like the full quote better:
"War is a bad thing: but to submit to the dictation of other states is worse. Freedom, if we hold fast to it, will ultimately restore all our losses, but submission will mean permanent loss of all that we value. To you who call yourselves men of peace, I say: You are not safe unless you have men of action at your side!"

- Thucydides, 471-399 BC

griz
September 16, 2004, 03:20 PM
I don't remember who posted them, but these were posted by THR folks:

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them,; and these will continue till they have resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Frederick Douglas

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do children of humans as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller

This one is paraphrazed from Jeff Cooper, I can't find the exact text:

Land for peace is a misconception. You can always have peace, an absence of violence, by surrendering to the aggressor. What you really want is victory.

Glamdring
September 16, 2004, 05:12 PM
One of my favs from TFL IIRC had the Dwarves going to rescue Snow White with MP5's :D

IF someone has that whole quote I would like to see it again.

Moparmike
September 16, 2004, 06:48 PM
HighWayMan, that quote is attributed to OEF_VET.

And should read "...through the valley of the shadow of Death..."

19112XS
September 16, 2004, 10:41 PM
A couple more:

You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.
Al Capone
US gangster (1899 - 1947) from Quotationspage.com

Crooked Sherrif to Clint Eastwood-"You just shot an unarmed man."
Clint Eastwood-"He should'a armed himself after he decorated his bar with my (dead) friend."

AZLibertarian
September 16, 2004, 11:09 PM
More of a bumper sticker than a sig. line, but I've always gotten a kick out of....Of course I can't come into work today. The Voices in my head keep repeating:
'Stay Home. Clean the Guns.'I'm also partial to the Pooh quote. I may have to lift it for other forums.

igor
September 17, 2004, 07:43 PM
I'm very partial to Preacherman's "Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional". Any background, P.?

pluvo
September 18, 2004, 09:00 PM
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

BTW, Christopher Robin was know to almost alway carry a gun.

Gewehr98
September 18, 2004, 11:44 PM
As done by THR's own Kaylee, some time ago:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=837003

And I still have it blown up and framed on my desk at the squadron!

Caesar
April 21, 2005, 12:55 AM
Here's Mine

crazyXgerman
April 21, 2005, 01:41 AM
n/m

/me checks reading comprehension...

Dorian
April 21, 2005, 07:58 AM
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Ben Franklin

And my new sig line:

Ric
April 21, 2005, 08:13 AM
I laugh a lot reading this thread. :D

But I liked this one, I don't know who said it.

A cat will blink if struck with a hammer.

svtruth
April 21, 2005, 08:36 AM
Somebody has one to the effect "Be nice to everyone, they all have private battles you know nothing about"

Gunnutz13
April 21, 2005, 09:28 AM
Pax Pro Eo Optimus Arma " Peace through superior firepower "

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum " To see peace, prepare for war "

or

Qui Desiderat Pacem, Praeparet Bellum " Who so desires peace, prepare for war "

You can run...but you'll just die tired

You talkin to me...?!

mmmm....beer

...and of course, my sig line quote from GSP....(below) :evil:

tuna
April 21, 2005, 10:51 AM
"Those who beat their swords into plows will plow for those who don't"

"If you can read this thank a teacher, if you read it in English, thank a vet"

iapetus
April 21, 2005, 10:56 AM
Not a THR quote, but one I saw once years ago in an "Assault rifles of the world"-type book, which went something like:

"Forget about all your A-bombs, supersonic jets, and smart missiles. At the end of the day, you still need some bastard with a rifle to winkle out the other bastard and make him sign a peace treaty."

Anyone know who said that originally, or what the exact words were?

Darkmind
April 21, 2005, 11:08 AM
The two that I love the most.

I do not wine or cry for those who fail to think before they act.- Me

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

And the Pooh one is right at the top of my fav list too.

Legionnaire
April 21, 2005, 02:46 PM
The Pooh sig is my favorite. Lot's of good ones, though.

A favorite quote (though I don't know if I've seen it here on THR) is:

"A gentleman never insults anyone unintentionally." - Oscar Wilde

DSRUPTV
April 21, 2005, 03:21 PM
A friend will help you move, but a real friend will help you move a body.

Warren
April 21, 2005, 03:37 PM
In my experience (and this is only my experience) you should always be prepared to run like a striped-butted ape the first chance you get during an altercation. -- LawDog

"Run like a striped-butted ape" needs to have it's own acronym like SHTF or TEOTWAWKI.

1st poster: "What should I do if the SHTF in this situation?

2nd poster: Well, your first option should be to RLASBA but if that won't work you should......

Indy7373
April 21, 2005, 04:58 PM
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected."

Not sure where I saw that, but it rang true. One of my favorites is

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

enfield303
April 21, 2005, 05:14 PM
"I came, I saw, I went back for more ammo." Travis J. Enfield, AKA Enfield303

"I'm your Huckleberry. That's just my game." Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone

Zach S
April 21, 2005, 06:52 PM
I have no idea where I found it, but I have it in my sig at the corral:

I am not anti-mother and I don't want to ban motherhood, but I do support reasonable mom-control laws like background checks, licensing & registration, waiting periods and a limit on the number of children one mother can raise. After all, isn't it worth it if it saves just one child?

P5 Guy
April 21, 2005, 07:15 PM
"Golf courses are a waste of a perfectly good rifle range" from a poster on the old BR.com.

Hawk
April 21, 2005, 07:22 PM
..don't forget that SIGs rust, 1911's jam, USP's break firing pins, Delta Elites crack their frames, and Berettas break their locking blocks right before putting the back half of the slide through your bridgework. The faster most folks realize that all guns suck, the happier they'll be.
- Tamara

Pward
April 21, 2005, 09:29 PM
:)

english kanigit
April 22, 2005, 12:53 AM
"If it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap but my life is priceless."

"In the great pinball game of life, his flippers are a little too far apart." :D

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

"In ten years, no body will remember the brand of bullets in x-caliber, technique used, the brand of gun, what ultra-ninja, super-kewl gadget they had tied to their piece, what high-speed, low-drag schools were attended by or the distance between those in question. They will, however, remembered who lived..."
My very loose paraphrasing. :o

My favorite t-shirt that has a two man team w/ barrett M82 in the grass. Caption reads: "671 grains of diplomacy" :evil:

My Columbia River knife and matching t-shirt with the 1* (http://www.crkt.com/oneastrs.html) graphic. Funny, yes, but definately food for thought.

Can't remember who said but,
"Wars aren't won by dying for your country. Wars are won by making the other poor bastard die for his."

More as iI remember them... :rolleyes:

Legionnaire
April 22, 2005, 08:26 AM
"A pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left in the first place."

"A pistol is what you carry when you are not expecting trouble."

MLH
April 22, 2005, 12:39 PM
See below.

Browns Fan
April 22, 2005, 01:02 PM
Quote:
"Golf courses are a waste of a perfectly good rifle range" from a poster on the old BR.com.

I love that one! :D

Legionnaire
April 22, 2005, 01:38 PM
Methinks the original quote (drug up from Cooper's Commentaries) was:

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Bill O'Connor

Excellent quote: one I use when invited to play golf ... with the additional line, "You get your birdies your way, and I'll get 'em in mine."

No_Brakes23
April 22, 2005, 01:42 PM
Just saw this one by WayneConrad:

"Open carry is about not going to the back of the bus. It's about not steaming the curls out of your hair. It's about not going through the star-on machine. You do it because it's right, not because it's safe, and people doing the right thing can make a difference"

Yeah, I like that.

firesafety3
April 22, 2005, 01:46 PM
I think some of these folks picture this scenario:

Long line of customers waiting their turn to step up to the counter at the gun shop. Customer #7 turns back to customer #8,

#7: "Hey man, what's going on?"

#8: "Nothing much, I was just in the car trying to catch the end of Rush and noticed the line was getting pretty long. Thought I better get in here."

#7: "Know what you mean. I had to get up in the middle of a "Dukes of Hazzard" rerun last night to go bomb a church. Wednesday night, you know. Hey, you gettin' a gun?"

#8: "Awww yeah. I'm a sexual deviant and I gotta get ready for tomorrow night. Big Friday planned. What you gettin'?"

#7: " Shotgun, brother! Dang foreigner over at the Scratch-A-Sak didn't give me a receipt with my Icee. I had enough. You wanna come?"

#8: "Hell yea! Pass by the house first, I got some kittens on the grill. Hey man, you're next! Don't forget, don't abbreviate nuthin' on the yellow paperwork".

Sometimes I wonder what folks figure is happening.

Ok, it's mine but I got a kick out of typing it!

dakotasin
April 22, 2005, 02:26 PM
:D

Brad Johnson
April 23, 2005, 05:14 PM
The two loudest noises in the world are "BANG!" when it should have been "click", and "click" when it should have been "BANG!"

If you carry a gun it cannot be small enough or light enough. If you are forced to use it, it cannot be big enough or powerful enough.

Guns don't kill. Physics does.

Brad

english kanigit
April 23, 2005, 06:46 PM
I almost forget the movie collateral.

The cab is parked back in the alley and Jamie's eating his sandwich when 180 pounds of "dead" meat fly out of a window and land on his cab.

Jamie Fox to Tom Cruise:"You killed him!?"

Tom Cruise:"No, I just shot him. The bullets and the fall killed him..."

thorn726
April 24, 2005, 07:42 AM
"there is nothing that can't be made worse with a dremel"

i love it , especially since i just got one recently.

as far as the political messages=

man i couldnt even try to list a favorite. vast majority have really cool ones.
i know mine annoys people. oh well

gunsmith
April 24, 2005, 08:20 AM
ok?

mike1966ga
April 24, 2005, 09:00 AM
one of mine that I use often is
"just because you put frosting on a dog turd, don't make it a wedding cake"

svtruth
April 24, 2005, 09:52 AM
Molon Labe

Butch
April 24, 2005, 10:47 AM
;)

crewsr
April 24, 2005, 06:25 PM
heres mine

crewsr
April 24, 2005, 06:27 PM
"But to ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow. ... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."
Jeff Snyder

Cowgunner
April 24, 2005, 07:32 PM
I love this one "Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off."

Double Maduro
April 24, 2005, 08:13 PM
Always been fond of the 3 S's myself.

Shoot

Shovel

Shutup

DM

Chuck Dye
April 24, 2005, 11:55 PM
I can’t provide attribution but I have always liked the Ladder of Escalation: Avoid it; Evade it; Escape it; OVERWHELM it.

pete f
April 25, 2005, 03:31 AM
on another site,

"Young man, be nice to my daughter, cuz I own a backhoe and I know how to use it"

.40-.45
May 31, 2005, 11:59 PM
very simple
"it is what it is"

W Turner
June 1, 2005, 10:52 AM
So why would anybody with anything between his ears but solid bone
want to hunt jaguars on foot, armed only with the zagaya, the
Indian spear? There are as many answers to that one as there are
reasons men hunt, fight, skydive, gamble or take up with redheaded
ladies -- Peter Hathaway Capstick

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ~~ H. L. Mencken

Nothing is idiot-proof; idiots are too ingenious.

Why is it that the only thing stupid people do well is breed?

Just a few of my favorites in addition to my sig line...

W

Zach S
June 1, 2005, 12:53 PM
I have no idea who originaly said "Glocks are ugly and have no soul," but its one of my favorites.

I'm tempted to have a bumper sticker made...

648E
August 30, 2007, 04:34 AM
"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that didn't." - iqpoobah

"It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in". - Real Name

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
If you break in
I'm shooting you.
Burma Shave.

If you're doing something you know is illegal, fair or not, infringement on liberty or not, it is up to you to avoid being caught. This requires that you not do stupid stuff.

"AK's are crude clubs that happen to fire bullets and only an illiterate third world farmboy would call it a rifle. You can't hit a manhole cover at 100yards with one."

"Just about any .308 load will blow a big enough hole through a person to toss a cat through, so dont even go there about 5.56MM ballistics"

Warren
August 30, 2007, 04:51 AM
"Thread necromancers will be given wedgies via e-mail"--some mod

walking arsenal
August 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
Ha, haha, haaaaaaahahahahahaha

Justin
August 30, 2007, 12:52 PM
"Thread necromancers will be given wedgies via e-mail"--some mod

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Favorite THR Quote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!