Why are we arming ourselves?

PDA

Roadkill
September 12, 2004, 11:11 PM
Never before in my 35 years of shooting have I had as many guns and the amount of ammo as I do now. I won't even go into it, but I just wonder why I'm building up guns and ammo. I am no survivalist or SHTFer, and I live in a very secure part of the country. I think my actions are way beyond any situation in the realm of home defense. This is serious real deal heavy duty stuff. What's up?

rk

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are we arming ourselves?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ukraine Train
September 12, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think you should post some pictures of the stash lol. A lot of people are afraid of losing their rights, more now than ever before. So, maybe it's kind of a preemptive act.

buy guns
September 12, 2004, 11:17 PM
why do women have so many shoes?

Mulliga
September 12, 2004, 11:19 PM
Remember, an anti-gunner in the Oval Office could ban importation of foreign ammo (i.e. Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, etc.). Better stock up now...

An anti-gun Congress could ban ARs and AKs with a Kali-style law. Better stock up now...

Lawsuits and hostile local government could limit the supply of ammo (If they pressure Wally World to stop selling ammo, for example). Better stock up now...

:eek:

Old Dog
September 12, 2004, 11:25 PM
For those of us who've been treading the face of this planet for a few years, been around the block a time or two ... perhaps it's this general sense of unease we've developed while watching our society and our culture deteriorate while things just keep getting worse and worse in other lands across the big ponds as well ... Stepping off the soapbox now.

Maybe we're instinctively feeling that we will need what we're stockpiling ... is it rational? Perhaps not ... but isn't it interesting how animals can sense the changes in weather, before changes occur?

Edward429451
September 12, 2004, 11:29 PM
A most reasonable and excellant question.

I think the succinct answer lies in a quote from one of my all time favorite authors, Robert Heinlein:

Whether we make it or not, the human race has got to keep up its well earned reputation for ferocity. The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, anytime, and with utter recklessness. If we did not learn that from the slugs, well--"Dinosaurs. move over! We are ready to become extinct!"

(Puppet Masters)

Extrapolate. :scrutiny:

harpethriver
September 12, 2004, 11:40 PM
I agree with Buy Guns. What are you, The Imelda Marcos of the gun world?:neener: Post pics-let's see that stash you're braggin' about!:D By the way, the answer as to why is simple:because we can, and because we should. Besides, if we don't buy those guns, somebody else will-can't risk letting someone else beat you to them!:evil:

Justin
September 12, 2004, 11:42 PM
Because guns are cool.

Duh.

:D

Dbl0Kevin
September 12, 2004, 11:50 PM
I have to say I keep buying more stuff just in case at some point in the future I'm unable to buy it. The biggest question I ask myself before I make a new gun purchase is "what do I want that I might not have the opportunity to get in a few years?"

dave3006
September 13, 2004, 12:03 AM
I will try to give a serious answer. Even though the economy is not great right now, most of us have seen our incomes go up a factor of 2x-3x in the last 10 years. I used to earn $40K when my son was born. Now, I earn in excess of $120K. Gun prices have stayed relatively the same for many guns. Some have went up a bit.

I think many of us have had extra money looking for somewhere to go. Some people buy stocks, real estate, ect.. We buy guns that we never used to be able to afford. We keep buying more because of the threat that we will not be able to buy more due to bad laws. Many of us are bored in our jobs and acquiring a new gun is a release. This is much better than banging the blond secretary down the hall and wrecking your family.

In the end, it will be smart. Tangible things like guns will be the only thing of value when our economy and currency implode due to the astronomical debt that will soon overtake us.

Standing Wolf
September 13, 2004, 12:12 AM
If I don't buy some more guns, I might run out. If I don't load some more ammunition, I might run short.

I'm the same way with food, clothes, books, hard drives, et cetera.

2nd Amendment
September 13, 2004, 12:16 AM
I'm not really a SHTF'er either. I like the discussions and I can see a number of ways things could come from together but I don't "dwell" on it. OTOH I have had a feeling something is headed our way for quite a while. Don't know what and, again, I am not going to dwell on it but stockpiling items I enjoy anyway and which aren't likely to lose value certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 13, 2004, 12:49 AM
I make more money now than before. I want more and better things. Firearms are only a small part of my acquisitions from my income.

Besides, I consider it my duty as an American to spur the U.S. economy!

Regards,
Rabbit.

nhhillbilly
September 13, 2004, 01:30 AM
I never had a great urge to own an AR15 rifle. My FN-FAL was just fine. Once the pasted the "Assautl Weapon Ban" I became worried that was just the first step. I now have a couple of AR15's and find I enjoy them a lot. Same for anything else they want to ban.

Derby FALs
September 13, 2004, 01:37 AM
I was into bolt guns before the AWB. In fact I never owned a SA battle rifle until a few years ago. Never paid much attention to the ban. Let my FFL go like Clinton wanted. Now I have a safe full of the darn things. Not sure where they even came from. :)

Moparmike
September 13, 2004, 01:54 AM
I was into bolt guns before the AWB. In fact I never owned a SA battle rifle until a few years ago. Never paid much attention to the ban. Let my FFL go like Clinton wanted. Now I have a safe full of the darn things. Not sure where they even came from.

*to the tune of "Blame Canada" from south park*

Blame William, Blame William...

joe sixpack
September 13, 2004, 02:11 AM
Never before in my 35 years of shooting have I had as many guns and the amount of ammo as I do now. I won't even go into it, but I just wonder why I'm building up guns and ammo. I am no survivalist or SHTFer, and I live in a very secure part of the country. I think my actions are way beyond any situation in the realm of home defense. This is serious real deal heavy duty stuff. What's up?

Life isn't always about what makes the most sense.

cheers, ab

P-35/53
September 13, 2004, 02:30 AM
I have more than 1 fire estinquisher in my home , I have about 6 weeks of food in my house , I keep extra money in the bank as padding for not bouncing a check. All these things are saftey precautions as is tha fact of some of my guns and ammo purchases.

Dr.Who
September 13, 2004, 02:37 AM
Why are we arming ourselves?

Because we can!!!

joey93turbo
September 13, 2004, 02:55 AM
Tell you the truth, the reason I own 22 guns doesn't have anything to do with 'maybe someday I won't be able to buy them'. I have guns for three reasons.

1) I enjoy the sport of shooting.
2) To protect myself and my family.
3) I use guns as a means for investing money. Rarely do they appreciate but often when I find good deals I know I'll be able to get my money out of them if I ever need to. Having cash in the bank is too tempting for me to spend it. Selling a gun to finance something else, on the other hand, well I've never done that :D

The_Antibubba
September 13, 2004, 03:02 AM
Every time I buy a firearm, it means one less gun in the hands of a criminal.

The more ammo I buy, the less lead available to poison the environment.

Yup, I'm a do-gooder, no doubt about it-and I'm happy to do my part!

Andrew Rothman
September 13, 2004, 04:44 AM
I dunno. Just can't seem to stop myself. :D

Black Majik
September 13, 2004, 05:19 AM
I did after I started reading this damn forum!

Stickjockey
September 13, 2004, 05:21 AM
I look at it as the "hobby supply acquisition effect". Do you know anyopne who builds scale models? Take a look at their "stash" some time. There's guys out there with more unbuilt kits than finished models. It happens with any hobby; the longer you're in it, the more stuff you acquire.

pharmer
September 13, 2004, 09:16 AM
Two years ago Bass Pro Shop in orlando had Winchester white box for 3.88/ box 50. At 41.12 per case of 500 I bought 13,500 rounds. Seemed like a lot at the time but I have less than 9k left. Joe

Tamara
September 13, 2004, 09:43 AM
I won't even go into it, but I just wonder why I'm building up guns and ammo. I am no survivalist or SHTFer, and I live in a very secure part of the country.

Stamp collectors probably aren't going to mail that many letters, either. :D

BigG
September 13, 2004, 10:16 AM
I want to start my own platoon someday. ;)

fastball
September 13, 2004, 10:35 AM
I know for sure that I could NEVER top this:--Credit Member Buy Guns

"Why do women have so many shoes?" Thanks, Buy Guns !!----

:D By the way---what does SHTFer stand for???:confused:

yy
September 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
Because a gentleman is always armed.

fastball: ????? Hits The Fan scenario preparers. Sort of like your survivalists but with an emphasis on big government gone bad.

Look up the online fiction thread and regular threads in the strategies and tactics section.

Good shooting

fastball
September 13, 2004, 11:57 AM
Appreciate the educational reply, and now I not only fully understand the meaning of the term, but have experienced it a few times. ---thanks--Tom:

MyRoad
September 13, 2004, 12:50 PM
That's why I can never seem to bring myself to sell any gun, no matter how infrequently I might actually use it. I own some guns that I doubt I'll ever fire again, but every time I think about selling one, I get that little voice that says 'you never know when you or someone you love might need this gun'. I don't have to dwell on it, or imagine SHTF scenarios, I just quietly put the gun back in the safe, because that's where it belongs.

If you think you are buying too many guns and/or too much ammo, and you have enough of both to survive any imaginable situation, then stop watching the News for a month. You'll calm down after that. The News sells fear, the more scared you are, the more you tune in to find out what's going to happen next, the more ads they sell. It's not that bad things don't happen, but most coverage, especially TV news, is repeatedly hitting you with the worst events and situations they can find -- "if it bleeds, it leads". They don't care about the truth or the quality of your life, they just want to play your fear because that makes them the most money.

(btw, don't flame me, I'm not advocating sticking your head in the sand, only suggesting for those who have developed a desire to hoard guns/ammo that they can't explain and are not comfortable with: (a) taking some time off, and (b) getting your news from sources other than TV)

LASur5r
September 13, 2004, 01:38 PM
Road,
First, as a free citizen, you can.
On my standpoint and experiences (Los Angeles) and other major cities in California...I have had guns pointed at me on more than a few occasions. I have had persons try their best to do me bodily injury...and some situations have been in the "good part of town." Remember...bad guys have vehicles too.
That's bad enough, both my daughter and my wife have had a nut case jump out of his car and come menacingly with a tire iron in hand towards the car that she was driving. He stopped when she hunkered down behind the steering wheel and had her gun ready (not visible to the BG)
My wife worked in a credit union where there were 7 armed robberies over a 2 month span with the guard getting pistol whipped several times. then sthey fired shots into the air (I think they were practicing on this place.) The times that she could? She accessed her firearm...sometimes she hid out waiting for the BG's to come into her office...ready to defend herself.
I lived in a neighborhood nearby to Watts when they had the Watts Riots. I could hear the gunshots and smell the smoke from the many fires.
I lived in East Los Angeles when they had the East Los Angeles Riots. We could see the CHP zooming by to respond to the many calls.
My daughter was going to a school a few blocks away from Parker Center (Head LAPD office) when the protests began and the store front windows were broken. Then later that day the LA riots began and many places were burned and people beaten or killed.
I can go on, but it gets wearisome.
How about when I drove up to Canada, ey? On the way up in Oregon, some dodo was weaving on the road, went into road rage...tried to move my car with my family off the road.
Went to a 2 year college in a quiet town...never had much crime in that town until some BG whacked a little old lady who never bothered anyone with a hammer....several times. Put her in a coma for 2 months until she died....she was my next door neighbor.
:scrutiny: :scrutiny:
Take your pick, my friend. Any situation where a gun could have (and did) make a difference in the security of myself or my family? Each time, no shots were fired by the good guys, but the presence of a weapon did make some perps change their minds about doing harm to me and mine.
I live in a good neighborhood too. My house price is nearing $800,000.
Live and prosper, sir.

Gunpacker
September 13, 2004, 01:43 PM
Not really sure, but it may be similar to when I used to smoke. After a while, I just had to have another, and then another. Also, didn't really need a couple of cartons in hand, but had them.
Could be also that I just like guns, always have. Ammo is really an availability issue for me. I like to shoot a lot when I get the chance to go, and milsurp ammo is the only affordable way to do that for me. Even reloading is 4-5 times as expensive as milsurp ammo. That milsurp has shown that it can dry up. Witness the inavailability of .303 ammo now.
I keep quite a bit on hand so that I will have it in the future.

Atticus
September 13, 2004, 01:51 PM
Because we can ...and besides, ya gotta have a hobby. I would just like to thank Presidents Clinton, Reagan, and Bush I and II for sparking my interest. LOL

garrettwc
September 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
I think it's a combination of what Dave1006 and Old Dog said.

One, our disposable incomes have risen steadily over the last several years, so we can afford more.

And two, maybe we are subconsciously preparing for things we never thought would happen here. I mean honestly, if someone had told you in '86 there would be an AWB and that it would become law would you have believed it? I think a lot of people didn't and that's how they were able to get by with it.

fastball
September 13, 2004, 02:06 PM
LASur5r--Your quote "Any situation where a gun could have (and did) make a difference in the security of myself or my family" made me think. Years ago,my niece (about age 10) was watching a made for TV movie about an unarmed family being terrorized by a group of thugs at night on a secluded beach. According to her mother, my sister-in-law, she turned to her friends and said "That would never happen to my Uncle Tommy. " We had NEVER camped or even had a picnic without the presence of my 1911 being on my person. I am a much different person now. I carry a Smith&Wesson.:D ----Tom

Roadkill
September 13, 2004, 02:28 PM
Great answers all, I basically feel that I don't want my last resource of defense being having to depend on someone else. If I have a problem first of all I'll try avoidance. If that doesn't work I'll call law enforcement for help. If that doesn't work then I'll take care of it myself at whatever level of violence is required to remedy the situation. I want to be sure that I have the the clear potential of being the threat of danger to whoever is the problem instead of them being the threat to me. "The police didn't get here quick enough" doesn't work for me.

Rk

Black Snowman
September 13, 2004, 03:01 PM
Why ask why? Just shoot 'em dry!

Appolgies to the marketting guys who made the Bud Dry commericals :D

Firearms have replaced all my other hobbies. I feel it's more worthy than my old hobbies like musical instruments I didn't play, RC cars I didn't use, cars that are expensive to repair, computer games that just wasted my time, etc . . .

The involvement in firearms, reloading, and politics is much more gripping than the other hobbies I've tried. So, the money that used to go into many hobbies I sometimes enjoyed a little all goes to my support of firearms.

fastball
September 13, 2004, 03:08 PM
Ladies and gentelmen: This subject has changed from lighthearted to a bit more serious. I will try to bridge that gap.--Tom

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/3416/do_the_math.jpg

beardking
September 13, 2004, 03:17 PM
Because I can. And because the only people that can stop me are my wife (not often) and my banker (quite often). I only have a small collection compared to most of the people on this board, but I do plan on enlarging that collection often. I've seen people ask the question "I have this gun, and this gun and this gun, what gun do I NEED now?" My answer, all of them. Except the ones that I want, leave those for me.

Tamara
September 13, 2004, 04:22 PM
I want to start my own platoon someday. :)

I'm aiming to be able to equip a company. :D

Gordon Fink
September 13, 2004, 04:32 PM
Whenever I start thinking that I have too many guns, I just remember my unborn children and grandchildren. Since firearms will probably be functionally illegal in two or three more generations, the weapons I acquire now may be all that my descendants have available when the time of need comes.

So, you know, it’s for the children.

~G. Fink

fastball
September 13, 2004, 04:43 PM
Gordon: You make us proud. You, like The AntiBubba are most noble.--I need to remember that "for the children" bit. ---Thanks, Tom

one-shot-one
September 13, 2004, 05:33 PM
for me Tamara hit the nail,
some people collect stamps, some coins, others baseball cards.
i perfer guns & ammo, and i'm not talking about reading matterial.

magsnubby
September 13, 2004, 09:11 PM
I don't drink. i don't do drugs. I don't smoke. I don't gamble. I don't chase women.

I buy guns and ammo.

A man can never have to many guns or to much ammo.

Dave Markowitz
September 13, 2004, 10:00 PM
Because guns are like Pringles: "Betcha can't buy just one!"

cratz2
September 13, 2004, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty far from the 'most armed' I've ever been... There was a time when I probably owned 30 handguns and probably 15 rifles. I just like the mechanical aspects of how guns work. I like how different guns work. I respect the feeling of a well-broken in 1911 and I had to buy it. I love the way CZs feel in the hand and I had to buy it. I love a very decent quality 22 bolt rifle and I had to buy it. If money isn't a big problem, the more the merrier.

As to whether we are actually 'more armed', I figure one individual that lives on his or her own probably needs one carry gun, a reasonable replacement, a semi-auto 'higher powered' rifle (223, 7.62x39 or similar) and a 12 gauge shotgun. A 22 rifle and handgun are nice as is a 308/30-06/270 type longer range bolt rifle. Beyond that, I think the prudent path would be to have more mags for the primary and secondary carry guns and the AR/AK and oodles of ammo. And know how to shoot them all very effectively. I honestly believe the person that only owns three guns and competes in three gun matches is much better armed than the person that has two safes full of guns and rarely shoots more than one or two of them.

spartacus2002
September 13, 2004, 11:48 PM
Because I read history. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Edward429451
September 13, 2004, 11:59 PM
Because carbon steel might be worth more than gold in the future?:D

ReadyontheRight
September 14, 2004, 12:15 AM
GOLD is for the mistress. Silver for the maid.
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade!
" Good! " said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

–Kipling-

Tamara
September 14, 2004, 12:28 AM
I don't think "need" has as much to do with it for many of us here as we'd like to claim, although it sounds good.

After all, one's bare needs could probably be met with a half-dozen guns or less. Even stretching need to its ElTejonian limits, I passed the point of "need" more than fifty guns ago. I mean, honestly, I need a 130+ year-old rifle that I can't even find ammo for about like a hen needs a flag. :scrutiny:

Is it that bad to admit you just want something? :uhoh:

GigaBuist
September 14, 2004, 12:38 AM
Whenever I start thinking that I have too many guns, I just remember my unborn children and grandchildren. Since firearms will probably be functionally illegal in two or three more generations, the weapons I acquire now may be all that my descendants have available when the time of need comes.

So, you know, it’s for the children.

I'll put a "me too" after that one.

Thankfully I enjoy the hobby. If i didn't I'd just be a paranoid nut job :)

RocketMan
September 14, 2004, 01:02 AM
The answer is obvious, folks: He who dies with the most toys, wins!

jeff-10
September 14, 2004, 01:03 AM
One pistol would suffice for self defense but you could hardly call one pistol a collection. (All potential home invaders stop reading now plz). I don't even keep a firearm loaded or even easily accessable for various reasons. This doesn't stop me from continually purchasing new ones even though I have way more than I could ever hope to go through in any imaginable situation.

One thing I learned is that you never buy a particular gun because it may be "banned" later. You buy it because it catches your fancy. We as gun owners/collectors see the supply mysteriously drying up when the rest of the world is telling us our nation is flooded with them. If you follow the philosophy of trying to anticipate what will be hard to get later instead of buying what makes you happy you will end up with thousands of dollars in guns that may not bring you much enjoyment.

Majic
September 14, 2004, 04:22 AM
I buy mine for the sheer enjoyment of a hobby. The thought of having to use it against another humban being is never on my mind when I look at it. Now I do hunt and some are bought with that purpose in mind, but the vast majority are just to put a big ol' grin on my face. :D

Iron Mike
September 14, 2004, 05:43 AM
Originaly I bought most of my 40+ guns because I enjoy shooting .Then came Y2K (and 30,000+ rounds of ammo)Now its Y3K and I only have 996 years left to stock up(cause you just never know)
Mike

JPM70535
September 14, 2004, 06:07 AM
I think Old Dog hit the nail right on the head when he alluded to the change in the Moral fibre this country was once noted for.

Check the "arrests" page (s) of your local paper and compare its contents now as opposed to more genteel times. (This assumes you are past your 50s.) Those of you who lived through those years complete with bomb shelters, Nuclear Air Raid drills, and the Cold war will immediately know what I mean. In spite of all the tension there was still a sense of security not possible today. Example: Locked doors were the exception rather than the rule, and Cops were truly your friends.

Unless you were a Sportsman or Sport shooter, or a collector, there really was no need to amass the vast stores of Arms and Ammo as there is today.
No need to live behind locked doors, not knowing when it might be your turn to get mugged. "Don't worry, remain calm. dial 911, help is on the way" Believe it!.

In todays world, the responsibility for the safety of you and your loved ones alls squarely on YOU!. Better buy some more supplies.

There is no such thing as having too much ammo or the instrumentalities to deliver same.

WEPS
September 14, 2004, 10:47 AM
i started owning guns for self defence but once i figured out how much fun i could have and how intertaining it was i was hooked. some poeple collect stamps, others race cars or ride dirt bikes, i own firearms. it's just my passion and if you ask me the return on investment is much more promising.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why are we arming ourselves?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!