what's the "most displeased with" gun you ever bought?

PDA

effengee
September 13, 2004, 09:22 AM
Mine was a Kel-Tec sub gun 2000...
Don't get me wrong, it's a totally neat concept, for a cop, a backpacker, or a definte leap ahead from the normal array of briefcase firearms...
I traded it for a Romanian sar1 within a few weeks of purchase...
I feel the design had no real advantage other than the fact that the whole thing folded in half and weighed less than a .22 rifle...
A longer barrel does little to improve the 9mm cartridge's ballistics
I didn't care for the sights, or that there was no real way to affix a sling...

I understand Kel-Tec has redesinged the sub gun line and has addressed most, if not all, the issues I've described...
Other than that, it definately fit the bill for most questions asked/interest given at the local ranges...

Did you ever buy a gun only to be disappointed before the first box of ammo was empty???

Anything made by Jennings doesn't count :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "what's the "most displeased with" gun you ever bought?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mtnbkr
September 13, 2004, 09:36 AM
Taurus 94 4".

Love the size, love the caliber. Could not hit the broad side of the barn with it. I knew it wasn't me when I could shoot rings around it with any other gun I had with me at the time. DA triggerpull was too heavy as well.

Chris

Gunrunner
September 13, 2004, 10:58 AM
My POC gun is an EMF 45Colt SAA. One of the Uberti clones. Bad fitting of parts, bad springs. It is pretty accurate, but when it wants to fall apart while you're shooting what good is accuracy? The price was under $300, one fourth the cost of a Colt. The quality reflects the price.

45R
September 13, 2004, 11:15 AM
"MY XD40". Took over 400 rounds to settle itself into a 3" group at 7 yards. All other XD40s that I've shot could do under .5" at that distance no problem!

armoredman
September 13, 2004, 11:17 AM
CETME - fed 20 rounds, then wouldn't feed from either mag, mag release came loose, and it shot a 7 inch group at 50 yards. Gah.

TerryBob
September 13, 2004, 11:37 AM
Wow, I thought that this was gonna be a Jennings Thread.

I bought one when I was young and stupid.:banghead:

TerryBob

carbon15b
September 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
I didn't buy it , it was given to me, and that should tell you a lot. A Jennings J-22, a total POS.

nvrquit
September 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
... between a Tanfoglio Witness Compact 10mm Wonder finish and a Walther P22.

Tan was back to EAA multiple times and the experience was not pleasant. P22 has been replaced twice and the second replacement isn't only somewhat more reliable than the original.

Tanfoglio needs a different USA importer/servicing agent and Walther/S&W need to rethink/redesign the P22 for greater reliability across the .22LR ammo spectrum.

Werewolf
September 13, 2004, 11:41 AM
Bushmaster XM15E2S with 20" Fluted Barrel.

Failed right out of the box with stovepiping. Sent to BM and they fixed that problem. Sighted the thing in and had to move the rear sight almost all the way to the right. BM said over torqued barrel send it back. Traded it instead. Probably will not ever purchase another BM product.

The Rabbi
September 13, 2004, 11:57 AM
Any 1911!!:neener:

No, J'K. Really it was a Smith Mini-Sigma in (I think) 9mm (maybe it was .380). I fired two mags worth, total of maybe 16 rounds. I had about 6 failures. Gun was loud and hard to control. Hurt to shoot it. Couldnt figure out how to take it down. I find out you have to drive two pins out of the slide and it comes apart like that. Traded it after one outing. Total POS.

Justin
September 13, 2004, 12:16 PM
HK USP .40

This isn't to disparage HK. The USP is a fine pistol, but it just didn't point naturally for me, and I didn't like the trigger pull. Just not for me.

bigmtnman
September 13, 2004, 12:22 PM
Walther P-22. POS jam-o-matic from day one. Walther r&r'd it and it's still a jam-o-matic!!

Darkmind
September 13, 2004, 12:31 PM
Glock 19! It was the first pistol i had ever bought. I love glock and own some others but never again will i own another 9mm.

Spieler
September 13, 2004, 12:48 PM
AMT DAO Backup in .45 acp. Utterly unreliable.

Ktulu
September 13, 2004, 01:01 PM
Double Tap!

Ktulu
September 13, 2004, 01:01 PM
Walther P22. Jams, would not fire in DA, POS.

Dorrin79
September 13, 2004, 01:35 PM
KT P11

Bad bad bad trigger, way too much muzzle flip and perceived recoil.

Neat little gun (11 rds 9x19 in a package lighter and smaller than my Makarov) but not for me.

Old Dog
September 13, 2004, 01:42 PM
... don't know why ... it was new, cheap and I hadn't found anything else that caught my eye at the gun show.
Horrible, horrible trigger, the worst ever ... incredible brutal recoil ... needed to be cleaned every 10 rounds or it wouldn't feed or eject.

NavajoNPaleFace
September 13, 2004, 01:48 PM
Fire Storm Duo-tone in 9MM.

To call it a POS is giving it a compliment.

Soap
September 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
Springfield 1911 Loaded NS Parkerized. Breech face too small and extractor crap. Also my Uberti SAA from Taylors, problem with half cock mode, sent back to Taylor's and now it has a timing problem.

DWS1117
September 13, 2004, 02:08 PM
Love the gun, butI haven't been able to get 40 rounds through it. The firs tproblem was not the gun's fault. I didn't get all the cosmoline cleaned out of the bolt and it froze up on me. Luckily the firing pin froze up inside the bolt instead of outside, so no surprise full auto. The second problem was the hammer broke. After I got it all cleaned of the cosmo too it back out and got through 10 rounds. On the next clip of ammo no boom. There were no hits on any primers. On the nex bolt pull the hammer broke clean in half. Finally got a new trigger group this weekend and I can't get the dang thing to snap into place. I really like this gin and am not giving up on it yet, but DANG it is frutrating.:banghead:

45 Carry
September 13, 2004, 02:57 PM
Kimber Pro Carry II, Aluminum, MIM Stove piping POS

Jiml3
September 13, 2004, 04:04 PM
The first gun I purchased was a Tanfogila BTA 90. I really liked it but when it needed servicing, EAA Witness refused to be of assistance. The jerk said that he didn't service them as he was not the importer at the time. I have a crack in the slide and would like to replace it but nobody has replacement parts that I know of.

I wrote a letter to the manufacturer about their distributor. That was 5 years ago and I have seen a lot of people on this and other forums having similar problems but EAA is still in business.

Maybe if everbody stopped doing business with EAA, the parent company would get rid of them.

Skofnung
September 13, 2004, 05:16 PM
Beretta Model 96. It was great except that the best anyone could do with it was ~ 4" at 21 feet.

Maybe it was just a lemon, but it soured me for good on the .40 S&W cartridge.

Wiley
September 13, 2004, 05:39 PM
Ruger P90.

jsalcedo
September 13, 2004, 05:43 PM
Mas 49/56 in .308

After the barrel warmed up I had to use a
cleaning rod for extraction.

Cosmoline
September 13, 2004, 05:44 PM
Winchester '94 in .45 Colt, modern production. Bought it brand new, and it hit four to five inches off POA at fifty yards! The service rep's suggestion was to bend the bejesus out of the thin piece of sheet metal that passes for a rear tangent sight. Another Win '94 would wind up with a cartridge under the elevator because of a failure to keep the round in the magazine! Clearing the jam required taking the carbine apart every time.

I switched to Marlin :D

Cosmoline
September 13, 2004, 05:45 PM
Mas 49/56 in .308

Yes, but you must admit the MAS is excellent at its intended function. It can be dropped with ease and also holds a large white flag very well.

Flak 88
September 13, 2004, 05:49 PM
Ruger P-85 and Rock River Elite Commando.

Standing Wolf
September 13, 2004, 06:51 PM
Ruger Mark II. I'll never buy another Ruger anything.

entropy
September 13, 2004, 06:54 PM
Sorry about your SUB 2000, I love mine. I have learned a few things about this gun the hard way, however.
Don't use cheap 30 rd. mags. Mine slamfires with them. The last one put a piece of steel cased ammo thru a freind's shirt and cut but did not stay in.
Don't use steel cased ammo. See above.
Or Blazers. It says that in the manual, btu it took me about 3 boxes to figure it out.
The Mec-gar that came with mine works flawlessly. stock S&W mags work flawlessly. (And now they'll be cheaper.:) )
I bought a Leapers 'tactical sling' from Sportsman's Guide for $10. It works great.

My POS is an Iver Johnson Cadet .22 snub. It spits about as much lead as it sends downrange. My son likes it, though.

Hkmp5sd
September 13, 2004, 07:23 PM
An original Grendel P-10 .380 (the one with the fixed magazine).

Jeff Timm
September 13, 2004, 07:23 PM
Star Super .380. I finally found a use for it. Trade on a gun to avoid the 3 day wait in FL.

Geoff
Who is waiting for his ship to come in, assuming it gets through the U-boat wolf pack.

Declaration Day
September 13, 2004, 07:28 PM
Smith and Wesson SW40VE. It was my first semi-auto pistol, back when I was working for peanuts. It never worked right. Constant jamming and stovepiping. Sent it back to the factory, and it still didn't work right. I ended up giving it away (yes, legally).

magsnubby
September 13, 2004, 07:36 PM
I've been "displeased" with a Charles Daly and RIA Commander 1911's but a little bit of tinkering had them up and runnig just fine.

I've been "displeased" with a Charter 2000 Offduty but a trip back to the factory strightened it right out.

I've been "displeased" with a EAA Bounty Hunter in .357 but the 'smith fixed it right up.

But the biggist POS i've ever saw was a Lorcin .380 my sister-in-law had. It was basically a single shot pistol. It wouldn't even feed hardball. A "friend" sold it to her so she would have some protection when she moved from Mississippi back to calif.

I recommended she take it up to the local dam and throw it off. Far out into the middle of the lake. So far out the catfish couldn't even find it.

She finally sold it to one of her friends that knew it was a POS. He sent it back under warranty but it never would feed more than 3 rounds without jamming.

Sactown
September 13, 2004, 08:19 PM
Glock 34. Nothing wrong with the thing in the right hands. My hands just weren't right for it.

gau5
September 13, 2004, 09:01 PM
professional ord. Carbon 15, returned to factory 4 times. unreliable jammer but very accurate for a light barrel rifle. Hope the bushys are improved.

bpisler
September 13, 2004, 09:18 PM
S/A XD-9,4-5" groups at 50' with most ammo wasn't going to cut it.

CZ 75B S/A,i broke two of the plastic triggers,The 2nd time cz-usa offered to replace the trigger with a metal one for 40 bucks.It wasn't real accurate either.

cratz2
September 13, 2004, 09:24 PM
Hrmm... S&W 22A. Only gun I've ever owned that actually needed to be sent back for repairs... Slide stop lost its springiness. Grips are uncomfortable, just generally don't enjoy the gun. But I still own it.

In its defense, other than the breakage, it has been reliable and accurate as could be expected of a brand new $149 gun.

When I bought it, I actually went in to get a Phoenix Arms HP22 I'd been looking at (stainless with both length barrels and a spare mag) but the Smith was only $10 more... Seemed like a no-brainer at the time. Other than the fact that they have like eleventy billion safeties on them, I've greatly enjoyed the three or four HP22s I've owned... As a range gun... I'd never carry one if I didn't absolutely need to.

Zrex
September 13, 2004, 09:40 PM
I bought a ruger MKII with a 10" bull barrell for silhouette shooting, then moved someplace without an apropriate range.

pfft.

Its the only firearm I have ever sold.

Rotty
September 13, 2004, 09:41 PM
Davis insdustries .32acp

Sucked big time.
only accurate enough for a "headlock gun"
and jammed at least twice per mag.

drannor
September 13, 2004, 09:55 PM
Beretta 96 Inox, after about 100rnds of shooting in a session I'd settle into 2" groups at 7 yards. The wide grip just didn't agree with me. Sold it.

CZ 75B S/A,i broke two of the plastic triggers,The 2nd time cz-usa offered to replace the trigger with a metal one for 40 bucks.It wasn't real accurate either.

I heard the plastic triggers were bad, so I replaced mine with the metal champion trigger shortly after purchasing the gun. Supposedly CZ USA is trying to get these guns with metal triggers from the factory. Never had a problem with accuracy, I shoot my 75's (BD, SA, B) as well as or better than my Kimber 1911's.

Edward429451
September 13, 2004, 10:04 PM
Streetsweeper 12 ga. POS.

Patriot Arms .45 Too light, too short of bbl, too much perceived recoil & muzzle flip. Nice fireballs though.:rolleyes:

Captain Bligh
September 13, 2004, 10:38 PM
The only one that I have been less than satisfied with is the Sig P232. I've only sold one gun in my life and generally believe in collecting, not selling. But, I'm still trying to decide if I keep this gun.

I like it for it's small size, it's accuracy, and it's reliability. What's not to like you ask? Two things. I hate the shape of the trigger. It always makes my finger ride down the trigger face and rub against the trigger guard. Then I always have to think, "hold low" so I don't scrape up the web of my hand when the slide cycles. I might trade this if I could think of something else I want more.

RJ

RandyB
September 13, 2004, 10:42 PM
Bought a S&W 4013. Shot 8 inches low at 20 feet! Sent it back and S&W "fixed it". Still shot incredibly low at very short range. Sold it and purchased a S&W 6906 (don't ask me why) Shoots great and no problems.

SkunkApe
September 13, 2004, 10:49 PM
An original Grendel P-10 .380 (the one with the fixed magazine).

Oh, how I wanted one of those. A gun magazine raved about it! I'm glad I didn't have the money at the time.

I did, however, once own an AMT .380 Backup. It seldom fed a whole magazine.

My all time least favorite, however, was the Kel-tec P32.

spartacus2002
September 13, 2004, 10:51 PM
Charles Daly 1911. Slide soft as cheese, barrel bushing looked like it was made with stone tools. Recoil spring plug broke after 200 rounds, jammed slide into frame.

But, CD refunded the purchase price, so kudos for making me whole.

YammyMonkey
September 14, 2004, 12:17 AM
Glock 22C. Bought the Glock, shot the hell out of it, got a Kimber Elite Carry, sold the Glock 5 years and a couple thousand rounds after I bought it for about $30 less than I paid. Bought a Springfield Loaded with the proceeds. I'm just not a Glock-handed person, 1911's fit me best.

Rexzila
September 14, 2004, 01:47 AM
My junk gun was a Grendel P 10 which would stovepipe on the last round everytime. The trigger pull was the worse I have ever experienced in any handgun, party by design. I also had some Ruger Speed Sixes which both had loose burrs from the cast investment process. They would rattle like baby rattles until I cleaned them out....I was shocked by what did fall out.

swingset
September 14, 2004, 03:53 AM
Kimber Custom II.

What a POS. Took 1500 rounds before it would cycle anything, and even then only ball would work, ever. Kimber tried 3x to make it right before they broke down and gave me a new slide, which helped but it still didn't run well enough to keep it. Overpriced turd.

I have had some sub-$300 guns that were far better pistols, I'll never buy a gun based on it's name again.

oweno
September 14, 2004, 05:51 AM
AT-84 ... made the cover of one of the gun magazines and I *had* to have it. On its best day, it might, might fire two rounds without some failure or other.

Back to the importer, returned with a note saying I was limp-wristing it. Yeah, right, blame the customer.

I'm still ticked off over this and it's been 20 years... grumble, mutter, ... I flat-out HATED that piece.

(and for extra credit, compare and contrast with either of my Makarovs which just keep on truckin')

Owen

Ric
September 14, 2004, 01:42 PM
PT 145 (not Pro)

bad trigger, hard to control

I did have a Jennings 380 though and it shot fine for ten years, wasn't half bad for accuacy either.

*maybe I got the only one* :p

effengee
September 14, 2004, 02:09 PM
I was surprised to read all the responses...

Thanks for some great info on guns I've drooled over on the cover of some magazine but didn't know anybody who had one...

And specially for the "guns-on-a-budget" deals I've almost gone for...

The Kel-Tec sub 2000 was just such a gun purchase...

Saw it on a tv show, saw it on the cover of a popular magazine, read about it in an article, saw it at a local shop for under $400, went home with it, shot it off, and was a little... unimpressed...

Not a bad gun or a POS, just not for me...

As my sig line states, I love them all...

jim

michiganfan
September 14, 2004, 04:33 PM
Cetme. Stopped going into battery after about 20 rounds. Never was able to get it to work. SOG took it back.

Trempel
September 14, 2004, 07:50 PM
Remington 597 22lr. Unreliable from the start and just got worse after that.

pbhome71
September 14, 2004, 11:28 PM
M1 Garand, and M1 Carbine. I should have bought more when they were cheaper... :)

WEPS
September 15, 2004, 10:39 AM
on my 18th birthday i ran down to the pawn shop and bought a chinese shotgun ( i forget the make and model). i remember that it did not have the firing pin safety that the msbrg500 does. the result was powder burn every time i shot it. i never could get the bolt to close fully. good news though! i bought it for 100.00 from a pawn shop in florida and was able to sell it for 250.00 at a pawn shop in cali.:neener:

HankB
September 15, 2004, 11:02 AM
TIE:

Colt Mk IV Series 70 Government Model. Look up the word "Jammamatic" and if you have a good dictionary, you'll see a picture of this gun. Worse than the pistol itself, dealing with Colt's :cuss: warranty NON-service made me vow never to buy another Colt product. :fire:

Kahr P9. Multitude of problems. Kahr replaced the pistol (unlike Colt's, Kahr has some ethics) but since I still resented being an unwitting beta tester, I traded the new replacement for a Glock 26. (The Glock works.)

Skunkabilly
September 15, 2004, 11:10 AM
M1A.

Sungun09
September 15, 2004, 04:30 PM
Always fired the first shot... sometimes all of them at once.. when it fired...

Zeke Menuar
September 15, 2004, 05:15 PM
Ruger P-95. Biggest POS I have ever owned. Add in Ruger's crappy customer service and I'll never buy a Ruger ever again.

ZM

Plinkerton
September 15, 2004, 07:07 PM
Phoenix Arms HP22.

Huge piece of junk. The hammer snapped in half within 20 rounds.

I send it back to the company, and it happened AGAIN.

This was a brand new one.

Now it's sitting in a box. It's not worth the money to have it fixed again...

rugerman
September 15, 2004, 10:45 PM
I've had 2 that were real pos's the first was a AMT dao backup in 380. The trigger pull was about 25 lbs and I never got a full magazine thru it with out a jam or misfire. I sent it back to the company twice and it came back the same way it left, I tried several different brands and types of ammo and none of them would function. The second was a Cobra 38 spec derringer, again the trigger pull was off the scale and it shot 2 feet low at 10 feet after 5 rounds the upper barrel will no longer fire. I called the company and they said that it was covered by a lifetime warranty I that if I would send it back to them and pay shipping both ways then they would fix it free (the shipping was more the the guns was worth ) so I asked if they would pay shipping on an obviously defective product and they said no. So Now I have a gun that if someone were to break in and it was my only means of self protection I would just throw it at them. It does make a great paper weight but that's about all. rugerman

Kharn
September 16, 2004, 08:47 AM
I bought a used Ruger MkII Government (at Maryland prices :rolleyes: ) that turned out to have a problem:
When the barrel and reciever heated up to about 100 degrees on a sunny day, the barrel would be able to rotate in the reciever from about 11:30 to 12:30. :what:

Luckily, Ruger replaced it for free, but I had to pay shipping one-way and for the new MD background check, the store didnt charge me for their services as they sold me a busted gun.

Kharn

HiWayMan
September 16, 2004, 10:38 AM
Llama Mini-max

Hit in the glasses with flying brass, when I could get the POS to fire.

Sacrificed to the gun gods on a 60lbs. anvil with a 16lbs. sledge. Trust me I did the world a favor. The stress relief gained from destroying that POS probably added ten years to my life.

PinnedAndRecessed
September 16, 2004, 06:21 PM
HankB:

"Colt Mk IV Series 70 Government Model.."

Mine did the same (1978). Turns out I needed to have the feed ramp and ejection port modified. (I think that's the correct terminology.)

Anyway, it functioned flawlessly after that. It even feeds lead semi wadcutters.

Duke of Lawnchair
September 16, 2004, 06:30 PM
HK USP40F.

The USP is a great gun, it's just not to my liking.

effengee
September 17, 2004, 08:46 AM
I haven't heard too many nice reports about Llama's mini...

Still, I can't believe you killed it for jamming and putting spent brass in your face... I would have sold it to somebody like me for real cheap... :)
I CAN relate to the feeling of sledgehammering something to death:evil:

Shoot safe, shoot often, shoot to kill...

jim

ObeOne
September 17, 2004, 11:44 AM
Taurus PT99
Good thing It has a lifetime warranty, I have certainly used it. Lost count of the Number of times I have sent it back (4-6 times I think :cuss: )
I got it as a Birthday present from my Dad one year, I am still reminding him about that!:p

Typhoon
September 17, 2004, 03:31 PM
Beretta 92. Horrible trigger.

Hmmm...the ex I bought it from had a horrible trigger, too. Could these things be related???

smokemaker
September 17, 2004, 05:13 PM
S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, 6" bbl, .357 mag.

Spit lead... at me, at the guy next to me, at the target some too. Awful gun.

My father had at the time (still has I think) a smith model 24 barrel, and we were considering rechambering it to 44 Spl, but I unloaded the gun before we got that stupid.

That Model 28 is still sitting at the gunstore, almost 12 years after I traded it for my beloved Dan Wesson 709.

MaceWindu
September 17, 2004, 05:39 PM
Skunkabilly M1A.

Are you serious? What was wrong with this fine piece of American craftsmanship? :scrutiny:

MaceWindu

DFBonnett
September 17, 2004, 07:12 PM
CZ-50. Interesting piece but virtually unshootable.

Stevie-Ray
September 18, 2004, 12:14 AM
AMT Govt. .45. Nuff said.:rolleyes:

NORM
September 18, 2004, 12:24 AM
one of the very first S&W 4006's, along time ago didn't feed good at all.

IBEWBULL
November 15, 2010, 01:26 AM
Detonics Pocket 9
It was a nice idea way back in the 80s a PPK size 9mm made of stainless.
Problem is unlocked blowback, bad sights trigger pull and heavy weight for what you got.
I could not hit at over 7 yards.
One more thing was the mag release would pop out the mag while in a holster.
Could be an unexpected shock for sure.

DasFriek
November 15, 2010, 01:46 AM
I can honestly say i never bought a gun i was disappointed with.
Some may have had initial growing pains but with tweaking all were fine shooting tools when i sold or traded them or still own them.
Id say thats out of about 15 guns.
3 Were Taurus and all good too great.

Knock on wood....Tap.tap.tap....
I have some future purchases that can be finicky as they are small ccw guns and i find those the most finicky.

stchman
November 15, 2010, 01:51 AM
Kel-Tec P11. Too many FTEs.

Wildbillz
November 15, 2010, 07:08 AM
BM 59. That thing would n't hold a zero to save your life. Sold it off for a H&K 91 which I didn't like either and sold it.

WB

AKElroy
November 15, 2010, 07:19 AM
Ruger New Model Vaquero .45LC. Loved the way it looked & felt, so it was an emotional snap purchase. SAA guns are not really my thing. Got it to the range, and it printed a foot low & left @ 25 yds w/ fixed sights. Not wanting the hassle of cranking the barrel & filing the front blade, I traded it w/ 30 rounds through it.

Got a CZ 85b on the trade, LOVE IT. It actually shoots where I point it.

papa_bear
November 15, 2010, 11:17 AM
steyr m40-a1. Complete POS. Jammed every 80 rounds or so. One time I had to take a mallet to it to get it un jammed. The finish was a joke. I couldn't shoot it straight if my life depended on it. Sold it post haste.

PinoyInFL
November 15, 2010, 11:26 AM
M1 carbine - really poor accuracy.

sansone
November 15, 2010, 11:32 AM
bought 2 mini-14's because the first one would not group. Unfortunately the second one wouldn't either. I was told back then "barrel-whip" was the problem but now I'm shooting a rem 7600 with skinny brrl and it's shooting sub moa.. I don't know what to think other than the pump is fast enough for me and having more fun with .243 anyhow

7thCavScout
November 15, 2010, 11:34 AM
Man, did this thread ever get resurrected from the dead (6 years).
I'll bite though...
Charter Arms AR7 Only effective at hitting a target if you grabbed it by the end of the barrel and swung it like a club.

InkEd
November 15, 2010, 11:37 AM
So far nothing too bad. I have a 442 that had to go for service twice but now shoots like a proper S&W. Also, I bought a SA 1911 that has a razor sharp front sight and a cosmetic defect that I'm going to probably send in for repair.

jimmyraythomason
November 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
Remington Model 700 BDL-DM in 7mm/08. It was beautiful but bolt would not close on a live factory round. After finally getting it to chamber and fire,it could do no better than 4'' groups @100 yds. Got rid of that turkey post haste.

effengee
November 15, 2010, 04:59 PM
I haven't been on for a while so it was strange to see a post I wrote so long ago on the boards when I logged on...

In the years since that Kel-Tec subgun 2000 I have had many a chance to buy another "I-really-don't-need-this-gun" but didn't, due to the subgun.

I just can't justify purchasing something which I have absolutely no use for...

It was still a cool idea, but sadly I don't have the funds for cool ideas to take up valuable space in the arsenal...

Another case in point:
Recently a friend approached me about a semi-automatic shotgun.
A Winchester 1911 "widowmaker"
Really cool gun, but as a shooter, I realised right away that it isn't a practical shooting piece. Not for extended shooting sessions, anyway. I don't have an asbestos mitt to cock the gun once a few dozen rounds have gone through it.

That being said, I'd love to own a pepperbox and a blunderbuss, neither are very practical but they sure would be fun to own and shoot from time to time...

Keep shooting...

Creature
November 15, 2010, 05:06 PM
I actually have two: A NIB Bersa Thunder (multiple part breakages) and an Astra A-75 in .40S&W that wouldn't feed ammo, including FMJ, despite trying everything such as new mags and springs.

rondog
November 15, 2010, 05:12 PM
A sporterized Arisaka type 99. Shoulda walked away from it, and paid way too much. S&W Model 49 .38 snubbie, also paid too damn much.

Oh, and a S&W Model 59 9mm that I bought brand new. Trigger was awful, grip felt like a 2x4, and I couldn't hit a barn from the inside with it.

therewolf
November 15, 2010, 05:21 PM
I can't say DISPLEASED with,

but for hilarious POS, a .25 Galesi.

@ a 1 1/2 " barrel, 12" groups at **3** yards. We call it "the greasy galesi" or "the jammomatic". It would FTE about every 5 rounds. Never FTF, though.

It's sole saving grace is it's size, makes for an excellent holdout or safe queen.
(Just PRAY is doesn't jam the first shot)

XxWINxX94
November 15, 2010, 05:25 PM
A Stoeger "Luger" in .22LR

Looks good, feels good, but is cheaply made and jams every 4 rounds or so. 1 Jam even broke one of my mags! Lots of misfires, and will sometimes chamber a round, and hit the case, but still not go off. (This was like-new Federal Lightening ammo). I assume this to be a weak firing pin. The accuracy is nothing to brag about either. The front sight is also a little crooked.

It was inherited so I didn't buy it, but I don't think I'd buy one anyway.

Zombiphobia
November 15, 2010, 05:30 PM
Kel Tec P32.. easy. Can't hit the broad side of a barn at point blank range.

jimmyraythomason
November 15, 2010, 05:43 PM
Stoeger "Luger" in .22LR

Looks good, feels good, but is cheaply made and jams every 4 rounds or so. I had one of these that did the same thing unless I sprayed a shot of WD-40 into the mag before loading it. It would work flawlessly after that even rapid fire.

rozziboy18
November 15, 2010, 05:46 PM
my list
rem 700 vtr inacurate
glock m20 jamed constantly
rem 700p 7mm wouldent group to save its own life
baby eagle always felt like it was going to fall apart

then again i was going through a "that was cool whats next" phase and owned alot of guns in duplicate in the search for cheap acuracy. in the end theres no replacement for what money can buy

November 15, 2010, 06:14 PM
what's the "most displeased with" gun you ever bought??
Way too many. These are just some that pop right in my head.
For inexpensive ones: Feather Industries AT-9, Tec-9
For (relatively) expensive ones: Kimber TLE II, HK P30

Old krow
November 15, 2010, 06:32 PM
For me the Taurus OS 24/7 .40
Not an altogether bad, I just didn't like the trigger.

For my g/f it was a Sig 250. She was hoping that it was similar to a Glock. :rolleyes:

smallbore
November 15, 2010, 06:43 PM
I once owned an American Arms PK22 (.22lr) pistol. Looked like a mini 1911. A right side grip screw was cross-thredded. Trigger spring broke after 250 rds. Sold it as 'parts gun' and spent the proceeds on ammo.

sprice
November 15, 2010, 06:53 PM
My first handgun, a para 1911 .45 jammed up real hard and I had to clear the barrel by shoving cleaning rod and popping the unfired round out. That and a .22 that I got for $100 and my dad dropped it or something and then it would only fire 1 out of every 10 times a round was in the chamber, the firing pin wouldn't strike it hard enough.

Jaymo
November 15, 2010, 07:13 PM
I bought a brand new AMT Government Model .45 back in '97. It jammed every 1 or 2 rounds. Hollowpoints would not feed at all.
Took it apart and found the frame and slide rails had the same rough, grit-blasted finish that the slide and frame had. Not good for reliable functioning.
So, I stoned the frame and slide rails and the trigger bow. Then I polished the feed ramp.
After that, it functioned perfectly, even with Cor-Bon 200 grain flying-ashtrays.
Hate that I sold it, but I sold it to purchase an EAA Witness .45 Wonder Finish.
The Witness has been a great gun since 1999. I love it.

Davis .380. POS is too good for it. Extractor flew off while shooting it. Never found the extractor pin or spring. Made a new pin from brazing rod, and used a ball point pen spring for an extractor spring. No more extractor problems.
Too bad it would only feed ball ammo. It wouldn't even feed lead roundnose ammo.
I unloaded it on a pawn shop quickly.
I once had a Jennings J-22 and it worked perfectly. Someone had to get that one. Guess it was me.
No problems with any Taurus or Rugers, so far. Kel-Tec P3AT works as it should.

Marlin 1894P. Bought brand new in 2000. Front sight screws were a few threads too long, had to file them down to get the front sight to stay still.
Rear sight blade broke at the holes where it folds. It was in the gun safe at the time and the sight was not folded down. Had to order a new sight from Brownells.
Wouldn't feed properly unless I RAPED the lever, and that damaged the bullets and brass. Not good for accuracy or reloading.
A few minutes with my Dremel, the flex-shaft, and a cone grinding stone and it had a feed ramp matching the factory feed ramp (slight bevel at the breech end of the barrel) of my 444P. Now it feeds anything.
It pains me to admit the problems I had with my little Marlin when brand new. It is my all time favorite rifle. I didn't feel like paying for shipping to and from Marlin to get it fixed. Figured I could do it myself for much less, and I did.

British Lee Enfield #4 Mk 2. Extractor spring broke the first time I loaded a round in the chamber. I bought the darned thing new, in the wrap. I wasn't too happy. But, since the part was cheap, and the Lee Enfields are my favorite bolt actions of all times, I didn't mind fixing it myself.

I guess the Davis was the only real POS. It was the only one I got rid of due to problems.

Then there's my Kimber Sporterized Swedish M96 Mauser 6.5x55mm.
Nice satin nickel finish. Low scope safety. Ram-Line Syn Tech stock. I free floated the barrel, pillar bedded the stock, and installed a Timney trigger.
Now I can't seem to get it to STOP shooting one hole groups.
Plus, it only takes 2 shots to sight in. Man, what is WRONG with that gun?:neener:
Yeah, I love that Swede Mauser. It's a tack driver. It was great before, but the little bit of work I put into it was time and money well spent.

jscott
November 15, 2010, 07:30 PM
Walther PPK/S .380.

On a good day I could get maybe 3 or 4 rounds before it jammed. Shoot whatever type of ammo you'd like, that was the best you were going to get. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they told me nothing was wrong. I beg to differ. The thing was horrible. It wasn't the magazines. It wasn't the extractor. It wasn't too much lube. It wasn't too little lube. It wasn't anything else. And it wasn't me. It was the gun, plain and simple.

I refused to sell it for the longest time based upon my morals. Then a guy came along that just had to have it. I gave it to him free of charge. He was doing me a favor. Would you believe it; he gave it back to me two months later. He literally said, "I can't take it anymore."

I took it apart piece by piece and properly disposed of it.

Oh, you say you would have taken it off my hands? I'm sorry, there's nobody I dislike that much.

m500'92
November 15, 2010, 07:46 PM
Ruger 10/22, shot 2" groups at 50 yards and wouldn't function reliably until I had broken magazines replaced twice at which point a Marlin 60 was already on its way. It shoots half inch groups and hasn't had a jam. Second would probably be a Browning SA-22, shot 1 1/2" groups and the barrel nut shot loose every 20-50 rounds, making the barrel and forend wobble a fair amount. Not sure if that's a common problem with that gun or not but I sure didn't like it.

The Lone Haranguer
November 15, 2010, 10:30 PM
A SIG 1911 Revolution Carry. It malfunctioned on the second shot I ever fired through it, and went downhill from there. I've had other lemons, but this was from a top tier maker, at a top tier price. That makes it my most disappointing and displeased with gun.

bannockburn
November 16, 2010, 09:09 AM
1) Kahr CW40-Very poorly finished barrel (looked like it just came out of a casting mold), incredibly rough slide operation, and pieces of the polymer frame were coming off when I fired the gun.

2) Walther PPKs-Stainless model that was also poorly finished, inside and out. Far too many sharp edges and a very heavy trigger made shooting it a less than an enjoyable experience. Add to it the occasional jam and untimely mag drop and it was traded for a something far more reliable.

3) Sterling Model 302-This should have been a good gun: decent design and construction in a nice small package. What it turned out to be was a total jamomatic. I don't think I ever got more than two or three rounds to fire consecutively without some sort of failure to feed or eject. Eventually I gave up on getting it to work and bought a Beretta Jetfire to replace it.

lonegunman
November 16, 2010, 09:49 PM
I had the displeasure of buying a pile of garbage Remington 1911 last July. It refused to cycle after seven rounds and had to go back to the factory. From looking at the gun I can guess three things. 1. It was not "made" by Remington in New York. 2. They have no quality control. 3. They do not test fire anything, they assemble it and stuff it in a box.

Seven shots, Remington made a gun that barely finished the first magazine and had the gaul to sell it. My 1920 made Colt 1911 has worked perfectly for NINETY years.

Shoot The Moon
November 17, 2010, 04:54 PM
UK spec Taurus 66 - (12" barrel and under-wrist brace to comply with UK minimum firearm dimension rules :banghead:) Fairly well made but couldn't shoot it straight with the stupid brace. Sold it along with the Dillon RL550 I used to keep it fed, but not after unsucessfully chasing endless variations of load to try to overcome my accuracy problems.

I stick with cap and ball revos now as they are not subject to the same restrictions......

Nail Shooter
November 17, 2010, 06:13 PM
Mid 1970's Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. Couldn't get thru a mag without some type of feed problem. God I loved the looks and feel of that gun but it was not reliable so it was traded (for more than I paid for it) on a Glock 19. The Glock is stone cold reliable and I'd stake my life on it. Regards,

Nail

gdcpony
November 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=49754

No need to say more Savage Mark II.

gunaholic2
November 17, 2010, 07:41 PM
The worst gun I have ever owned was the Walther PPK/SS. Two of my friends also shot this pistol and had the same complaint. It would rub the hand between the thumb and forefinger when you would fire it. It irritated the hands of all three of us. I sold it days after I had purchased it.

PT1911
November 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
If I am honest, I have not yet purchased a firearm that I was in any way displeased with... the first pistol I purchased was a P-22.. I still have it and I have not had the first problem with it... it loves CCI mini-mags and stingers but will have the occasional "light strike" with bulk pack stuff. Second gun was a Taurus PT-1911... it was another great gun.. I have since traded it for another Taurus PT-1911 (railed version) and, once again, great gun.

And now, more than a couple of handful of guns later, I would hate to choose which to sell if the need ever arose.. i am very happy with all of them to date.

PT92
November 17, 2010, 08:23 PM
Mine was a Kel-Tec sub gun 2000...
Don't get me wrong, it's a totally neat concept, for a cop, a backpacker, or a definte leap ahead from the normal array of briefcase firearms...
I traded it for a Romanian sar1 within a few weeks of purchase...
I feel the design had no real advantage other than the fact that the whole thing folded in half and weighed less than a .22 rifle...
A longer barrel does little to improve the 9mm cartridge's ballistics
I didn't care for the sights, or that there was no real way to affix a sling...

I understand Kel-Tec has redesinged the sub gun line and has addressed most, if not all, the issues I've described...
Other than that, it definately fit the bill for most questions asked/interest given at the local ranges...

Did you ever buy a gun only to be disappointed before the first box of ammo was empty???

Anything made by Jennings doesn't count :barf:
My Sub is one of my favorite guns!

-Cheers

Utah1
November 18, 2010, 09:57 PM
Mossberg 464. Got it new for a very cheap price earlier this summer- $308. Shooting all over the place at 100 yards. Put a scope on it. 12"+ groups with 150gr. and 4-5" groups with 170gr. -- I"ve got 65 year old Mosin's that shoot better.

Patriotme
November 18, 2010, 10:43 PM
I had a Springfield V10 that was a total POS. I put over 500 rnds through it and tried different loads and different brands. It still jammed regularly. I bought 5 mags and used different manufacturers. Same result. After 2 trips back to the factory they improved it enough that I only got about 2-3 jams per 50 rnds. What a disappointment. I'll never buy another M1911 from Springfield. I've got an XDM but had it been actually made at the Springfield factory in the US I would have passed on it.
I can forgive a mistake in a product but lousy customer service tends to cost a gun manufacturer about a decades worth of my business.

Erik M
November 18, 2010, 11:33 PM
Kel Tec P11. Bought into the hype of "oh they are inexpensive but they are the best 9mm pocket gun available". Traded it on a Ruger Vaquero and plan to replace it in my carry rotation with a CZ RAMI.

KingMedicine
November 18, 2010, 11:51 PM
Im shocked no one has mentioned a Taurus Judge (unless i missed it).. I have one of the Public defender models. Was fun to shoot, but the cylinder would bind after every shot. The firing pin would get stuck inside the rounds primer and required you to pull the pin out. Sold it off and will never buy a taurus pistol again...

cougfan
November 19, 2010, 12:34 AM
Wow no mention of Davis guns until page 4. I went to a gun show while in college and fairly broke (most likely from other gun buys). I didn't want to go home empty handed and bought a Davis Derringer in .25 acp at the last minute because it reminded me of a toy I got a Disneyland when I was little and hey, it is a real gun. The safety broke off on the car ride home and so far Winchester white box is the best ammo I have fired with it at about 75% reliability. It is neat looking and tiny though.

Spec ops Grunt
November 19, 2010, 12:55 AM
A used Marlin 795, not that its a bad gun, but because I overpaid for it.

I learned two valuable lessons:

A. Research every firearm purchase.
B. Haggle any purchase you can.

belercous
November 19, 2010, 01:19 AM
A Davis .380, by far. And I own 65 guns. The most dangerous this gun could be to anyone other than the shooter is to take it, and 15 others just like it, put them and a pound of black powder in a cannon, light the fuse and stand back.

59Bassman
November 19, 2010, 06:10 AM
Glock 22C. Bought the Glock, shot the hell out of it, got a Kimber Elite Carry, sold the Glock 5 years and a couple thousand rounds after I bought it for about $30 less than I paid. Bought a Springfield Loaded with the proceeds. I'm just not a Glock-handed person, 1911's fit me best.

Pretty similar story. I bought a Glock 23 to be my CCW gun. I put a few thousand rounds through it, and seriously could not consistently hit a piece of paper at 15 yards with the gun. But if I picked up my old Kimber Custom, I could shoot the center out of the same piece of paper. I spoke to an instructor about it, and he asked me about my handgun shooting history, which started with my dad's Gold Cup and went through some IPSC with my Kimber. His suggestion was to sell the Glock and buy a Commander-sized 1911 unless I wanted to devote some SERIOUS time and ammo to the Glock. I bought a Kimber CDP II Pro that is probably the best gun I've ever owned, and I sold the Glock for about what I paid for it.

I don't hold anything against the Glock, I just can't shoot 'em.

WhoKnowsWho
November 19, 2010, 10:11 AM
Arcus 94. Nothing wrong with it, but I bought it thinking it would be my hi-power fill in, but I never liked it quite as much as I thought I would. I still think about buying it back since the guy I sold it to still has not shot it.

Springfield 1911 Mil Spec. Bought it super cheap, traded it for something more expensive and planned on buying a Mil Spec later since they were still less expensive than what I had traded for, but then the prices jumped to almost the same price as what I had traded for. Dang you mil spec.

Cribbage
November 19, 2010, 02:00 PM
Any of the AR/M-4 clones I've owned. They were my first purchase when I got back into shooting after a hiatus. Everyone had such a raging (bleep) for them I figured they had to be THE THING.

Pip-sqeek round, boring gun with no soul, modular Fisher-Price feel and construction; I could go on.

I know I stepped on a BUNCH of feelings, but they truely were my most disappointing weapons purchases.

Kingofthehill
November 19, 2010, 05:11 PM
Kimber Custom CDP II

the aluminum framed portion for the feed ramp had been improperly machined because it had problems feeding from day one.

Then different HP's or mag followers put marks in it causing feeding issues.

Finally had it inspected and ended up having a steel ramp machined to fit.

what a pile of crap.... im so done with kimbers, this was the last straw with that crappy company.

Erik M
November 19, 2010, 05:14 PM
I think I've read more posts about Kimbers lax quality than I have any 1911 that was made in the south pacific.

Kingofthehill
November 19, 2010, 05:26 PM
I think I've read more posts about Kimbers lax quality than I have any 1911 that was made in the south pacific.

If you came to me and said... you can pick between ANY kimber or a Citidel,Rock Island,American Classic,High Standard or (enter any other re-badged Armscor or philippines 1911 here)... id chose the Armscor gun.

Too bad because I love my clackamas kimber. It was a phenomenal bang for the buck and has been nothing but dependable

Rex_lee
November 19, 2010, 10:30 PM
Automag II Backup in .22lr
I bought it lightly used, but in very nice condition.

I thought it could be a handy little pocket gun with .22 high velocity hollow points. First shot jammed, and every 2nd or 3rd after that jammed too. Tried all kinds of ammo, same result. Took it back to the gun shop and traded up for a Taurus PT709 slim. I love the 709. Search for EDC gun concluded.

Spec ops Grunt
November 19, 2010, 10:35 PM
Welcome to The High Road, Rex! :)

Narwhal
November 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
A springfield M1A scout. I bought it for it's reputation of reliability and it was anything but. It jammed at least once per 75 rounds even though I kept it cleaned and properly lubed. I upgraded to an LRB arms M14 w/ an 18.5" chrome lined barrel and couldn't be happier.

CHEVELLE427
November 19, 2010, 10:48 PM
new charter 22 mag snub it key holed at 15 feet, with 4 different brands ammo

charter wanted us t send it back on our dime (gun was 5 days old), dealer was no help either.

a few shows later we traded it back to the dealer for a loss that equaled the cost of sending it back. now the dealer has 2 UN happy customers and a few more bad mouthing charter.

i have an older buldog and it is super.

2nd would be any marlin 22 mag mod 900's,
had 3 all were right on for the first 2 shots then all over the paper said i would never buy another == but a 883ss came along and i bought it, wow what a gun, this one is a tack driver and a keeper.

so out of around 300 + - so far in my life time only 2 models to complain about aint bad i guess

mcdonl
November 19, 2010, 10:56 PM
I am not a big fan of expensive guns. I buy the lowest price guns to meet my casual, plinking and hunting needs. No secret to anyone who has every read my posts...

But, I think that "quality" guns have an uphill battle. (Quality in this sense means materials, tolerances, fit, finish and testing procedures....)

People spend hundreds even thousands (sic) on a pistol and they expect it to do something that a $300 pistol wont do. When it doesn't they get mad at it.

CHEVELLE427
November 19, 2010, 11:01 PM
People spend hundreds even thousands (sic) on a pistol and they expect it to do something that a $300 pistol wont do. When it doesn't they get mad at it.

read my sig line

ZigZagZeke
November 20, 2010, 12:33 AM
I had a pre-64 Win 88 in .243 that had an unbelievably bad trigger. My Howa 1500 would shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yds. The 88 shot 4" groups due to the trigger. The gunsmith said that due to the lever action, rotating bolt design with the trigger actually in the lever mechanism there was no way to effectively improve the trigger. I sold it.

Ignition Override
November 20, 2010, 03:57 AM
My first gun purchase was in '07 (age 52) and some of you have already read about this.

The brand-new Auto Ordnance M-1 Carbine was fine for about a month, but after maybe 200 rds. of new Rem. ammo the bolt got jammed, even though it had always been carefully handled.

CHEVELLE427
November 20, 2010, 04:24 AM
My first gun purchase was in '07 (age 52) and some of you have already read about this.

The brand-new Auto Ordnance M-1 Carbine was fine for about a month, but after maybe 200 rds. of new Rem. ammo the bolt got jammed, even though it had always been carefully handled.

that would be my kind of luck,

first gun and i got a dud,

dont let this turn you off, get it fixed and trade it off for another.

guns are like everything else=====MAN MADE===== and can/will break at any time.
god made items dont count!!

red1973
November 20, 2010, 05:38 AM
I didn't know much about guns back then, but I bought a .270 (can't remember who made it now) and it wouldn't even stay on a letter size sheet of paper at 100 yds. I sold it to someone--boy I hope I told them about its lack of accuracy.:uhoh:

searcher451
November 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hands-down, a Beretta Tomcat. When you look up POS in the dictionary, a photo of the Tomcat accompanies the listing. It's in color. And it, too, doesn't work.

Joe Demko
November 21, 2010, 12:34 PM
Probably the two Glock I owned. Accuracy was never better than meh. Neither one fit my hand. The two Mini-14's come up close behind.

If you enjoyed reading about "what's the "most displeased with" gun you ever bought?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!