Get ready for yellow journalism

PDA

50 Shooter
September 13, 2004, 11:44 AM
Is everyone ready for the reports that will be blown out of proportion whenever a crime is committed with an AW? You know they will be going all out to make it seem like it could've been prevented had the AWB been extended.

I can see the shades of yellow getting brighter! Case in point, watching TV this morning and listening to the reporter say that Kali officials are worried that the subjects here will cross the border to buy AW's! How friggin stupid are theses people?! Maybe they should also say that you need to be a resident of that state to buy a gun/rifle there.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Get ready for yellow journalism" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
September 13, 2004, 11:46 AM
Hey, if they get the right to drive and the right to vote when they cross the borders, you'd think that the legiscritters would be all for letting them bear arms, too.

Gunpacker
September 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
When have we been without it?

Atticus
September 13, 2004, 04:43 PM
"Get ready for yellow jounalism???"

" When have we been without it? "

Seriously! If someone is shot with a muzzle loader tomorrow, Tom Brokaw will be mumbling something about the NRA and the expiration of the 94 ban while sadly shaking his head. The bias is subjective at times, and blatant at others, but has been a constant for years.

RobW
September 13, 2004, 04:58 PM
There is no such thing like "Journalism" in the Marxist/Leninist "Mainstream-Media". It's just pure, naked bias to subdue the unwashed masses.

WR Olsen
September 13, 2004, 06:15 PM
It has aready started. There is a piece in the local paper concerning a cop in Miami (?) who was shot at with an AK-47 and that the demise of the AWM is the cause.

A cop board I belong to copied th article and all of the LEO comments were about how much we needed to have the AWB expire.

Stickjockey
September 13, 2004, 08:01 PM
About this cop in Florida who was shot with an AK: wasn't that actually an SKS, or is this another situation?

Old Dog
September 13, 2004, 08:52 PM
... of journalism in this country anymore?

Old Dog
September 13, 2004, 08:53 PM
this morning's Miami Herald indicated the female officer (who was shot) pulled over a car -- at night -- while alone -- with no back-up -- and no witnesses ...
(But, thank God she will survive.)

TamThompson
September 13, 2004, 09:35 PM
Yes, Old Dog, there ARE other kinds of journalism in this country. I'm a professional writer and author myself. Obviously, since I post here, I'm pro-gun rights. I also work very hard to write objective stories that present each side's point of view. I believe in being fair and not quoting people out of context. There ARE some of us honest ones out there who are trying hard to unslant and unbias the news and stories you read.

Please don't taint us all with the tar brush! What I prefer to hear is, "Some elements of the news media are biased." Although I must say that the vast majority of the bias seems to lie with the mainstream media markets, most of which are owned by a small handful of VERY wealthy folks thanks to the big mania of mergers and takeovers we saw in the 80's and 90's.

jdkelly
September 13, 2004, 09:57 PM
TT,

Yes, Old Dog, there ARE other kinds of journalism in this country. ---TT

Few and far between!

Respectfully,

jdkelly

Lone Star
September 13, 2004, 09:57 PM
Tam-

Have you read, "Spin Sisters", by Myrna Blyth, the former editor of, "Ladies' Home Journal"? She makes it clear that the media, especially for women, is seriously tainted with leftwing bias. She is witty but revealing.

I have seen almost NO objective journalism. I intended to become a journalist, working at The Dallas Morning News. What I saw there after the Dealey family was bought out by Belo and what I've seen everywhere else save for Fox News, has left me feeling that I couldn't work in mainstream journalism.

Fortunately, I've done pretty well at selling articles in hobby titles.

I know there are occasional mainstream journalists who have objective, even conservative, views. But their numbers and influence must be very small...like their chances of flourishing beyond small local markets.

Lone Star

Old Dog
September 14, 2004, 12:30 AM
my most humble apologies. You are correct; my brushstrokes were overly broad. Having been exiled in California lo these past many years and now residing in the midst of Birkenstock-wearing, Volvo-driving, latte-sipping liberal media center that is Puget Sound, I'd forgotten that there still remain in this country (however rare) outposts of freedom and common-sense, wherein individuals capable of independent thought work, sleep and read newspapers ...

El Tejon
September 14, 2004, 01:20 AM
Old, Volvo-driving? Latte-sipping?:uhoh:

Hey!:D Yeah, but my Volvo's full of guns and ammunition and I like a latte to wake up so I'm fresh as a daisy for gun school.:D

4570Rick
September 14, 2004, 04:41 AM
If the end of the AWB is going to start a glut of yellow journalism, what have I been watching?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Get ready for yellow journalism" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!