The best .22 LR Conversion

PDA

Gordy Wesen
September 13, 2004, 08:22 PM
I really appreciated the suggestions on a thread for the best .22.
While examining my options I settled on the idea to purchase a mil-spec .45 and put a Marvel .22 LR conversion on it. I see KImber offers the same but the Marvel guarantees sub inch at 50 yards.
What are your experiences with these and, in your estimation, is it worth it?

If you enjoyed reading about "The best .22 LR Conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr Jody Hudson
September 13, 2004, 08:31 PM
Last year I did a LOT of online research and Marvel beats the rest from what I found.

I ended up getting a Beretta .22 conversion, which had been on order for many years, and then bought a 92FS to go with it. It is not nearly as accurate as the Marvel but sufficiently better than most target pistols and very dependable.

I do plan to get a Marvel someday to put upon my ParaOrdnance or Glock 17.

Titus
September 13, 2004, 08:52 PM
I haven't tried the Kimber, but have a Unit 1 and a Unit 2. They don't claim the same level of accuracy for the Unit 2 as the Unit 1, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be at least comparable to the Kimber. (Marvel's website claims 1/2 to 1" at 25 yards.) The Unit 2 will operate more like your .45 top end than the Unit 1, and fit holsters too.

farscott
September 14, 2004, 08:05 AM
I have an old Marvel, what is now called Unit 1, and it is amazingly accurate. The factory test target for my unit was less than 0.75" at 50 yards.

Mine is used primarily for .22 Bullseye events, and it has been reliable and accurate with standard velocity ammo. I have used it on three frames, two Colts and one Caspian, with no issues. I have the iron sight rib, but an optical sight rib is available.

Bacchus
September 14, 2004, 08:33 AM
It really depends...if you're looking for some serious accuracy, go with the Marvel unit. But if you just want to plink, get the Ciener model and put the savings (about $50-75) into ammo and magazines.

rick_reno
September 14, 2004, 09:12 AM
Marvel is the most accurate - their service can be spotty. I got one a couple of years ago and I couldn't remove the screws holding the sight ramp on. Called them and was told to send it back and they'd get it fixed up in a day and back to me. The "day" turned into over 4 weeks, and I'd called every week to see what the status was. At the time they had a forum for discussing their product, and I found other instances there of people having more trouble with repairs than I had. I sold the thing after getting it back, I didn't need or want the hassle of dealing with them.

Walt Sherrill
September 14, 2004, 10:00 AM
The Kadet Kit for the CZ line is also an exceptionally accurate conversion.

I had a stainless Ruger Target Competion, long-barreled slab side, and the Kadet shot right with it -- regardless of ammo. I traded away the Ruger. It was a gorgeous gun, and nice to shoot, but I came to prefer the Kadet on my 85 Combat frame. If you are thinking of getting a CZ, the Kadet Kit is just one more inducement.

If you're doing 1911s, then I'd argue that the Marvel is head and shoulders above the rest. (Is there another conversion that you see shot in match competition by SERIOUS shooters? Apparently, quite a few bullseye shooters swear by them!)

I've seen a bunch of the older Cieners that just weren't all that accurate; some of the newer, premium ones, might be better. I also think Ciener is the OEM supplier for Kimber and Wilson, and who knows who else.

Shmackey
September 14, 2004, 10:24 PM
Gotta be a Marvel.

If I were going to shoot more bullseye, I'd just put a Marvel on a 1911 frame and be done with it. And I sure wouldn't be the only one.

cratz2
September 14, 2004, 10:40 PM
I had a Marvel Unit 1 that I was utterly happy with. Used it on about four different 1911s including a Para 14/45 with a borrowed mag and I had previously shot another Unit 1 that was also as reliable as one could hope for. And definately more accurate than I.

I have my eye on the Cadet conversion... I really wish they would come out with a shorter slide/mag version of it for the PCR/P-01. I know the Cadet will work, but I'd rather keep the same proportions as the original gun.

For 1911s, I haven't actually used the Kimber 'conversion unit' but I've shot one of the Kimber dedicated 22s... I assume they use their own conversion. And I shot one of the lightweight Dan Wessons (Panther?) with some sort of conversion... Almost felt like a toy gun it was so light but I was quite impressed with that as well.

Gordy Wesen
September 15, 2004, 12:06 AM
:)
I think I found my answer.

Black Majik
September 15, 2004, 12:10 AM
I have a marvel kit that I'm completely happy with. No complaints here, except that the slide is quite soft. I chipped the top strap somehow.

The gun is very reliable though, and also is quite accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "The best .22 LR Conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!