First Mosin WOOHOO!

PDA

DWS1117
September 13, 2004, 11:25 PM
I know its not an EBR, butthe funds just weren't there for one of them. But, I had to get some kind of gun to celebrate the AWB death.

Picked up my Mosin M38 today!!! Paid $70 OTD. No C&R yet(still watchin the box).

It is 1940 Izhevsk. Haven't found the refurbishment mark yet, but I haven't taken it apart yet. the bore appeards to be pristine and the blueing is nice so I suspect that it is a refurb. I don't care. :D :D

No pics yet. I will take some later in the week after I get it to the range.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Mosin WOOHOO!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
September 13, 2004, 11:28 PM
Hey, you have the same EBR I do, except yours is two years older. I have an M44 stock from the rearsenal - did you? I get about 3.5 inch with Wolf at 100 yards, looking to shrink that down soon.
Nice rifles, worth way more than we paid!

JimJD
September 13, 2004, 11:43 PM
Good for You DWS!
I just got My first the other day.
It's a M44 made in 1944, Izhevsk factory.
Have fun!

:D

Dionysusigma
September 13, 2004, 11:46 PM
If you still want to go the EBR route, buy another Mosin ( :D ). This time, remove all lacquer, varnish, cosmoline, etc. from the stock. Go out and buy a can of black wood stain, thin it just a *tad* so the grain of the stock is still tastefully visible, and refinish the rifle.

As soon as funds allow, I think I might do this. Currently saving up for a rather large purchase, however.

DWS1117
September 14, 2004, 12:52 AM
At least you said stain instead of paint like I first read it as. Something about painting a rifle like this is just wrong.

At the same show that I picked bought this mosin I came across a Russian Tula SKS. Beautiful rifle. It had nice bore and good finish. the only thing wrong was that some previous owner had painted the stock an interesting tan color. It was thick. I could almost make out the impressions on the stock. It looked nice but still it was wrong. Just my opinion YMMV. I offered the guy $100 just because of all the work I would have to do to remove the paint and refinish the wood. He didn't bite.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Mosin WOOHOO!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!