Calling Milsurp experts - Swedish Mauser

PDA

Hawk
September 14, 2004, 01:35 PM
My local shop is hurting me - just saw a Swedish Mauser with a threaded muzzle Gever 96B(?) that was so pretty it made my teeth itch and on the cheap as well.

Is the threaded muzzle something to stay clear of? I gather it was normal on the "blank firing" G96's - does it mess up the accuracy?

I'm guessing a 1900 rifle is safe to shoot with modern Swede 6.5 (?).

Also, it's an obvious refinish job - barrel blue and stock would pass for being a week old rather than 100 years. I'd suspect no collector value due to the non-original finish but I have to confess I like the looks - whoever did it didn't rush the job.

So what's the deal with the threaded barrel - maybe it's an "AWB sunset" feature on a milsurp? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling Milsurp experts - Swedish Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
critter
September 14, 2004, 01:41 PM
No expert here, so check with others but here is my opinion.

The threaded barrel is no detriment at all.

The swede IS safe with modern commercial ammo-and is likely VERY accurate with it!

Check to be SURE it is refinished. I have seen several swedes that looked like that and WERE COMPLETLEY ORIGINAL. The swedes did GOOD work on their armaments.

BUY THE THING if it is priced well. You won't be sorry.

JNewell
September 14, 2004, 01:57 PM
The muzzles were threaded for a device that shredded wood bullets in practice ammo, to reduce downrange risk. This doesn't affect value or utility at all. You can get aftermarket "caps" that screw on to conceal and protect the threads, but the Swede's didn't think they needed them. It won't affect accuracy either way (assuming no one's dinged the crown).

Any Swede is safe with normal SAAMI loads if it's otherwise in good condition. The only little caveat is that their gas-handling abilities are not up to the standards of the 98, so if you blow a casehead, you are more likely to have gas moving aft.

As Critter said, many of these rifles were pretty lightly treated and well-maintained, so perhaps it's not a refinish job -- impossible to say w/o seeing it.

Hawk
September 14, 2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Advice taken. Went and snagged the guy before it disappeared - just got back (gotta love gunshops 3 minutes from workplace).

Receiver and bolt numbers match. Receiver markings clear and sharp - Carl Gustaf 1899. No dings or dents apart from minor prang near barrel band. Bolt in the white and super smooth. Bore not mirror but looks strong. No corrosion on brass gizmo in buttstock - markings sharp.

Wood is beautiful. Dealer took it on trade and said the guy turning it in claimed "unissued" - I very much doubt it - just not used to seeing a basically 100% finish on metal 107 years old - too glossy too. Barrel band and floorplate also close to 100% finish each with 3 digit numbers that not only don't match each other but don't occur anywhere in the 6 digit reciever / bolt number. The butt plate looks like it should - 0% finish.

For 250 bucks out the door with a box of gimme PMC 6.5, I'm not expecting anything in collector value, but dang, that thing is PURTY.:cool:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 14, 2004, 03:28 PM
In years past there were thread covers for the muzzles of these rifles.

Congratulations on a fine rifle. You may wish to check with Samco Global regarding these thread protectors and the blank adapter.
Sarco, Inc. may be a source as well.

www.samcoglobal.com
www.sarcoinc.com

I have 3 Swedish Mausers. My oldest is an 1898 Obendorf manufactured model 96.

Find yourself a Lee Loader for 6.5x55 and enjoy the thing.

I hunt with my long rifle sometimes :D

Enjoy.

Regards,
Rabbit.

JNewell
September 14, 2004, 08:38 PM
PMC 6.5

I meant to make a note about that earlier, but that reminded me. A few years ago there were some lots of PMC 6.5x55 that were extremely hot. I think some shooters had blown case heads or similar symptoms. I still have five boxes of the stuff sitting around waiting to have the bullets pulled. Your ammo probably isn't from that era, but be observant when you are firing it. As I said, the Swedes are among the best rifles ever made and certainly the best bang for the buck today, but gas handling is not their strong point.

Wildalaska
September 14, 2004, 09:01 PM
Hawk, take a few pics and post I want to look..............

I load my own, Ill post the load fer ya tomorrow..........

WildjaAlaska

Dionysusigma
September 14, 2004, 09:03 PM
I say get it. :)

I really really wanted a Mosin 91/30 to replace an M44 that I had traded a long time ago. When I went into the shop, they had this interesting-looking rifle next to the Mosins that seemed it might be decent. 1919 Swede Mauser. $120. Some guy had re-crowned the barrel, done a trigger job, and installed scope rings...

Still want a 91/30. But I have not, do not, and will not ever consider selling this gun, much less have anything bad to say about it. :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?postid=1009348

Jim K
September 14, 2004, 09:08 PM
Just for fun, see if there are any crown stamps under the pistol grip. There will be a crown for each rebarrelling. If there are no crowns, the rifle may well be nearly new. Parts didn't usually get mixed up in service, but surplus dealers often replaced damaged parts, which means that the serial numbers on parts may not match the receiver. Those rifles are often in nearly perfect condition for a simple reason: Sweden did not fight in either World War.

Jim

Hawk
September 14, 2004, 09:09 PM
WA - I'll see if I can get this gizmo camera to work tomorrow.

I must still be stressed from all the bleating on the media yesterday: seems I posted that 1899 to 2004 = 107 years.

Oh yeah, and it's more like a 5 digit SN.

:: pushes back from keyboard ::

:o

JNewell
September 15, 2004, 02:25 PM
My oldest is an 1898 Obendorf manufactured model 96

IIRC, that could be a very interesting rifle...I think all the sources I've read indicated that Oberndof production didn't begin until 1899. If my memory is correct, that would be an unusual or even rare rifle.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 15, 2004, 06:25 PM
oh boo.

Thank you, JNewell.

I'm obviously getting so old I can't remember what I own anymore. I just was compelled to dig it out of the vault and look.

It IS an 1899 Oberndorf production model.

I even got my digital camera out just in case.

....nevermind.

Thanks.

Regards,
Rabbit.

cracked butt
September 15, 2004, 07:36 PM
Congrats on your new rifle. Don't worry about the matching or non matching numbers, they won't affect the way the rifle shoots, the onlynumbers that really need to match are the bolt and receiver- the nice swedish people who made and rebuilt these rifles would use a new bolt, would electropencil a matching number on a bolt, or would grind off the mismatched number and stamp a new number on the bolt to match. The rifle probaby has been rebuilt several times, as they were real picky about the maintenance of these rifles.

I'm guessing a 1900 rifle is safe to shoot with modern Swede 6.5
Domestic factories grossly underload 6.5x55 with the exception of Hornady Light magnums, which I've never tired.

PMC- I have a couple of boxes of the stuff also I bought a few years back, like another poster here, I'm going to pull it down and reload the stuff rather than shoot it, you can try a few rounds of it, if you get a sticky bolt or flattened primers, stop shooting the stuff.

JNewell
September 15, 2004, 09:31 PM
Boo is right. Rabbit, you had my pulse elevated for a bit there. :(

Hawk
September 15, 2004, 10:16 PM
Disclaimer: It's my wife's birthday, dinner out, drinks, downloaded the Mavica CD-500 manual and got MSPaint for imaging software. Tried to shrink up the pics - hope they're legible.

Here's the new toy leanin' up:

Hawk
September 15, 2004, 10:20 PM
The gizmo on the buttstock:

Hawk
September 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
Lastly, an attempt at the macro thingie on the receiver:

Third_Rail
September 15, 2004, 10:35 PM
Nice pictures on that! You bought a beauty.

cracked butt
September 15, 2004, 10:53 PM
Uhoh, whyis your trigger guard/floor plate sticking out? Was it just because you removed the screws?

Pretty rifle:cool:

Hawk
September 15, 2004, 11:30 PM
Was it just because you removed the screws?

Actually, I would've never known it wasn't normal. Both screws were tight and didn't want to get any tighter. Rear is inletted flush, forward projects as shown in the pic.

Dropped the floorplate and beamed the flashlight down and sure enough, got about an 1/8" or better gap between the forward mag box and the upper receiver. I can't see where the bind is, but the forward mag box doesn't want to go any farther and I suspect it's been that way for a long time.

I'll let the gunsmith find the bind and snug her up.

Thanks! Dang I love this forum.

cracked butt
September 16, 2004, 02:36 AM
Does the floorplate have a crown stamped on it? Not sure if a mauser 98 triggerguard would fit the rifle at all as its bigger, but maybe one did somehow get attached to the rifle by a former owner??

cracked butt
September 16, 2004, 02:40 AM
Have you tried taking the screws out, removing the triggerguard and reinstalling it, yet? the fit to the stock should be fairly tight, and it would be easy for someone to jam it in cockeyed if they were in a hurry or are really bad at pounding the proverbial square peg into the square hole.

Hawk
September 16, 2004, 06:59 AM
It's not cockeyed - just won't go up all the way. I can't see where it's binding. I'll let you know what the 'smith finds.

Bullet Bob
September 16, 2004, 07:50 AM
Love my 96. I've often thought about putting a new front sight blade on so I don't have to aim a foot or so low at 100 yards, but so far I haven't even been able to bring myself to make even that minor change from
"stock".

http://fototime.com/033F05ACF6ED24F/standard.jpg

http://fototime.com/4E904B20A52CCB1/standard.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling Milsurp experts - Swedish Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!