Don't we LIKE our guns?

PDA

Topgun
September 14, 2004, 02:37 PM
Everybody has such NICE LOOKING guns nowadays. This is BAD.

A well-loved gun should be all worn lookin'.

At LEAST at the carry point on long guns and the muzzles on handguns from holster wear.

CARRY them things. Wear em OUT!

Makes em happy.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't we LIKE our guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rembrandt
September 14, 2004, 02:41 PM
That's like saying a "A well-loved (edited:woman/car/home) should be all worn lookin'....Life is too short to own Ugly Guns.

Mikul
September 14, 2004, 02:44 PM
You're right, Topgun. Last year I noticed that my precious H&K has gotten all scratched up from holser wear. There was obvious shine on the high points and the black just wasn't as black as it used to be. I looked into all kinds of treatments, finishes, and even consulted with Swamis and finally realized that all of the those scuff and scrapes have come hard earned with thousands of holster draws and tens of thousands of rounds. Each missing piece of finish is a memory, a day at the range, my first reload fired. I wouldn't trade any of them now.

Ever since I decided that, I've gained a huge appreciation for well-worn old guns. Instead of seeing them as something that needs to be fixed, I see them as a holder of history.

fistful
September 14, 2004, 02:47 PM
Aw, shucks, Mikul, you done made me cry. ;)

mtnbkr
September 14, 2004, 04:49 PM
None of my guns are pristine. I wish I could afford to build a BBQ gun and keep it nice.

Chris

jefnvk
September 14, 2004, 05:30 PM
Just because you use somethign often, doesn't mean you have to beat and bang it.

On the other hand, when looking for mil-surp rifles, I like to find the most banged up, but still usable, ones with a good bore. I like the guns with a little mystery to them ;)

Topgun
September 14, 2004, 07:27 PM
My ole uncle probly shot more game than I have even seen on Animal Planet. His practice was to ....TOSS.....the RAW gun into the back of his pickup. I winced every time (girly man) but I had my precious 870 in a CASE while I rode in the back of that truck.

Oh yeah, HIS gun was only a Win M21.

His DEER ROFFLE was the same. Back of pickup, shoot deer, come home, hang gun on rack in SCREEN PORCH. Heated by sun in summer and cooled by fog in winter.

Remington .35 auto. It LOOKED like he treated it too. NEVER cleaned a gun in his life I would bet.

"Whut th hell ya CLEAN it fer?" he would thunder (6'5" 345 lbs) Only a damn GUN! Shoots, don't it?

Couldn't argue the point. Lots of game dropped.

:what:

Tharg
September 14, 2004, 07:33 PM
ROFL

have to admit i like my guns....

SO they are mostly babied. =)

prolly don't clean as often as i should - but they do get cleaned at least ... got a friend that doesn't clean his guns hardly ever.... about says the same thing that one's dad did. It shoots... its accurate enough for me... why should i clean it more - had it for years....

rofl

J/Tharg!

Majic
September 14, 2004, 07:39 PM
Well loved don't mean worn out. You can still love and use your firearm without it looking rode hard and put up wet. Maybe you are to hard on yours?

Skunkabilly
September 14, 2004, 07:42 PM
Both Nina and Bambi (Beretta and Benelli) are all scratched up but damn they looks gooooooood! :cool:

But my M1A was just... :barf:

Cosmoline
September 14, 2004, 09:13 PM
You should see my Mossy 500 slugster. It served in a patol car for many years, then as a bush contractor's bear protection. For the past few years its' been my fishing shotgun, and has specks of rust all over it in spite of repeated cleanings and greasings. It will function even with a receiver full of muddy glacial silt and is accurate enough to take the top neatly off a spruce tree at fifty feet.

Flyboy
September 14, 2004, 11:27 PM
Fishing shotgun? Apparently, somebody failed to explain the concept of "fishing" to you. :D

Black Majik
September 14, 2004, 11:35 PM
Well I dont carry here in California, so the most worn looking gun I own is my Colt Government that only has a very slight muzzle wear from when I could pack heat in Arizona. :D

I dont have a chance to wear out my guns except SHOOT them. ;)

cratz2
September 15, 2004, 01:09 AM
I've always kept my guns very clean... And when taking pictures, it's easy enough to get angles that don't augment wear. I've worn most of my centerfire guns or at least most of them with sub 6" barrels. :p

The few I've worn the most look worn, but don't look like they've been dragged while tied to the back of a pickup or anything like that...

WhoKnowsWho
September 15, 2004, 01:49 AM
I like stuff that looks good. Mil Surp stuff was used and normally shows it, which is fine. But my newer stuff... I don't toss it around. If I did, I would do the same to a car, clothes, etc.

38SnubFan
September 15, 2004, 01:51 AM
I've PROUDLY carried my .38 snubbie anytime and anywhere I can legally do so (concealed, of course). It shows its signs of holster wear, especially around the trigger guard, and the bluing in some spots isn't as nice as brand-new, but it's well-loved by me. :)

She gets cleaned and oiled after ANY time she's fired, which helps to bring some of her "shine" back, and a patch or two down the barrel (with maybe a light film of oil) every week or two to keep the dust out. (Typically don't have to worry about too much "carry" maintenance - she gets "played with" at least once every week or two).

Thought about getting her re-blued after I buy the next gun, but then I thought about it: "Wouldn't it look then like I never fired it?" :scrutiny:

I wouldn't want that now either. :uhoh:

-38SnubFan

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't we LIKE our guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!