Looking for base and ring setup for Remington VS in 308

PDA

mhpoole
September 14, 2004, 05:29 PM
Looking for an experienced person to give me advise on a bullet proof setup for a new remington vs in .308. It will probably have a leupold or burris scope mounted on top but need advise on a good set of rings and base for the remington vs.

Thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for base and ring setup for Remington VS in 308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Harold Mayo
September 14, 2004, 05:47 PM
There's a bunch. My personal favorites are Badger Ordnance and IOR Valdada. Check over at www.snipershide.com for some really dedicated guys who will give you all the advice on the subject that you want...and maybe even more.:D

Archie
September 14, 2004, 06:38 PM
The Leupold two piece bases just screw right on.

That's what connects my 700 to my Leupold 4.5x11 'Tactical'.

dakotasin
September 14, 2004, 08:27 PM
i like a 20moa base and warne rings (low if you have a 1" scope and 50 mm obj, and med. if you have a 30mm tube).

warne rings are solid. very heavy, too, but not a problem w/ varmint guns.

my second choice would be leupold 2-piece base w/ leupold rings. these bases sit a lot closer to the gun than the long range bases, so you will have to go w/ 'standard' ring size practices (i.e. med. rings for 40mm obj., high rings for 50's).

skunyun
September 14, 2004, 09:02 PM
This set up works for me (rifle close to what you're setting up)

SA 3rd Generation Gov. / Burris One Piece Base / Luppy extra High rings

Seems to keep all them little holes together

WalkerTexasRanger
September 14, 2004, 10:28 PM
Leupold QRW rings and QRW bases. Work like a champ!!

Mike Hull
September 14, 2004, 10:42 PM
I've got the QRW bases, and rings on mine also. They do work great.

Jonathan
September 15, 2004, 02:14 AM
If you really do mean "bulletproof", then you need to find a one-piece steel base and some solid rings, probably in the picatinny 1913 spec.

Other options would be a one-piece mount, but I don't really have any experience in those.

If you just mean "solid" and reliable, then there are lots of good choices. I've heard exceptionally nice things about properly set up Burris Z rings.

If you do go with the one-piece, please bed it properly.

mhpoole
September 15, 2004, 02:32 AM
I was thinking of the badger 1 peice but the guys at snipershide told me about TPS are about 1/2 the price and they like them alot. But it is 1 peice set up. Please explain the installation process or is it best to have a good smith do it. And i was talking about the Steel setup.

Thanks

Mark

LToled
September 15, 2004, 11:33 AM
I'm using a Ken Farrell 1-pc base and TPS TSR-W low rings for my LTR and VS 5-R setup. This combo works great for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for base and ring setup for Remington VS in 308" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!