springer spring question

PDA

walking arsenal
September 14, 2004, 05:33 PM
i think the recoil spring in my gun needs replacing. how many pounds is to many for a springfield GI? i think someone said not to go over 14 pounds? what about a 16?

im also doing the mag springs 11 pounds right? i just want to make sure before i order them.

im also guessing to test the recoil spring before i test the mag springs, or can i do both at once.

W.a.

If you enjoyed reading about "springer spring question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
perry1963
September 14, 2004, 06:08 PM
from what i have read colt uses 16lb recoil springs so when i replace mine thats what i use, never had a problem, 11lb for magazines is also fine.

1911Tuner
September 14, 2004, 06:40 PM
Howdy WA,

All the GI Springfields that I've seen so far have had recoil springs that test
at 13.5-14 pounds, but yours should be okay with a 16-pound Wolff. The
11-pound mag springs provide a little insurance against last round rideover feeds with a 16 pound spring.

Mine came with a spring that was identical in wire diameter and coil spacing as a Wolff 14-pound spring...but it was two coils shorter.

In over 25 years of testing, I've never found a new Colt Government Model
with an OEM 16-pound spring...Most run very close to 14 pounds, give or take a tenth.

Luck!

Tuner

If you enjoyed reading about "springer spring question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!