my sar-1 and a side folding stock?

PDA

chetrogers
September 14, 2004, 07:21 PM
I was all excited about putting a side folding stock on my sar-1 so before i bought one online i desided to call a local gun store to see if they were going to be getting any.And he told me no because it would be illegal and then said something about because it was imported or not .To tell the truth after he said no it would be illegal i reall stoped listening and was confused..

I own a romanian sar-1 2003 model.Was he rite or am i just being stupid..I was reading posts on the subject and now am so confused I thought i would ask here.

If you enjoyed reading about "my sar-1 and a side folding stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BevrFevr
September 14, 2004, 07:39 PM
My sar-1 has the American parts though. Could I put on one of the SVD side folders?

cosmonick
September 14, 2004, 08:55 PM
I believe that you're okay as long as you use an American made stock, so as to keep up your ratio of American to foreign parts.

Check www.tapco.com

mo

skunyun
September 14, 2004, 09:07 PM
Got to have atleast 10 US Made parts / so what he said about get yourself an American made folder and you be good to go
I also second the motion on Tapco

glocksman
September 14, 2004, 09:25 PM
The number of US made parts required varies from design to design.
As long as you aren't replacing a US part with a foreign part, you're good to go.

I replaced the Romanian wood stock on my WASR-10 hicap with a Romanian sidefolder. As the gun still has the required number of US compliance parts that it came with from Century Arms, it's perfectly legal.

http://glocksman.webhobbit.net/AK3.jpg

In this gun, the compliance parts Century used are the pistol grip, gas piston, and fire control group.

Dionysusigma
September 14, 2004, 09:32 PM
I also have a SAR-1, 2003 manufacture.

From what I understand, the buttstock itself is Romanian, as is the rest of the wood... that's why they come from the factory with that treesap-like finish that Mosin-Nagants also have. It's a Common eastern-Bloc finish for rifles with wood, IIRC. Thus, if you switch out the Romanian-made wood stock with a Romanian-made wire folding stock, it should be just fine.

If you want to be absolutely sure of the parts count, get an American-made fire control group like the adjustable one Red Star Arms has, or a cheaper one from Tapco.

And when (if) you do get it, post a report with pics! I've been thinking of getting one for a while now myself... :)

glocksman
September 14, 2004, 09:46 PM
If you do get a Romanian sidefolder, be sure it comes with the screws needed to secure it to the rifle. It uses hex head machine screws instead of the wood screws used with the original stock.

When I tightened down the rear screw, it made the stock almost impossible to fold in because the tip was bearing down on the internal mechanism. I fixed this with a dremel and cut off about an eighth of an inch from that screw.

The stock is steady as a rock when extended.

chetrogers
September 14, 2004, 10:08 PM
So Tapco is American brand.And anyway i look at it if i get one of these i will be ok..Correct?

glocksman
September 14, 2004, 10:11 PM
You could go with either the Romy surplus like I did or the new US made TAPCO as it doesn't matter unless you replaced some of the US compliance parts with foreign replacements.

The shoulder stock isn't a compliance part.

chetrogers
September 14, 2004, 10:11 PM
Is there a different place i can buy it from i would like the wire style like on glocksman's picture posted.Thanks

glocksman
September 14, 2004, 10:51 PM
I bought mine from Federal Arms (http://www.gunsnstuffonline.com/index.aspx?pagename=moreinfo&uniqueid=3530037)
It was about $50 with shipping.

Here's what it looks like extended
http://glocksman.webhobbit.net/AK1.jpg

BryanP
September 14, 2004, 11:00 PM
Instead of the Romanian side folder you could always get one of Tapco's Galil-style US made folders like this:

http://www.tapco.com/item_pics/lg/STK060105_lg.jpg

natedog
September 15, 2004, 01:35 AM
Are any of these stocks comfortable? Can you get good cheek weld? Is accuracy affected? Thanks!

Dionysusigma
September 15, 2004, 01:41 AM
I'm willing to bet that cheek weld is practically impossible with the wire folder. And the Tapco version just... doesn't seem right. It doesn't go with the rifle at all, as far as materials and such. The lines seem wrong to me. :(

Hey Glocksman--how much difference is there in the length of the stock? Is the wire one longer or shorter than the wooden ones, and by how much? How solid is it when folded?

glocksman
September 15, 2004, 07:01 AM
For me, the cheek weld is a little better than on the wooden stock, but YMMV. I wouldn't want to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle with it, but the AK isn't known for having heavy recoil. :)

The overall length of the gun is the same as with the wooden stock installed and it locks solid in either the extended or folded position.

I'm very impressed with it as my only previous experience with a sidefolder stock was with a cheap SKS fiberglass one that wasn't nearly as solid when extended.

For looks I would have preferred an underfolder, but the proper installation of one involves a lot more work to the gun, whereas this was just a straight swap.

If you enjoyed reading about "my sar-1 and a side folding stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!