If all guns were outlawed...

PDA

effengee
September 14, 2004, 09:06 PM
Rosie O's kids wouldn't be safe because her bodyguards wouldn't be able to carry concealed firearms...
Sara Brady would have to give back all the donations of her "non-profit" organization...
The varmint population would quadruple overnight and cities across the nation would be overrun...
The World Olympic Games would become entirely and completely boring...
Movies would become nothing but romance and comedy with no action whatsoever...
Crime would literally come to halt because no guns would be in the hands of criminals and no gun-related influences would prey upon unsuspecting citizens...
Frail women and police officers would never have to live in fear of a bullet from a stolen firearm being turned against them...
Suicides numbers would decrease drastically...
Members of one of the most heated, longest running political lobbies would be forced to find another worthy debate to fill their lives with...
And I'd have to dig a big hole on my property to hide the stockpile...

If you enjoyed reading about "If all guns were outlawed..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
UberPhLuBB
September 14, 2004, 09:15 PM
Crime would literally come to halt because no guns would be in the hands of criminals and no gun-related influences would prey upon unsuspecting citizens...

I disagree entirely. Where do you think criminals get their guns? Do you think they'll give them up? Do you think the source of their weapons will close off or open up?

effengee
September 14, 2004, 09:22 PM
We cause criminals to be able to obtain firearms... The legitimate gun owner, and the local gunshop are the only available firearms marketplace...
Everyone knows that or we'd all own a $20 handgun available from the back of a truck on the streetcorner...

Pilgrim
September 14, 2004, 09:24 PM
For a gun ban to be 100% effective, the public would have to accept and embrace summary execution of any unauthorized person in possession of a firearm. This would have to include authorized persons who forgot their credentials.

Pilgrim

jobu07
September 14, 2004, 09:36 PM
I think he was being fasecious(sp?).

Jim K
September 14, 2004, 09:57 PM
For an interesting comparison, I recall reading newspaper stories in this vein:

"Once this law is passed, we will be able to turn our prisons into schools and hospitals."

"This legislation will end crime and violence forever in the United States."

"We must pass this law now, while many men are away; it is women who will secure its passage and women who will benefit."

"Those envisioning a totally crime free society may be a bit overoptimistic, but a reduction of 80-90 percent can assuredly be expected."

"With the temptation out of the way, with evil defeated, our people will be safe from the devil once and for all."

I found the newspapers in an old house. They were dated in the summer and early fall of 1919. The law being promoted was the Volstead Act, which was the enabling legislation for the Eighteenth Amendment. The "evil" was "Demon Rum", and the law became known as Prohibition.

I leave the reader to think about the consequences and the fact that newspaper writers lying to promote an agenda are not anything new.

Jim

gryphon
September 14, 2004, 10:07 PM
jobu07 wrote:
I think he was being fasecious(sp?).

Spelling is "facetious".

The origina lpsot sounds like someone just trying to start an argument.

TamThompson
September 14, 2004, 10:59 PM
...I think we'd see pretty much the same crime rate, only it would be committed with medieval weapons. If I had to choose, I'd take a nice, clean gunshot over being bludgeoned with an ax, or a mace, or a morningstar.

I believe they're already seeing some of this occur in the UK and in places like Romania. :P

If you enjoyed reading about "If all guns were outlawed..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!