Who's got loads for the 6.5x55?

PDA

riddleofsteel
September 14, 2004, 10:25 PM
I have been doing some loading for a Remington Classic in 6.5x55. The 6.5x55 is one of those older cartridges that is held back in the 1896 Mauser but can really shine in a modern rifle like the Remington 700 or Winchester 70. I really enjoy loading for a rifle where you have enough room in the magazine to seat bullets out as far as you need to allow the bullet to almost kiss the lands when chambered. One of my pet peeves about short actions is that the dern magazines are so short. The German engineers that designed the 6.5x55 used the same concept as the 8mm Mauser cartridge in that they use almost 100% of the case capacity only seating the bullet enough to hold it in place.
For loads I have been using Remington cases, Benchrest primers, and the excellent Hornady 129 grain SP. So far IMR 4350, H 4831, and Reloader 22 all seem to be in the runing as top velocity and accuracy.
I have several pounds of IMR 4350 on hand. However I use H 4831 for my 25-06 loading and for the 6.5-.284 so I have it around also. My supply of Reloader 22 is limited to part of an old can left from some other long forgotten project.
Do some of you have pet loads for the 6.5X55 in a modern rifle you would like to share?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who's got loads for the 6.5x55?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wildalaska
September 14, 2004, 10:37 PM
I have a load that dulicates mil spec, but its mild

WildmoaAlaska

Clark
September 15, 2004, 03:36 AM
Is there something stronger in the Rem700 than the 96 Mauser?
I own both guns, and I can't see anything.
The Swedes chamber the '96 in .270 and sell it.
The 270 is 65 kpsi, proof loads at 84.5 to 91 kpsi.

niemand
September 15, 2004, 09:15 AM
"M-96" (And Simular) Actions given Stateside "Military Action-Beware" status. Most of this "Rumour/Urban Legend" material.

Northern Arms in particular quite nice, constituant material "Meteoric-Iron", low-impurities.

mtnbkr
September 15, 2004, 11:19 AM
In my Winchester Featherweight, I use 47gr of RL22 under a Sierra 140gr Gameking. I was getting 3 shot half moa groups for a while, but lately, I've been shooting .75" to 1.5". I think it's me because I didn't do any rifle shooting for quite a while and made no changes to the gun.

Using the same bullet and same cases, a slight overcharge of IMR 4350 got me to about 1".

Chris

JNewell
September 15, 2004, 03:18 PM
I think I'd be more concerned with gas handling than with physical strength when shooting a 96 Mauser. I don't think a rifle in good condition is any more likely to let go than other (in some cases more) modern actions, but if something happens, the results in the Swede may be worse.

niemand
September 15, 2004, 03:39 PM
(Quote)
I think I'd be more concerned with gas handling than with physical strength when shooting a 96 Mauser. I don't think a rifle in good condition is any more likely to let go than other (in some cases more) modern actions, but if something happens, the results in the Swede may be worse.

Should be utter "Non-Issue" with potential exception of "Clark". :)

Jaywalker
September 15, 2004, 04:33 PM
mtnbkr,
I suspect the variation you see is based upon the change in ambient temperatures - RL22 is reputed to be very sensitive to temperature changes. It's the main reason I'm changing to Hodgdon Extreme. Do you want to buy an unopened can of RL22?

riddleofsteel,
Trying someone else's pet load has never worked very well for me. (1) As per the above discussion, I'm moving to a more temperature-insensitive powder than RL22. (2) I've also read some gunwriters who believe double-based powder is somewhat less consistent than single-based. I'm trying two of Hodgdon's Extreme line, H4831SC and Varget, both single-based, but H4350 might be in my future, too. (3) I think even more than a grain or two of powder, seating depth of the bullet has much to do with group size, and the tools to measure this aren't common. This isn't much help - sorry.

Jaywalker

JNewell
September 15, 2004, 10:28 PM
Should be utter "Non-Issue" with potential exception of "Clark".

Oh, shudder!!! :what:

mtnbkr
September 15, 2004, 11:22 PM
Do you want to buy an unopened can of RL22

Nope. I have enough already and don't want more if it's not going to be my solution. I wish it was though. When the temps are favorable for it, I get great groups.

I have some H4350, but didn't get good results with it. I may revisit it though. If Varget isn't too pricey at the Leesburg show this weekend, I may buy a pound of it as well.

Chris

Jaywalker
September 16, 2004, 08:55 AM
Didn't know about the Leesburg show - where and when? I paid $19-something for Varget at the Ffx Gun Club.

Jaywalker

mtnbkr
September 16, 2004, 10:10 AM
Leesburg Show: National Guard Armory, 41905 Loudoun Center Place

www.vcdl.org/odgs.htm

Chris

TNrifleman
September 16, 2004, 03:53 PM
I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5X55. I really like this rifle for hunting whitetail deer. You might try Reloder 19 powder. I have used it over Nosler 140 grain Partitions with good results. I especially like it with 125 grain Partitions. Pure poison on whitetails. The Nosler #5 manual has good data on the Swede.

Jaywalker
September 20, 2004, 09:53 AM
Not on the original topic, but that gunshow at Leesburg, Virginia, was the worst show I've ever attended. It could have been entitled "6 Men and a Table."

Jaywalker

mtnbkr
September 20, 2004, 10:47 AM
I agree. Sad, sad show.

I did pick up a pound of Varget at Loudoun Guns though. Loaded up a few rounds with it, IMR 4350, H4350, and another batch using a touch more RL22 than last time.

I'll take those to the NRA range and work further with the two best loads from that session.

I read something depressing in Layne Simpsons book on big game rifles. In the chapter on barrels, he mentions that the featherweight barrels (those around .5" muzzle diameter) generally don't do much better than MOA on a consistent basis. I'm finding that to be true with my gun. I can get my gun to group around half MOA, but not on a consistent basis. I'm normally in the .8" to 1.25" range.

Chris

NavajoNPaleFace
September 20, 2004, 11:13 AM
My one M96 likes a 140 grain Sierra HP BT Match bullet pushed with 37 grain of Hodgdon H414 powder with Winchester primers and OAL set at 3.050 " (+/- .005").

The other is partial for the 140 grain Speer Spitzer SP pushed with 38.5 grain of H414 powder, still using Winchester primers but with an OAL of this one of 3.025" (+/- .005").

I've used a mixture of Winchester and Remington new brass but I can't see any noticable difference in the brass.

disclaimer: use of any one else's loading data can be dangerous. Use data only in guns designed for such loads and in firearms that have been inspected and tested for safety.

Although I never post loads that are 'hot' or not within the limits of published data I will not assure safety and sucess in others' firearms and my load data is to be used only as a guideline for developing your own loads.

Use of my load data is used at your own risk and I assume no liabilities.

schromf
September 20, 2004, 11:27 AM
generally don't do much better than MOA on a consistent basis. I'm finding that to be true with my gun. I can get my gun to group around half MOA, but not on a consistent basis. I'm normally in the .8" to 1.25" range.

I have a new CZ in the 6.5x55 and it starts stringing when its hot. I have shot some .75 groups the secret is slow between the shoots and don't let the barrel heat up. take about 15-20 minutes to shoot a group and try it.

Check yours out the next time your at the range, your first shot is right on, the second real close, then the third starts opening up. The next two start vertical stringing. What I end up with the first two touching, the third opened up a little and the last two opening up the group nasty. The Hornandy light mags seem to make this worse, and I notice the barrel heating up quicker with these than the other (slower) ammo I have tried.

Pretty much all of the new factory hunting rifles have too light of a barrel contour for my liking, a #4-5 would be better, but it adds wieght so I guess that isn't going to happen. Its real common for the new guns to shoot reasonable groups of three shoots, but 5 shot groups are yuck. 3 shot wonders is the term I think.

I also concede that for hunting you aren't going to using any more than 1-2 shots anyway, its not like shooting from the bench where your shooting a lot more.

mtnbkr
September 20, 2004, 11:44 AM
I generally shoot two or three 3 shot groups and let it cool for a good 15 to 30 minutes depending on the ambient temperature and if I have other things to do. I don't get any stringing and my first shot on a cold, clean barrel is always exactly where I want it. Even when the groups are larger than ideal, they're nicely spaced and even.

Your CZ's barrel is likely heavier than my Featherweight's barrel. I'm shooting through a limp noodle. :)

Chris

schromf
September 20, 2004, 11:51 AM
So when your groups are opening up there is no pattern? Mine is consistant vertical to the right on the last three shots, but it will be the last two that blow the group.

If yours is doing groups that open it up on all points of the clock I bet skim bedding will tighten that up. Mine I know its the light barrel contour and nothing short of a new barrel is likely to correct it.

mtnbkr
September 20, 2004, 11:59 AM
I think you have it backwards. My large groups are larger versions of the tight groups I strive for. I have already skim bedded the rifle. That took care of the stringing I was experiencing (stringing is caused by pressure points pushing against the action or barrel during heating).

I generally get three shots into a triangle shaped group. My definition of stringing is multiple shots arranged in a straight line, either horizontal or vertical.

Chris

schromf
September 20, 2004, 12:55 PM
Yes thats exactly what mine is doing. A slightly vertical line, on a 7 O clock to 1 O clock axis. With the shots moving towards the 7 O clock as I get past the third shot. It shots just a tad over 1 MOA even on the five shot groups, I was just hoping for better out of a 6.5x55.

Wildalaska
September 20, 2004, 02:39 PM
Ive seen no probs with respect to temp sensativity in RL 22

Will let ya know fer sure when its -40:D

WildnanookAlaska

Jaywalker
September 20, 2004, 03:25 PM
Since I haven't been using RL22 long, I have no war stories about its temperature-related changes. The source for my comments was writer John Barsness, who commented on it twice (I think). The first referred to MV drops of up to 200 fps from the same load when the only difference was an ambient temperature drop from 70 degrees F to 30 degrees F. The second comment was to the effect that RL22 was particularly sensitive to temperature changes. Of their line, only RL15 is less temperature-sensitive, as it was developed for the military.

Two hundred fps equals a significant amount of powder, so it should make a real difference in groups, just by changing seasons. It seems to me that people who develop loads in Spring and Summer are asking for trouble if they plan to hunt in cooler weather, unless they use less temperature-sensitive powders. The other side holds true as well, with pressure increasing as ambient get warmer. Might want to consider dropping back a grain or two on max loads. I had a bad reaction with 4064 when shooting (actually "chambering") from a hot chamber, as the cartridge absorbs heat from a hot action/barrel.

I suspect that this absorption of heat from the chamber is as least as likely the reason for warm-barrel groups opening up as wood-metal contact, particularly when the barrel and action have been bedded.

Jaywalker

JNewell
September 20, 2004, 03:33 PM
he mentions that the featherweight barrels (those around .5" muzzle diameter) generally don't do much better than MOA on a consistent basis

I have been experimenting this year with a Win 70 Compact (which has a shortened FW barrel) and an old Ruger M77 flatbolt, both in .243.

Both perform as quoted above :rolleyes:

Both seem to perform better with a pressure pad in the forend (have reinstalled one and am probably going to do the same with the other).

riddleofsteel
September 20, 2004, 04:54 PM
I took my 700 Classic 6.5x55 and bedded the action and recoil lug when I first got it. The barrel had a pad in the forend as do most Remingtons. Groups were sub MOA to 1.5 MOA. Recently during a fit of maddness I removed the forend pad and free floated the barrel. My groups went to heck in a hand basket. I get three rounds in a clover leaf a dime will cover then two flyers out at one or eleven oclock. Then the next group may cover three inches in a big triangle. After some thought I have decide to engineer and install a forend shim to correct my mistake. This is one reason I decided to try new loads as everthing will be changing. I tried 47.5 grains of RL19 under a 129 grain Hornady Interlock this weekend. It really looked as though it was going to shoot well minus the flyers.
:banghead:

JNewell
September 20, 2004, 05:28 PM
There is a fabulous section in McPherson's book Accurizing the Factory Rifle that discusses how to do this with bedding epoxy and get a really nice, neat job...ask me how I know...:evil: :banghead:

riddleofsteel
September 20, 2004, 06:05 PM
I have tuned rifles with thin contour barrels before using plastic shims. I used to shoot with a guy that owned a Remington 40X rifle that had a screw in the forend with a hard plastic shoe that pushed on the barrel to adjust the tension. It worked real well to tune the groups. Makes me wonder if this would work.

http://www.rifle-accuracy.com/

I have thought about engineering something similar but this lloks pretty nice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who's got loads for the 6.5x55?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!