Kurt Russell - Great RKBA Quote

PDA

Airwolf
February 21, 2003, 08:20 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-kurt20.html

The article is mostly about his new move Dark Blue but there's this gem...

Russell recalls that he was filming in Puerto Rico when the real Los Angeles riots took place.

"Marty Short and I were laying in bed looking at the stuff," he says. "If you're going to watch the riots, do it with Marty Short. I'm a libertarian, which to some people is akin to being a Scientologist, so Marty and I had some interesting discussions.''

He adds, "We had some nice people on that set who were politically very liberal. And gun control was always a strong issue with them. Well, then the L.A. riots come and these same people are calling me asking, 'Do you have any guns?'

"And I said, 'I'd love to help you out, but they're all being used.' Those people, suddenly, really realized what it's like to be in that ghetto every day. It's just about survival. It's just about getting through the day. Any way you can do it, you do it. And suddenly that Second Amendment made some sense during that rough moment."

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Kurt Russell - Great RKBA Quote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol' Badger
February 21, 2003, 08:24 PM
what was Kurt and Marty doing in the same bed????????
:barf:

BigG
February 21, 2003, 08:32 PM
It sounded to me like they were on location filming and were sharing a hotel room. I don't think Kurt is that way if you know what I mean. :D ;)

Don Gwinn
February 21, 2003, 08:33 PM
Wow, I didn't know he felt that way. Interesting.

another48hrs
February 21, 2003, 08:34 PM
The bed thing wouldn't be so creepy if it weren't the fact that he called Martin Short, Marty.

Anyways, I like Kurt Russell movies. I've seen Big Trouble in Litte China and Tombstone a billion times and can't wait to go see Dark Blue.

Ted Bell
February 21, 2003, 08:36 PM
I just might plunk down my $7.50 and go see Mr. Russell's latest effort.

ElToro
February 21, 2003, 08:53 PM
anybody catch one of the promo pics with him holding a nice older M+P with half moon balde sight ?

Zundfolge
February 21, 2003, 08:53 PM
what was Kurt and Marty doing in the same bed????????

I figure if you're regularly doing Goldie Hawn then your heterosexuality is pretty darn secure :evil:

NewShooter78
February 21, 2003, 11:57 PM
I thought that was a pretty good article, and love the comments about RKBA. I think he's a pretty good actor, he just needs some better roles.

PS- I loved Big Trouble in Little China!

seeker_two
February 21, 2003, 11:57 PM
I just might plunk down my $7.50 and go see Mr. Russell's latest effort.

Just as long as it doesn't show him & Martin Short in the same bed...:what:

cratz2
February 22, 2003, 02:22 AM
I still think his remake of The Thing is a very under-rated horror/Sci Fi flick.

Glad to hear another one's on our side. That brings the total to, what? Four? :p

another48hrs
February 22, 2003, 02:33 AM
How can I forget that movie!!!! The Thing has got to be the only alien kill them off movies that does not seem like a rip off of Aliens. I remember watching that movie recently in class and couldn't stop thinking about the HK93 that Norwegian had in the beginning of the film, boy I've got a gun problem. I need help. :uhoh:

"Hey, Sweden! "

"They're not Swedish, Mac, they're Norwegians."

JMLV
February 22, 2003, 02:37 AM
Escape from NY, Now I need to get Escape from LA in DVD as well! Heck yes his new effert will be well worth seeing.
Has anybody else done a better Whyat Earp? (TOOMSTONE another all time favorite western) "Tell-em I comin, AND HELLS COMING WITH ME!" Great movie quote!

Justin
February 22, 2003, 02:46 AM
Kurt Russel has done some really cool movies. (Though the best ones were with director John Carpenter: The Thing, Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China.)

Tady45
February 22, 2003, 11:29 AM
The last Kurt Russel movie with Kevin Costner (as Elvis impersonators) was an awesome full auto extravaganza..:D Much better film than I thought it would be. Dark Blue is about the trigger happy members of the LAPD SIS unit.

Larry

Beav
February 22, 2003, 04:30 PM
Can't forget Executive Decision. Any movie that does away with Seagal in the first 15 minutes is worth mention. :)

Sean Smith
February 22, 2003, 05:17 PM
Good to hear Kurt is one of the "good guys" in real life. And "The Thing - Collector's Edition" DVD totally rocks.

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/rocker.gif

FPrice
February 22, 2003, 05:33 PM
"The Thing has got to be the only alien kill them off movies that does not seem like a rip off of Aliens."

Actually this was a re-make of a 1949 movie, "The Thing (From Another World)". The plot is roughly the same, but the monster (James Arness as a QUOTE "7-foot tall carrot" UNQUOTE) was not a shape-changer, merely a blood-thirsty humanoid. He was more like a plant than a mammal. Pretty good for it's time.

MountainPeak
February 22, 2003, 06:31 PM
Happy to read the Russel quote. My memory of the riots are about a phone call to my liberal older brother in L.A.. He had over the years become very anti-gun. He told me that after the riots spread, he had retrieved a 357m from a storage facility. I told him he was being a hypocrite viewing his gun stance of recent years! He just laughed and said, "yea, but I'm not a stupid one". He died in 1999, but I never let him forget his "run for the gun"!!

Noban
February 22, 2003, 07:38 PM
Russel is OK in my book. Saw a profile show on him a year or two ago and he was carrying his rifle, preparing for a hunt. He's the real deal.

Mastrogiacomo
February 22, 2003, 07:48 PM
Good to hear there are some celebs out there that use firearms in movies and don't back stab gun owners off camera. Never understood why if you're anti -- it's OK to profit off a film where you use guns, but it's not OK for responsible citizens to keep their firearms. It seems to me if you're against guns to begin with -- stick to romance and leave the action films to others who aren't as conflicted.

Speaking of Kurt, I'm holding out for the collector's edition of Escape from New York. It's campy, but one of my favoriate!:D

VaughnT
February 22, 2003, 08:52 PM
Good news, indeed!

Big Trouble in Little China was a classic and I enjoy watching it whenever it comes on TBS. But, let's not forget The Soldier, where Kurt plays a futuristic soldier, almost an automaton, ditched on a scrap planet inhabited by stranded colonists. There were some great fight scenes in that.

hansolo
February 22, 2003, 11:17 PM
"Remember "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes"? One of K.R.'s Disney roles. BTW, "The Thing" remake is one of my fave Sci-Fi!
It's great that WE have a few H'wierd types Pro-2nd!

K.R. Pro's: Married to beautiful Goldie Hawn, Pro 2nd, good actor.
K.R. Cons: He's too good looking(and I am as hetero as HE is!).
...regarding he and M. Short "bed" situation: I'm sure they were at least arm's length apart...Kurt was probably just giving Martin a back rub....ONLY JOKING!

waterdog
February 22, 2003, 11:55 PM
I have enjoyed most of his work. He is an under rated actor, and does well with any movie project he is in.

The movie he made with Martin Short (it slips my mind)is an excellent indication of his versatility .

waterdog

boing
February 23, 2003, 12:32 AM
'I'd love to help you out, but they're all being used.'

"Why do you need so many guns...you only have two hands...?"

No matter how many guns I have, I'm always using all of them. All the time. :D

sixgun_symphony
February 23, 2003, 01:40 AM
The thing that I did not like about "Escape From New York" was that they took the handguards off the M-16 rifles. It looked cheesy.

If they wanted to have weapons that would look unfamiliar to much of the audience, they could have used AR-180 rifles or some HK 91 rifles. I think somebody was making a shotgun in bullpup configuration back then, which would have looked futuristic to audiences in 1979. Heck, they could have just left the handguards on the M-16 rifles.

Anyway, I hope to see Kurt Russel in some more westerns. Lawman for sure.

Blackhawk
February 23, 2003, 02:05 AM
Great RKBA Quote.

Yep.

Cosmoline
February 23, 2003, 02:18 AM
Kurt Russel is one of the few actors you could actually have a brewskie with. He doesn't suffer from an inflated ego, if the commentary to The Thing is any measure.

I liked his description of getting Hyderized ;) If he retires up here in AK, he'll fit right in.

MAKOwner
February 23, 2003, 04:35 AM
I believe I saw on a biography special or something that Kurt is very pro-gun, and organized some celebrity hunts for charity or something out there in Kali in the late 80s I want to say. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Donate the meat to the homeless kinda thing. After a couple years of it they quit due to hippy liberal bastards just hounding them to no end about killing helpless animals or some such nonsense. Seems like a real standup guy.

hansolo
February 23, 2003, 01:12 PM
Reply to post: Kurt Russell's donating hunted meat to poor people for food and "... liberals...harassing him", so he stopped.:banghead:

I wonder if these hypocrite liberals would criticise the Native American's hunting of buffalo, deer, elk, squirels, etc. :cuss:

Idiots:rolleyes:

Baba Louie
February 23, 2003, 02:23 PM
Waterdog,

Captain Ron... hilarious

Stargate, Overboard, (What was the one he did with Mel Gibson, he played a cop to Mel's drug dealing...had M. Pfiefer in it too)... aw heck, just about all of his movies are worth a watch or two.

Several are definitely worth owning.

Good acting, Montana rancher, Goldie...

Adios

John Harrison
February 23, 2003, 04:30 PM
Actually this was a re-make of a 1949 movie, "The Thing (From Another World)". The plot is roughly the same, but the monster (James Arness as a QUOTE "7-foot tall carrot" UNQUOTE) was not a shape-changer, merely a blood-thirsty humanoid. He was more like a plant than a mammal. Pretty good for it's time.

Actually the Carpenter version was much closer to the source work than the first movie. It was based on the short story by John W. Campbell titled "Who Goes There?" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0899667341/qid=1046031774/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-6093454-4404109?v=glance&s=books&n=507846), and it was written in 1938.

Rod M
February 23, 2003, 06:28 PM
I grew up watching the Disney movies with Kurt Russell in them, and I can't think of a single movie he's done that I don't like. Backdraft was one of the great ones.
Rod M

Bainx
February 23, 2003, 06:37 PM
you have got to be kidding me!

"PS- I loved Big Trouble in Little China!"

this dribble has GOT To BE the WORST piece of film I and the wife have ever seen!!!

:mad:

Kahr carrier
February 23, 2003, 07:02 PM
Its Cool that Kurt Russell thinks that way ,Nice quote.:)

Matt G
February 23, 2003, 07:03 PM
If you ever want to see a movie that will make you, as a gun owner, bang your head repeatedly against the nearest solid object, [:banghead:] see Breakdown (1997, Kathleen Quinlan, J.T. Walsh). See!: A couple driving cross-country through the desert, unarmed. See!: That same couple depend on the kindness of strangers, and get bitten for it. See!: Kurt Russell's character on two or more occasions rely on the bad guy's firearms, and NOT USE THEM when they're needed to save his and his wife's lives.

If Kurt Russell is of the RKBA persuasion, he may very well have been trying to send a message with the ludicrous actions of his character in this movie.

FPrice
February 23, 2003, 10:22 PM
" Actually the Carpenter version was much closer to the source work than the first movie. It was based on the short story by John W. Campbell titled "Who Goes There?", and it was written in 1938."

You are correct. Except for the description of McReady. Don't sound like no Kust Russell I ever saw! :D

But thinks for the reference, I'll have to pick it up and read it.

D.W. Drang
February 24, 2003, 03:51 AM
I believe I saw on a biography special or something that Kurt is very pro-gun, and organized some celebrity hunts for charity or something out there in Kali in the late 80s I want to say. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Donate the meat to the homeless kinda thing. After a couple years of it they quit due to hippy liberal bastards just hounding them to no end about killing helpless animals or some such nonsense. I saw in an interview somewhere or other that Kurt Russel said that his career suffered for this, that he was actually blackballed for trying to organize these things! :cuss: :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Kurt Russell - Great RKBA Quote" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!