Arrghh! Rust!

PDA

Trebor
September 15, 2004, 02:09 PM
I just found some rust on one of my CZ-75 mags. The bad news is it's one of my older Mec Gar mags that works in my "Pre-B" CZ 75. The new mags won't fit the older gun, so I have to save this mag.

The rust is on the mag body and especially on the floorplate. I may sacrifice a floorplate off a different mag if need be, but I need that mag body. It's still mainly surface rust, but there is some pitting.

I'm usually pretty good about wiping down all the mags and guns after a range session, but this one must have slipped through. And, I know we had a light rain the last time I shot this gun.

What's going to be the best way to remove the rust and restore the mag. I don't have any extra cash for a reblue or hard chrome right now. Should I just go at it with steel wool and some gun oil? Or what?

In the meantime I coated the mag in FP 10 to put it in stasis while I figure out what to do.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arrghh! Rust!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
September 15, 2004, 02:33 PM
4 aught ( 0000) steel wool and oil should remove the rust.

On mags to prevent rust I use A good car wax with Carnuba in it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arrghh! Rust!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!