18 Years of Lead??

PDA

Sulaco
September 15, 2004, 02:59 PM
I am pretty sure the 10/22 I just picked up has never been cleaned. In fact, I think the prior owner stored the gun in a pond. Anyway, I can hardly see the rifling for the lead buildup. What is the best way to get this crap out?

http://home.sc.rr.com/verbatimspics/1022f.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "18 Years of Lead??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
September 15, 2004, 03:25 PM
Time to start scrubbing unless you have access to an Outers Foul-Out or whatever that gizmo is called.

I've always wondered what a 10/22 barrel looked like after being used for a tomato stake and now I think I know.

John

Sulaco
September 15, 2004, 03:54 PM
Hehe, there's no telling what this thing was used for. It has some pretty deep pitting on the outside of the barrel. Luckily the almost two decades of neglect spared the bore from rust, as funny as that sounds.

I remember reading somewhere that someone did something to push out actual chunks of lead, but I can't recall what was used.

Oh well, I guess some Butch's Bore Shine and JB paste on a phosphor bronze brush will have to do for now.

rbernie
September 15, 2004, 03:59 PM
Try using mercury - I hear that it's the best way to remove really bad leading.

mtnbkr
September 15, 2004, 04:05 PM
Get a new barrel. It's easy to swap out. Heck, I have a lightly used 10/22 barrel sans sights I'll sell ya for $20 plus shipping. It's sitting in my safe. I put maybe 200rnds through it before I swapped barrels.

Chris

NavajoNPaleFace
September 15, 2004, 04:22 PM
Unless you want a 'fun-but-a-pain-in-the-arse-gonna-cuss-a-lot-probably-gonna-cost-far-more-than-it's-worth' project....junk it.

From what I can visualize from the attached photo museum currators and restorers would'nt give that gun a second though, lol.

If you intend to go through with it...scrub...scrub...scrub. I'd try JB's Bore Scrubber or Hoppes Lead Remover. Then again.......maybe a long soak in the land fill might do the trick, lol.

BTW....anyone that would treat a rifle that badly or allow a gun to get in that condition needs their butt biotch slapped...yepper..........and that's fer sure!

Frohickey
September 15, 2004, 04:29 PM
Lewis Lead Remover (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7777&title=LEWIS+LEAD+REMOVER)

Mechanical way of removing lead. Its a rod and a woven brass patch.

critter
September 15, 2004, 05:21 PM
Go to the grocery store and buy a COPPER 'Chore Girl' scrubbing pad. Place strands of it around the cleaning brush and go to it.

Cheap, easy, effictive!

sm
September 15, 2004, 05:39 PM
Agree with Lewis Lead Remover or the Chore Boy. Going to require a mechanical means - not chemical to remove.

Don't be surprised if that bore comes out okay. The outside - 0000steel wool and machine oil....

One example a Nylon 66, kept in a barn for years ...forgotton about, bore cleaned up fine with LLR , the exterior cleaned up okay. Fellow thought about a spray on finish...nah - grandpa used it / kept it in the barn for a reason - still doing that duty today....it hits where aimed- everytime with iron sights...

If you enjoyed reading about "18 Years of Lead??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!