OK, what the heck is Kroil?

PDA

Richard.Howe
September 15, 2004, 08:58 PM
Just got suckered into buying three containers full of Kroil from Midway. Folks swear by the stuff...but how do YOU use it?

What's it great at?

Thanks all!
Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, what the heck is Kroil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gaston_45
September 15, 2004, 09:20 PM
If wd-40 can do it, kroil can do it better. That pretty much sums it up I guess. That stuff is great, frees rusted things better then anything else I have found. It is also one of the main ingredients in Ed's Red bore cleaner recipes if I remember right. I use it for bore cleaning if/when I clean the bore(only if it got wet somehow).

Hal
September 15, 2004, 09:44 PM
OK, what the heck is Kroil?
According to the MSDS for Kroil:
1.) Crude oil (Petroleum Base Oil )
2.) Naptha
3.) Mineral Spirits (Aliphatic Petroleum Distillate)

Toss a little pure gum spirits of Turps in there and you'd have a real dandy furniture cleaner.

TimH
September 15, 2004, 09:57 PM
Just got suckered into buying three containers full of Kroil from Midway. Folks swear by the stuff...but how do YOU use it?

You won't regret it. Its everything Gaston_45 says and more. I've been using it for years to loosen bolts & such. You can check out their other products here:

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Ukraine Train
September 15, 2004, 10:08 PM
I don't think it's quite like WD40 because it's not a lubricant, but it IS an awesome penetrant for breaking stuck nuts/bolts loose. We use it at work.

Double Naught Spy
September 15, 2004, 10:12 PM
Kroil is a penetrating oil, like WD40, and also like WD40 it isn't really a good lube. WD40 has some other traits, but Kroil seems to do more as a very light oil more so than a water displacer. Like other light oils, is spreads outs quickly and dissipates quickly compared to heavier oils.

fletcher
September 15, 2004, 10:30 PM
it IS an awesome penetrant for breaking stuck nuts/bolts loose.

Ditto. Whenever I have to work on my car ('83) there are always a few bolts stuck - spray some Kroil on there, wait a minute, and usually good to go.

Richard.Howe
September 15, 2004, 11:10 PM
So...limited applications on firearms, but good in general for water displacement and rusty fasteners.

Thanks!

Mal H
September 15, 2004, 11:17 PM
It goes great with Shooter's Choice bore cleaner. I have been using it mixed in with SC at a rate of about 1:16. Adds a little penetrating power to the cleaner.

It is considerably better than WD-40 for what it is designed to do - penetrate stuck metal and rusted parts. PB Blaster is better at that though.

jem375
September 15, 2004, 11:55 PM
I use Kroil Oil straight up along with Butch's Bore Shine and Motana Xtreme...It is one of the best for cleaning firearms....it is a penetrating oil but also can be used as a cleaning solvent for your firearms.........I wouldn't be without it.........

Stickjockey
September 16, 2004, 12:29 AM
Kroil=penetrating oil that makes WD-40 look like molasses.

swingset
September 16, 2004, 04:52 AM
So...limited applications on firearms, but good in general for water displacement and rusty fasteners.

WRONG!

It has tremendous use on firearms. Not only does it break free stuck metal, but it's a superb bore cleaner (yes, bore cleaner). Especially against lead fouling. Benchrest small bore & muzzleloader folks have been using it for years, and swear by it.

I used some to break in a match gun, and it's amazing how after you use it a while to clean a rifle, it doesn't foul up as much. With bench resting, it's a very tangible and easily noticed thing, so you definately see it in action.

Also, it's a good penetrant oil for tight places where you need lube but breakdown is difficult (firing pins, channels, trigger bearing surfaces. Drip a few drops in, hit it with compressed air, whala.

GREAT stuff.

Dave Markowitz
September 16, 2004, 07:58 AM
It is also one of the main ingredients in Ed's Red bore cleaner recipes if I remember right.

Actually, Ed's Red is equal parts:

--Automatic transmission fluid
--Kerosene
--Odorless mineral spirits (AKA Stoddard Solvent)
--Acetone

An optional component is anhydrous lanolin, for additional rust protection (and softening your hands while you clean your gun :D ). ER is great stuff and you can mix up a gallon for about $10, if you leave out the lanolin.

Full details here: http://www.building-tux.com/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

I first tried Kroil last year and it's great stuff. As noted, it's about the best penetrating oil out there and makes a very good bore cleaner. I also used it to lubricate the padlock on my shed a few months ago when it started getting sticky due to all the rain we've been having. It's been smooth ever since.

Mikul
September 16, 2004, 01:21 PM
I use it to clean all of my guns. It cleans better than Butch's Bore Shine and smells a LOT better. It cleans all of the bullet lube off my feed ramp in a flash. It has also gotten my bores cleaner in half the time it would take with anything else.

OldStar
September 16, 2004, 01:33 PM
I assusme that everyone realizes that Kroil, like WD-40, should be totally removed from any firearm it is used on before putting the gun back into service.

Both are penetrating oils, not lubricants. That means that if they get an opportunity to come in contact with cartridges there is a very real danger that they will seep into the cartridge, particularly through the primer pocket, and degrade or destroy the primer.

That may be O.K. for sports shooters, but very, very bad for personal protection weapons.

(You've used it for years and never had a problem? O.K., bet your life that it will never happen in the future.)

mwithers72
September 16, 2004, 02:08 PM
Kroil is great but lets not forget that the folks over at Kanolabs.com have other specially designed products to fit any need you have. This I know first hand!!

mark

WalkerTexasRanger
September 16, 2004, 02:10 PM
Kroil and JB is also the preferred cleaner to remove moly from a barrel. Many HP shooters use the combo to clean out bores after shooting moly bullets.

I love the stuff, and would agree that it cuts cleaning significantly. Run through the bore and let sit for a few minutes, the copper and lead comes right out. The suff really kreeps....

WTR

TNrifleman
September 16, 2004, 02:19 PM
Kroli is one of my favorite bore cleaners. I have used it for years and would not want to be without a can or two around.

Detachment Charlie
September 16, 2004, 03:50 PM
Kroil is truly "magic juice" as a penatrant and also bore cleaner -- just get it all out.

But the mentions of PB reminded me of the best part of this product -- the label. Several yeras ago I counted the number of adjetives used on the label. I came up with something around 150...amazing. I gotta get a life.:rolleyes:

Iron Mike
September 16, 2004, 08:10 PM
Kroil is great stuff. I'm a mechanic at a large drug company and we use it to clean really nasty gunked up parts.We order it by the case so we have enough to bring home for the important stuff.
Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "OK, what the heck is Kroil?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!