Is this a good deal for a garand?

PDA

Darkmind
September 16, 2004, 01:20 PM
Just wondering, owner said it needs to be rebarreled though.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976503421.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a good deal for a garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3 gun
September 16, 2004, 02:03 PM
I'd say no. You can get a CMP Garand rack grade for as low as $295. It won't need to be rebarreled and has the backing of the CMP. If it isn't right when you get it they will make it right.

Trebor
September 16, 2004, 02:09 PM
It's not a particularly bad price, but it's not a particularly good price either. If it didn't need rebarreling it would be a steal, but the cost of getting a barrel and having someone put it on makes it not great.

I highly reccomend gettig a U.S. Service Grade through the CMP instead. You'll pay about $550, but you'll get a much nicer gun.

www.odcmp.com

Swampy
September 17, 2004, 06:54 AM
3gun wrote:

You can get a CMP Garand rack grade for as low as $295. It won't need to be rebarreled and has the backing of the CMP. If it isn't right when you get it they will make it right.

You are correct that the CMP will make right anything that does not meet spec.... HOWEVER, a Rack Grade, by CMP's own definition, is a rifle that CAN have a sub-par barrel. Rack Grades may come with a TE of between 5 and 10 and a MW greater than 3.

I've seen Rack Grades with MW of 6 and higher. No meaningful accuracy can be had with a MW of 5 or more. Toast...... re-barrel it.

This is not to say that all Rack Grades are like this...... quite the contrary, BUT the risk that you can get a bad barrel on a Rack Grade is very real. If that happens you are going to have to re-tube anyway.

For an M1 with a GUARANTEED good barrel, go with the Service Grade. SG's are spec'd to have a TE of 5 or less AND a MW of less than 3. Good shooting tubes.

YOu pays your money and takes your chances...... with Rack Grades. :D

Just my thoughts,

Best to all,
Swampy
Owner of MANY CMP M1's

Garands forever

noonanda
September 17, 2004, 09:08 AM
Get a Sevice grade Springfield armory M-1 garand from the CMP. You will pay $525 to your front door, no need to go through a dealer. They will have a a ME and TE of less than 3, and are great shooters. and If there is a problem with it, give them a call if it is a problem that they should have caught, they will replace it with another one. This is the best way to get one, my garand is proof.
if you follow my link in my signature you will see what it looks like

Darkmind
September 17, 2004, 09:11 AM
What does this mean to me?

Note: IHC AND WRA M1 GARAND WAITING LISTS CLOSED. There are currently over 1,500 names on the waiting list for IHC and WRA M1 Garands. Customers who very recently submitted their orders can expect a one to two year waiting period. Because of the expected long waiting period, CMP will discontinue accepting orders for these options until the backlog has been eliminated.:scrutiny:

noonanda
September 17, 2004, 09:28 AM
Then the question is do you want a shooter or a collectors piece? A S.A. service grade is a great shooter, and does have collectability. A IHC or HRA has more collectability and less history. My SA garand was made in Feb of 1945, may have gotten to the south pacific, and then was rebarreled in october of 1952 so it probably went to Korea

deacon
September 17, 2004, 09:32 AM
Darkmind,

Do you live in Grand Rapids?...If so you are within a couple hours of driving time to actually visit the CMP north store and hand pick your rifle. Last time I was there I got a RG SA that had a muzzle reading if 1 and TE of 2. It was tagged a RG because of the bore lookng dirty but upon cleaning it is like new. The staff at the store actually pointed this one out to me and were a big help. I would highly reccomend the trip and would almost bet it won't be your last !

GLOCKT
September 17, 2004, 10:22 PM
Waiting list for IHC (International Harvestor) or WRA (Winchester) M1 Garands 1 to 2 years long.

Darkmind
September 17, 2004, 11:30 PM
Deacon, where is the north store? I mite just half to make a trip down sometime soon. This means if anybody else in my area would like to go with me or give me a check or money order writen to CMP so i could pick up a M1 for ya.

What ya think?

Good idea or bad.

Trebor
September 18, 2004, 12:50 AM
Deacon, where is the north store? I mite just half to make a trip down sometime soon. This means if anybody else in my area would like to go with me or give me a check or money order writen to CMP so i could pick up a M1 for ya.

What ya think?

Good idea or bad.

Bad idea. It would be fine to car pool done to the CMP store, but don't try to buy a rifle for someone else while you are there. I'm sure the CMP wouldn't let you fill out the paperwork in your name and then give them a check made out by someone else. That's awfully close to a straw purchase. The actual purchaser needs to be present so they can run the NICS check.

Btw, the CMP North store is at Camp Perry in Ohio. Go to www.odcmp.com for more info.

Rob

(P.S. I have a Winchester M-1 Garand FS if anyone's interested... PM me)

Sunray
September 18, 2004, 01:08 AM
Darkmind, your CMP is the best government sponsored program in the world. Hoops? Yes, but those hoops involve shooting. Shoot the matches, even if you don't have to. You'll meet the best people you ever will meet. And if you look at the QC, you wouldn't think twice about buying from your CMP. Buy a shooter. Shoot an M-1 once and you'll wonder why you didn't have one long ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this a good deal for a garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!