Yugo SKS question

PDA

seeker_two
September 17, 2004, 07:10 AM
At a gun show the other day, I overheard someone talking about his new Yugo SKS. He was impressed with its workmanship & reliability.

One thing he mentioned caught my attention. He said that, when he closed the gas cutoff on the grenade launcher, his group sizes shrunk to about half their normal size while maintaining the same point of aim. His thought was that the lack of bolt movement was the biggest factor in improving accuracy.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo SKS question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mhdishere
September 17, 2004, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't doing that turn the SKS into a manual repeater? Meaning the action wouldn't cycle anymore, you'd have to cycle the bolt manually.

No4Mk1
September 17, 2004, 11:29 AM
That's right, mhdshere.

I haven't shot a significnat number of rounds this way to make comparison, but I may give it a try.

seeker_two
September 17, 2004, 01:40 PM
mhdishere: It would do that. However, there could be some advantages...

Imagine going from a 4" grouper that can lay down lead quickly to a 1.5-2" "Designated Marksman/Sharpshooter" rifle w/ the flip of a switch.... :cool:

No4Mk1: Let me know how it turns out. It may determine my next rifle purchase... :D

Bridger
September 18, 2004, 02:04 AM
I was thinking something similar earlier today. I'll have to try it! Would there be a velocity boost too?

S_O_Laban
September 18, 2004, 02:10 AM
Hmm... interesting. Just one more reason to find some time to get the two Yugos I have out of cosmoline.

joab
September 18, 2004, 02:11 AM
I have a Yugo that I just don't like. the barrel is just too long and ungainly.
I was going to put one of those fake dragunov type stocks and make it a sniper/prairiedog rifle, even though we have no prarie dogs here . But the lack of accuracy made this a cost prohibitive exercise.
If I can improve accuracy by simply turn it into a straight pull bolt action type of gun it may well be worth the couple of hundred dollars to make it something I would like

Riphalman
September 18, 2004, 08:13 AM
You could use your Yugo as a manually operated repeater, but what's the point? The bullet has already departed the weapon before the bolt unlocks. I've tested my own rifle in this way and found no appreciable difference in accuracy. All in all, the Yugo SKS is very accurate compared with other rifles in it's class.

DMK
September 18, 2004, 09:15 AM
I tried it on both my "shooter grade" Yugos and it didn't make much difference at all. I probably should try it on my pristine "unissued" Yugo though since it's inherently a bit more accurate than the others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo SKS question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!