What do you feed your Kimber?

PDA

Timothy
September 17, 2004, 10:31 AM
Realizing that many factors peculiar to individual pistols of the same caliber affect bullet performance and accuracy, I am directing this question to those who load for a 45ACP SS Kimber Compact. I am well aware that performance between pistols of the same manufacturer and model can vary significantly but this way I can , at least to some extent, compare apples to apples.
Currently, I’m using several recipes, some good... some not so good. What I want to do is sort of start over using your expertise and experience if you would be so kind. I’m not looking for stand-alone features such as velocity, recoil, or stopping power, etc. ...just accuracy.
Your thoughts on bullet style and weight, powder charge, OAL, and any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If it works good in yours, it might just work good in mine.

Thanks in advance

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you feed your Kimber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bacchus
September 17, 2004, 10:54 AM
Your question might be a little too narrow to receive replies, so I'll give you some general info about reloading 45. I stick to 230 grain FMJ bullets, as I've had trouble with the crimp on the hollow points and they require more powder anyway (at least the 185s do). I reload to duplicate hardball--no more, no less, just so that I can practice for cheap. I use Winchester or Remington bulk bullets, although I recently ordered some made by MagTech that I really like that are a little cheaper. I stick with medium charges of Unique, as it's clean and meters well for me. I don't separate by headstamp and usually pick up more 45 brass than I shoot, so I just use them until I lose them or they split.

oldschool
September 21, 2004, 05:15 PM
Funny you should ask that question. I happen to do a lot of it.

The only powder I have tried so far is Win231 and WinLP primers and any brass. Most of my loads are above minimum in Winchesters book but some are hot if you are unsure don’t load it.
Here goes;
Lightest thing I regularly load is 200gr SWC lead;
Anything from 4.5 to 6.1 grs {hot load but showed no pressure signs} of Win231 important point with mine was to load to OAL 1.24”
6.1grs made a lot of noise but had trouble pushing over bowling pins :what: . 4.5 or 5.0 grs are great for Steel plates, plinking & IDPA. The slide should cycle with 4.0 or 4.3grs and are very comfortable to shoot.
225gr RNFP lead;
5.8 grs of Win231 set to OAL of 1.20” is a great pin load. Back the same load back down to 4.5 or 5.0grs and again another great plinking load or steel or IDPA etc.
250gr RNFP lead;
I loaded a range of rounds from 4.0 to 5.3grs OAL of again 1.20”. 5.0 and up had a lot of flash & un-burnt powder. 4.0 to 4.9grs are very mild and I used them in Steel plates and IDPA.

Biggest thing if you are going to reload lead is to keep your chamber cleaned out or you will get mis-feeds. I keep a boresnake in my bag when I’m shooting a lot of lead.

The bull barrel on that cannon can take a lot of abuse, don’t get overconfident and push your luck I keep my Win231 loads between 4.0 and 6.0 grs and should be reasonably safe with any lead round check your load data and then re-verify with another source. That barrel only looses 3/4ths of an inch over a standard barrel so I usually knock of between 30 and 80 fps from load data specifying a 5” barrel. I don’t own a chronograph.
I’m still learning how to be accurate which is why I started reloading but I have no trouble hitting an IDPA target at 20 yards with any of there loads.
That’s pretty much all of the loads I’ve tried so far. So lets keep a running dialogue going on the subject.
Ray

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you feed your Kimber?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!