Is this legal?

PDA

Ukraine Train
September 17, 2004, 03:18 PM
Well, the engineering gerbil in my head got on his wheel again. What I'm picturing is a small motor attached to a trigger guard that moves a lever back and forth, which in turn presses on the trigger. You can adjust the speed of the motor and technically have a full auto gun with the press of a button. This probably isn't very practical as you would need a hi-amp power source and possibly a strong motor, depending on what kind of trigger pull is on the gun. It would probably be bulky also but I think it would be a fun project. Legal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Darkmind
September 17, 2004, 03:19 PM
I would think so.

fletcher
September 17, 2004, 03:23 PM
I don't think so, if I read that correctly. I think the ATF would consider something like that a machine gun.

cslinger
September 17, 2004, 03:29 PM
Nope I don't believe the ATF would like this one bit.

Basically you are technically firing multiple rounds but the actuation of one switch, namely the button to the motor.

This is very much like a Gatling gun argument where it is legal as long as you are hand cranking said device but as soon as you attach a motor to said crank it becomes a machine gun because of the one action actuates multiple firing.

Basically if it sounds fun the ATF will find it is illegal.

Chris

sendec
September 17, 2004, 03:39 PM
As long as the gerbil stays in your head and nowhere else

:uhoh:

No, nice try, but no. But dont take my word for it, I built a rocket launcher as a kid, so follow your dream:D

Sindawe
September 17, 2004, 03:42 PM
How about if ya linked the mechanism described, but instead of being set into motion with the press of a button, it would only activate when the user shouted BANG!, and only once on each utterance of the word 'Bang'? Add some smarts and a data buffer so the item could tally each utterance of the word 'Bang' and activated appropiratly. IE:

BANG! = one discharge of the weapon

BANG! BANG! = double tap

The user still has to take an active role in firing the weapon, here by saying a distinct word for each shot, rather than a distinct finger movement for each shot. Granted such would not be a very safe item, but like the nice Russian said...

"Is gun. Is not safe." :)

Darkmind
September 17, 2004, 03:43 PM
well i was @$$backwords.:p

Sindawe
September 17, 2004, 03:56 PM
You're sick man sendec, sick I say! Don't you know The Tale of Lemmiwinks?

http://homepage.mac.com/sthompson/iMovieTheater13.html

Gunstar1
September 17, 2004, 04:08 PM
I can't find a link for it but I have seen a legal device that clamps onto the trigger guard and with 1 short turn of the crank a little mechanism will push the trigger 4 times.

Looks like you turn your gun into a fishing reel and with each turn of the "reel" the gun shoots 4 times.

TallPine
September 17, 2004, 04:20 PM
How about a connecting device between the gerbil wheel and the trigger ...? :D

Probably there's some sort of law about not using more than 10 gerbils :p

Graystar
September 17, 2004, 05:17 PM
I can't find a link for it but I have seen a legal device that clamps onto the trigger guard and with 1 short turn of the crank a little mechanism will push the trigger 4 times. That's the BMI Gatling Gun kit for 2 Ruger 10/22s and yes, it's legal.

Standing Wolf
September 17, 2004, 10:18 PM
Basically if it sounds fun the ATF will find it is illegal.

With all due respect to Agent Schmuckatelli, as I read the Second Amendment, the B.A.T.F.E. is illegal.

CleverNickname
September 17, 2004, 11:47 PM
The BATF will consider the button/switch that controls the motor to be the new trigger. As pressing that button produces more than one shot per press, it's a machinegun.

Hand-cranked Gatling guns or trigger attachements are ok, because they're manually cranked. Just don't attach a motor.

angrywalkindude
September 18, 2004, 01:06 AM
Think about this.

Let's say you build a trigger that would fire a 10 round burst.

And to keep it within the law of the one shot per trigger pull, you would have to pull the trigger 10 times in order for the gun to fire.

The first 9 trigger pulls would not do anything, but the tenth pull would fire off 10 consecutive rounds.:confused:

Tamara
September 18, 2004, 01:17 AM
CleverNickname is correct.

CleverNickname
September 18, 2004, 02:16 PM
The first 9 trigger pulls would not do anything, but the tenth pull would fire off 10 consecutive rounds

I don't think this would fly either. How would it be different from a 'normal' machinegun that was just very unreliable?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is this legal?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!