Cheapest fun and dependable autoloader rifle?

PDA

cidirkona
September 17, 2004, 05:52 PM
I would have to say SKS -- I love mine!

-Colin

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest fun and dependable autoloader rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GD
September 17, 2004, 06:10 PM
Can't beat an SKS with respect to inexpensive and fun. Still, there are inexpensive semiautomatics in other calibres. Should be able to find a semiauto 9mm rifle under $200 or a 8mm Hakim for under $325. Ammo is cheap and plentiful for all of them.

Preacherman
September 17, 2004, 10:24 PM
Actually, you can beat a (high-quality) SKS for cheap and fun... check out the Saiga 7.62x39 carbines. Street prices around here are in the $160-$170 bracket, and ammo is dirt cheap.

Nathanael_Greene
September 17, 2004, 10:30 PM
I'd say an SKS, but I'm sure a Saiga is nearly as much fun.

rbernie
September 17, 2004, 10:55 PM
The Saiga's are nice, but they are much more muzzle-heavy than the SKS and aren't nearly as handy to lug around or to try to use quickly.

Little Loudmouth
September 17, 2004, 10:57 PM
Ruger 10/22.

seeker_two
September 17, 2004, 11:00 PM
10/22 or 597...

One brick of .22lr buys a happy afternoon... :D

4v50 Gary
September 18, 2004, 01:09 AM
Big bore = SKS. Rimfire = 10/22. Youse guys are both right. :)

Sunray
September 18, 2004, 02:10 AM
M-1 Carbine. My old Plainfield will shoot circles around an SKS.

Redlg155
September 18, 2004, 02:45 AM
I like my SKS for that role.

Definitely not as cheap as a good ol 10-22, but then the 10-22 just can't make the dirt fly like a 7.62 x 39. Plus there is something satisfying about a bit of recoil against your shoulder.

Good Shooting
Red

DMK
September 18, 2004, 09:11 AM
Not only is the SKS one of the cheapest to buy ($100-$150 for a Yugo or even a chrome lined Norinco if you're a patient shopper), but it's probably the cheapest centerfire rifle to shoot. Plus it's super easy to clean and maintain.

13A
September 18, 2004, 10:19 PM
I liked my Yugo so much that I got another one.

I'd kick myself later when they dry up if I didn't.

They will dry up you know.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
September 19, 2004, 02:40 PM
M-1 carbines are a lot of fun, but they usually aren't particularly cheap.

I would agree that am SKS=inexpensive fun.

But an SKS+Fibreforce Dragunov stock=even MORE fun. The Dragunov-styled stock looks cool in that EBR-kinda way, flexes some to absorb some of that sharp-ish wooden-stock recoil, and most of all changes the proportions of the stock and handgrip DRASTICALLY. This changes how it handles, how it recoils, and how it feels when you shoot it. With that psuedo-pistol/thumbhole stock, it becomes a completely different gun. I was amazed at the difference.

Fibreforce stocks run about $50 from a variety of catalog places, and sometimes the local gun store will stock 'em. They're worth it, IMO, and I'd bet you wouldn't mind the investment.

Onmilo
September 19, 2004, 02:53 PM
Since you said cheapest I too have to go with a good SKS.

MoeMentum
September 19, 2004, 07:04 PM
SKS

tulsamal
September 19, 2004, 08:07 PM
I will agree that the SKS is cheap to buy and cheap to feed. But I have a Yugo and I have a Rock-Ola M1. I bought a couple cases of 7.62x39 for the SKS. Just about all of it is still here. The M1 gets to go out for "casual shooting" all the time. If only you could buy 1000 round cases of 30 Carbine for 7.62x39 prices! The Yugo is too long, too heavy, and the sights are too close to the dustcover. I can just barely acquire them before the blur of the cover comes up. I can admire the design by 1945 standards but I would much rather "just have fun" with an M1 Carbine!

Since I don't particularly care for the SKS and I have to admit the M1 isn't "cheap," what does that leave? I would say something in .223. Whether that means Mini 14 or some AK thing or what depends on you. But from the standpoint of price, accuracy, flat trajectory, size and weight of 500 rounds, and even ease and flexibility of reloading, .223 is VERY hard to beat as a "super plinker." I probably put more rounds through my AR than any other centerfire I own. And AR's aren't exactly expensive any more!

Gregg

meh92
September 19, 2004, 11:14 PM
Before I even started reading reply I was thinking... 10/22. I love all my rifles, but when it comes to plinking on the cheap, the little Ruger is hard to beat and ridiculously reliable.

roscoe
September 20, 2004, 12:05 AM
Saig Saiga

cidirkona
September 20, 2004, 01:50 PM
I was thinking about getting one of those .308 siagas, anyone know anything about them? Looks like mags might be hard to find...

-Colin

cidirkona
September 20, 2004, 03:30 PM
Is it just me or do the saiga's not take AK stocks? Is the trigger frame further to the rear?

-Colin

jefnvk
September 21, 2004, 03:12 AM
In case you are a slow learner :neener: , SKS and 10/22

m39fan
September 21, 2004, 10:05 AM
Colin,
You are correct, partially. The Saiga's trigger guard IS further to the rear. However, in many/most Saiga's the "normal" holes are there, just hidden under a metal plate. It's very easy to convert a Saiga to "normal" AK specs (stock/pistol grip) but to do it legally you have to replace several parts with US made parts. Not too bad cost wise especially if you're a smart shopper. Time required ranges from 30min - 1.5 hours depending on the one doing the conversion.

So this is on topic, I vote for the SKS as the cheapest, most reliable (under $150). The 7.62x39 Saiga next ($170 from SOG). And to be different (and honest) my favorite is my Egyptian FN-49 in 8mm. Cheap to shoot, does as well/feels like a Garand but ensures you don't look like everyone else. $250+

HTH,
Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest fun and dependable autoloader rifle?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!