# rounds without hearing protection?

PDA

griz
September 17, 2004, 09:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many rounds a year are you subjected to without any hearing protection? This includes everything, forgetting ears at the range, the guy next to you who says "fire in the hole" just before he fires, hunting, and I guess any intentional rounds if any. Not real scientific, but we'll exclude 22 LR from a rifle and include 22 from a handgun and everything else.

For me it's a couple of surprize rounds and a couple of hunting rounds in a typical year.

If you enjoyed reading about "# rounds without hearing protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jefnvk
September 17, 2004, 09:44 PM
More than 50. Duck Hunting takes its toll, and yes, I know its bad.

kudu
September 17, 2004, 09:53 PM
I voted 15-50

I seem to catch a lot of surprise rounds. I am usually at the shotgun club at least every other week and get the occasional one that I forget to put my ears in. But in my defense the majority of shots I hear is from adjacent fields when I have my plugs out. Then there is the shots that I run out the back door to shoot a varmint in the back yard and don't bother to put in ear plugs, plus the occasional hunting shots.

Mulliga
September 17, 2004, 10:21 PM
Honestly, I hear a lot of rounds, especially when we shoot at Gator Skeet and Trap. The shotgun boom seems to cause little or no ringing in the ears, but I'm pretty sure damage is still being done. The worst, of course, is hearing an AR-15 go off nearby - yipes! I honestly hope I never have to use my Bushie in self-defense, if only to save the wear and tear on my eardrums...:p

Warbow
September 17, 2004, 10:39 PM
None! If I know I'm going to be around firearms, I bring hearing protection.

I've already got a mild case of tinnitus from not using plugs when I was a kid (plus other loud things such as dirt bikes, chainsaws, etc.) Wear those plugs and muffs, you really don't want tinnitus.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 17, 2004, 10:49 PM
My hearing has fallen off enough over the years, what with competition years ago, range time, rock and roll, racing, hot rods and the like.

I even wear muffs when running my lawnmower and weedeater.

Tinnitus is the worst part of it, not just the loss of hearing.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Kenneth Lew
September 17, 2004, 11:23 PM
Over 10,000 indoors. I use suppressors.

1911Ron
September 17, 2004, 11:33 PM
Years ago I shot about 8 rnds from a Delta Elite for the cool factor Yikes:what: :what: Needless to say my ears rang for a long while, never again.

cratz2
September 17, 2004, 11:40 PM
None in a couple years. I've put a few rounds of 230 gr ball through various 1911s with no hearing protection. Not as bad as many others. Of course, subsonic vs supersonic is a consideration.

Mulliga mentioned ARs... One of the more amazing things I've witnessed is the difference in the same 223 ammo (2700fps) from a 26" Savage bolt rifle and a braked AR. Unbelievable difference. While I wouldn't look forward to the Savage without hearing protection, the AR was just nearly impossible.

chetrogers
September 17, 2004, 11:40 PM
Around 10.New Years Eve i usually party with some neighors who dont drink and They always shoot something at midnight here in ORegon

Stevie-Ray
September 18, 2004, 12:41 AM
Usually 1 or 2. Surprises, of course. I never want to be without hearing protection, as I am already going nerve deaf. It runs in the family, though I have it to a much lesser degree than my poor sister. I've also been on the giving end of this. Let a man know that I was going to start firing during a shoot at an outdoor range where only me, and him and his boy were present. He must have ignored me because when I fired my SAR-48 I happened to looked over and his son was laughing. The man was furiously putting on a pair of muffs, looked at me and said, "That hurts!" Well, I warned him.:o

shooten
September 18, 2004, 03:47 AM
I spend too many years playing guitar loud without earplugs. I've used all of my free spins.... 0 rounds for me if I can help it.

Scott

Feanaro
September 18, 2004, 04:42 AM
Normally none. But this year I was caught off-guard... standing right next to a Mosin Nagant... an M44. :scrutiny: I bought a Coke about ten minutes later and had trouble hearing the fellow over the counter.

threeseven
September 18, 2004, 04:46 AM
I am for as close to zero as possible.

I copped one so far this year, standing around at a range where everybody SEEMED to be firing .22 rifles. Then the guy next to me, who had been quietly cleaning his gun the whole time, lets some obscene calibre rip downrange and I shat.

*pop* *pop* *pop* *pop* *BOOOOOOOM*

Smoke
September 18, 2004, 08:44 AM
Way more than 50. Mostly shootgun...some .22

Occasionally (5x?) a rifle but rarely.

Smoke - Can't hear worth a dang.

MP5
September 18, 2004, 08:47 AM
None so far. I wear double hearing protection, too (muffs over plugs). It's easy to permanently screw up your hearing. I've heard that every time your ears are left ringing from a loud noise, some permanent damage has been caused.

Bacchus
September 18, 2004, 08:59 AM
Huh? What did you say?

moredes
September 18, 2004, 10:26 AM
I was a range officer when a guy actually went out and puked after forgetting his earplugs.

Poor SOB was part of a military-base security team. During qualifications, in the gas-mask portion of the drill, he forgot his ears. Nine prone shooters, firing 3-round bursts, at 6 targets each, cut loose with their M-16's. All this, in an indoor range. He turned immediately upon "You may commence firing!!", and raised his hand. We thought he had an alibi; we couldn't see his ears nor hear him through the mask. I'd say it took him almost 30 seconds from 'commence firing' til he was up and out of the firing range.

We all laughed, but only a little. Ya had to feel sorry for him.

GigaBuist
September 18, 2004, 11:08 AM
I got an uncle that bought a .270 not too long ago. Actually he traded a 7mm mag of some kind for it. Nice, gun I guess and he likes it -- but it's pretty loud. He'll probably use ear plugs the next time he takes it out.

Whoa boy... I about crapped when I heard that come out of his mouth.

I get a few stray rounds when walking up to the firing line affronting my ears. I've got plenty of warning though, so I make the decision when to put on my muffs. Once or twice a year I might forget to put them back on before I resume firing myself. It's certainly not something I want to engage in regularly.

WhoKnowsWho
September 18, 2004, 12:00 PM
So far, the only time without hearing protection, which includes no fingers in my ears, none this year. But the year I went hunting for the first time with the shotgun, about 14 12 gauge shots without protection. Couldn't hear the quail with them on. So... I won't do it again until I get some electronic ones.

griz
September 18, 2004, 01:43 PM
I had the same thought about using the electronic ears for hunting. I bought a good set, but so far have been disappointed with the distracting background noise. Someone recommended using plugs under them, and I will try that this year.

ilcylic
September 18, 2004, 11:38 PM
I put one round through my .44 without earplugs (because I figured if I ever had to use it in the middle of the night I wouldn't have them) just to see what it was like. Not pleasant, let me say that.

Other than that intentional experiment, I try for as close to zero as I can get.

-Ogre

joab
September 19, 2004, 12:05 AM
Zero
I learned my lesson a few years ago and the tinnitus is always there to remind me.
If I'm at a range I have earplugs in if I'm firing or near the line I have muffs over them

Joey2
September 19, 2004, 07:57 AM
Since we use the National Guard range we are required to use hearing protection.

When I go shoot off the range I do not use hearing protection. I am out in the open so the noise dissapates.

I have been doing without ear plugs, etc, while shooting for over 50 yrs. and no appreciable hearing loss, except when my wife asks me something.;)

BluesBear
September 19, 2004, 08:40 AM
It seems that way too many people at my favorite indoor range just can't quite grasp the concept of
ONE DOOR AT A TIME!

I didn't count .22 rimfire from a handgun outdoors, since most of those shot without ears are either .22 Short, CB Cap or Colibri.

If you enjoyed reading about "# rounds without hearing protection?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!