how many guns are hidden from family?

PDA

blowsomethingup
February 22, 2003, 02:01 AM
ok guys fess up.
how many guns do you hide from your wife/gf because they will shoot you with them if they only knew:):)

If you enjoyed reading about "how many guns are hidden from family?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
firestar
February 22, 2003, 02:09 AM
Sometimes I lie about the price but I tell my wife about every gun I get. I just can't stop talking when it comes to guns. Everyone knows when I get a new one.

PlayTheAces
February 22, 2003, 02:15 AM
Honest, I don't hide any. Really!

Wifey really doesn't have much interest in the numbers, as long as I keep everything locked up securely.

On the other hand, I don't care how many purses she buys, and really don't care to know how many she has. I've bought guns for less than she blows on some purses.

We're both pretty easy going in that respect.

cratz2
February 22, 2003, 02:17 AM
Sometimes I may delay telling the wife about a new acquisition. And I've heard of some guys telling their significant others that they've just never seen a gun that is in fact new but I don't think I know anyone that's actually hidden a gun. :scrutiny:

22x9
February 22, 2003, 02:24 AM
Basically, what playtheaces said.

As long as the guns are secured in the safe, she doesn't care or want to know what's in there.

Trouble is, the safe is full and I want to get 2 more rifles and have no more room.

10-Ring
February 22, 2003, 02:28 AM
I haven't liked about any of them :) ....honest ;)

cardboardkiller
February 22, 2003, 02:30 AM
I can't hide any, she has the combination to the safe.:banghead:

JMLV
February 22, 2003, 02:32 AM
I don't worry about it. However Nobody but nobody has any idea how many or what type ALL of my guns are.
Current answer to those rude enough to ask(Usually after expressing disbeleaf that I have more than 1 or 2) is more than onw less than a thousand! That gets em going I can tell you. what could you possobly do with all those guns" There outa be a law against that" "That CAN'T be legal!" and of course my favorite "When you come to kill all the people in the office call me so I don't come in that day" Lets face it I work with some pretty warped folks apprently.

Hkmp5sd
February 22, 2003, 02:47 AM
None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

badgerrr
February 22, 2003, 04:19 AM
"I can't hide any, she has the combination to the safe."

Me too! :uhoh:

Probably should hide the Bearcat. The little woman rather fancys that little Ruger.....(she's surprisingly good with it too)

Kharn
February 22, 2003, 10:51 AM
My Mom thinks I own an 870, an AR, a .22 and an SKS. She doesnt know about the 2nd SKS, the 1911, the other 5 AR15s (4 are stripped lowers, so they dont really count), the AK or FAL. My problem is, the gunsafe is full, and my mom will occasionally be inspired to clean/paint/whatever my room when I am away at college, so my hiding spots are limited.

Kharn

trapshooter
February 22, 2003, 11:02 AM
If you feel the need to lie to your wife, you have bigger problems than inventory, in my opinion. Time to check your hole card. If you are worried about it, maybe it's because you know she'd not agree, probably due to the money. I look at it like hidden drinking. What have you got to hide?

My bride doesn't care what I buy, she just wants me to control things in such a way as to not drive us into bankruptcy court. Which, lacking controls, I would be able to do. I have a want list that could push us there, easily. It's endless. I could burn through 50 grand on guns in a day, if I had it to spend, and the next day I'd want another one. If you hang out much at the gun shop, the temptation is always there.

It's called self-control.

OTOH, some guys don't have a money issue, and they just don't worry about telling the wife, because it truly is inconsequential, in her mind. I wish I was there. That isn't a big deal.

I don't hide what I buy from the kids, either, as they like the things, too. Maybe not as much as me, I don't really know. But I think they need to know whats in the safe, too, and how to use them, if necessary.

Again, these are just my thoughts on the issue. I'm not pointing fingers, because I am pretty termpted all the time, too. It's not what you think, it's what you do, that's important.

Riphalman
February 22, 2003, 11:39 AM
Anyone who's lying to their spouse about something as mundane as that ought to be re-evaluating his/her priorities. Just why are you in that marriage?

DeltaElite
February 22, 2003, 12:39 PM
The advantage of buying Glocks, is that they all look alike and the misses doesn't know how many I really have. :neener:

coonan357
February 22, 2003, 01:11 PM
Not married and When I have a GF they don't know what my finances are , Plus I set up a Litle budget out of my payccheck ( when I recieve one ) for my hobbies , only problem is my hobby funds have been getting diverted to paying other bills , so lately I haven't had much to spend .. I only once got myself in a predicament with this arrangement , so she had to spend on me that weekend. :D

ajacobs
February 22, 2003, 01:39 PM
what no "more than 75" choice. I fall in that catagory.

seeker_two
February 22, 2003, 01:43 PM
She's gonna find out about them, anyway...:D

Besides, she expects me to buy occasionally. If I don't, she'll think I'm spending it on fast horses & faster women...:evil:

Soap
February 22, 2003, 01:59 PM
Zero are hidden from the wife. Honesty is the best policy. In return, I suppose the only ones I don't know about are the ones that she buys me as gifts that I haven't received yet :D

jcinkc
February 22, 2003, 02:17 PM
I don't hide my guns from my SO, but she and I enable a friend of ours to have a collection without his wife's knowledge. (Her aversion to any type of firearm borders on the irrational.)

tetchaje1
February 22, 2003, 02:50 PM
(Her aversion to any type of firearm borders on the irrational.)

Bingo.

You people who are so judgmental against the others of us here who hide guns from our wives obviously have never had to deal with this problem.

The issue isn't money -- its the fact that it is a gun.

Divorce isn't an option over such a stupid reason, so the exact number of guns that I own is a cloudy impression to the missus.

Captain Bligh
February 22, 2003, 02:56 PM
Well you asked "are hidden," not "were hidden." I get around to telling sooner or later. But, I feel no compunction to tell in the first day/week/month a gun follows me home.

Having kids that you take to the range with you is a real detriment that will narc you out every time. Over dinner, "Hey Dad, have you shot your new gun yet?" "I've been meaning to tell your mother about that." :o

RJ

Edward429451
February 22, 2003, 03:02 PM
I dont lie to my wife. She deserves more respect than that. Of couse, my wife likes guns so I can only try to see the logic that was made about wives who dont like guns. I'm trying, but it still sounds like a looking for justification excuse. Sorry.

Gila Jorge
February 22, 2003, 03:16 PM
A 200-300 revolver is inconsequential: wife does not care. Now when I go to buy a shotgun for 2000-3000 that is of consequence and she knows all about it. So its dollar related and level of consequence....similarly I don;t ask her about stuff she wants or picks up daily, weekly, or weakly. But if it matters then we each know. She
and I were at a gun show and saw a deluxe 71 348 engraved for 1300...I started to walk away and she said I should get it....well, I got it.

geegee
February 22, 2003, 03:23 PM
Today? None. But come Thursday, I think I'll have a new Belgian friend that may need to be sneaked into the house. Shhhhh! ;) geegee

Mastrogiacomo
February 22, 2003, 03:30 PM
My friends know I have guns, but my parents don't. My father hinted one time that they'd be "nervous" if they knew there were firearms in the house. I figured, why make them nervous? So I've never said anything. I keep them in my closet which is a royal pain but I've no other choice since my mother goes through my room cleaning the floors sometimes. I'm thirty something so it's my choice, but since I've been unemployed for three years -- I have a gut feeling they'd shoot me with my own guns if they knew I had them...and what they cost collectively!:what: I didn't vote but I have one revolver and two Berettas. My father still thinks I've been saving up for a weapon -- a shotgun since I've mentioned about wanting to get into shooting clays. If only he knew I've had all of these guns for close to a year now -- except the shotgun which I've been eyeing... :evil:

pax
February 22, 2003, 03:33 PM
If you cannot be honest with the person you live with, you don't have a spouse. You have a roommate.

Of course, if you like her, you want to keep her around so you're going to do what you gotta do in order to keep her happy. That's understandable.

But it's not much of a marriage if you can't be honest with each other.

pax

You can't stay married in a situation where you are afraid to go to sleep in case your wife might cut your throat. -- Mike Tyson

denfoote
February 22, 2003, 03:53 PM
Hell, the only reason I'd hide a gun from my wife is that if she happened to like it, she might snag it!! My Glock 26 and Kel-Tek P32 have already fallen victim to this!!! :D Ain't wives wonderful!!! :neener:

tetchaje1
February 22, 2003, 04:36 PM
How's this then for those of you who feel like you can make judgments even though you are not in the same situation as other people here.

My wife hates guns. She barely tolerates them in the house with the caveat that she doesn't see them. It has taken 3 years of gentle persuasion to get to this point and I consider myself fortunate.

Eventually she finds out about everything. She knows that I have more guns than she knows about, but she also knows that I am unwilling to tell her the exact number because it isn't worth the fight. I do not use any money that is normally budgeted for our living expenses. I buy and sell guns regularly, so the inventory is always changing anyway. She knows that I do this. Her only comment is usually, "just make sure that you are doing it legally."

Personally, I don't think that it is anybody else's place to deal out judgment about what they think is a healthy marriage. My wife and I are happy and satisfied with our relationship. Just because what works for us isn't the way that you would do it doesn't mean it is wrong. I think some of you need to get out of the shrink's chair... :barf:

Mastrogiacomo
February 22, 2003, 04:48 PM
I agree. I've always felt what people don't know won't hurt them. In my case, as long as the guns are locked away and secure, why should I announce I have them? I didn't buy them for anyone but me. Some people may not feel comfortable with the idea of guns in the home, such as my parents. I still have a right to own what I've paid for. If I were in a relationship, I'd be honest with my boyfriend. After that, it's really none of his business what I'm spending my money on. As for married couples: if the bills are paid and the children are fed, clothed and taken care of -- nobody's business what you do with the extras. :cool:

4v50 Gary
February 22, 2003, 05:31 PM
Just don't count them. That way you can honestly reply that you don't know how many you've got. Mine are all stored in safes.

trapshooter
February 22, 2003, 05:37 PM
Hey, folks. I'm not being judgemental. In fact, the 'anti' relative (wife, parent, kids, whatever) argument is persuasive. Think of it as a 'lesser harm' situation. That is one instance where I would be lieing my posterior off, and not losing too much sleep over it, maybe.

Look, checking views on guns was not at the top of my list when I was in 'seek' mode, so I can understand that. It's not a good situation, but no reason to bail, certainly. If your wife can deal with it on an 'out-of-sight/mind' basis, then what the heck? (Believe me, though, unless she's brain-dead, she knows. She's just accomodating you in her own way).

cookhj
February 22, 2003, 06:19 PM
guns? what guns? oh, those......ummm.....i've had those for months! :D

Coffee357
February 22, 2003, 08:32 PM
Kinda like cratz2, I sometimes delay telling or embellish the
extent of the "great deal!" I got. I have a fund set aside just for
gun stuff with the wife's blessing but she gets upset about the
amount I spend (even though it doesn't come out of the general
fund). The money in the fund wouldn't go anywhere else, anyway,
she just doesn't really appreciate just how expensive this hobby
is. Also, like cratz2, I can't keep my mouth shut for long. Like my
new toys and gotta show off!

Coffee

Standing Wolf
February 22, 2003, 09:13 PM
It's just me and my cute little, fuzzy little imaginary kitty, and she's scared witless of scissors.

If you enjoyed reading about "how many guns are hidden from family?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!