Hot Ammo for Luger?

PDA

Drakejake
September 18, 2004, 12:33 AM
I have read conflicting opinions about what kind of ammo the Luger was intended to use. Is the appropriate ammo basically the standard 9MM of today or something hotter, perhaps +P? Does the Luger's toggle system work best with ammo which is more powerful than that currently used by civilians in the U.S.?

Thanks,

Drakejake

If you enjoyed reading about "Hot Ammo for Luger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
denfoote
September 18, 2004, 03:56 AM
The only ammo I could get to function in my Luger was the old PMP 9mm stuff that you can't get any more because the sociallist Government in SA has determined that they can't export the stuff!!

Cawdor
September 18, 2004, 08:19 AM
I've read on a board that the original 9mm specification was 1300 fps.

If you are looking for hotter 9mm, try M882 (http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productList&ammoRecID=2&brand=FA&subgroup=592&CFID=893843&CFTOKEN=35473991).

Onmilo
September 18, 2004, 11:23 AM
Natchez Shooter Supply, Glen Zanders, and the Sportsmens Den carry GECO 9mm 124grn FMJ which is some of the hottest 9mm ammunition available in the USA.
It is recommended for Luger pistols.
Provided you can't find this stuff then Sellier and Bellot 9mm in 115 or 124 fmj loadings are pretty darn close.
Any of this stuff will provide the oomph to cycle your Luger. HTH Milo

Wildalaska
September 18, 2004, 01:31 PM
Ditto on Geco

WildlookinferasimsonlugeragainAlaska

Blueduck
September 18, 2004, 02:43 PM
Just repeating internet info, but I heard the millitary Lugers tended to need rather hot ammo to function, but the pre-war versions did fine and had less parts breakage with standard pressure ammo.

I've used a lot of Geco with good results, but might note my last bunch of it at least was steel jacketed if that might affect you (some indoor ranges ban steel jacketed ammo, even pistol rounds).

If you enjoyed reading about "Hot Ammo for Luger?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!