PT-145: are they any better?

PDA

Grayrider
September 18, 2004, 04:20 PM
Gents,

I handled a PT-145 today. Neat little gun for CCW, but having read the reviews I am not sure I would want to chance it. Anyone know if Taurus has fixed the frame cracking and parts breakage? This was the Millenium Pro version.

GR

If you enjoyed reading about "PT-145: are they any better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lennyjoe
September 18, 2004, 07:44 PM
So far no reports of frame cracks on the new Mil Pro. The trigger seems to be alot better as well.

Heck, Im even thinking of getting one.

Hypnogator
September 19, 2004, 12:56 AM
I've had my PT-145 Millennium Pro for about a year and a half. Digests everything I put through it. Quite accurate, trigger is good for a DAO autoloader carry piece. I have about 600 rds of hardball and premium hollow points (mostly hydra-shoks) through mine, with no signs of frame cracking, excessive wear, etc. I recently acquired a couple of extra magazines for it, and both functioned perfectly.

I'm happy with mine. Try it -- you'll like it! :D

wally
September 19, 2004, 11:41 AM
I have a new non-Pro PT145 No problems so far. I got it instead of the Pro version because it was noticably lighter when compared side-by side. Its also got a very good trigger.

I think as long as you get a recent production gun you'll be fine with it. Nothing else in its size/power/capacity range until you get over 2X more in price.

--wally.

Lennyjoe
September 19, 2004, 12:43 PM
A gunshop here has them for $329. Might have to put one in layaway;)

Flashpoint
September 19, 2004, 12:53 PM
On the non-pro ones what kind of serial numbers do we need to look for?

wally
September 19, 2004, 01:18 PM
On the non-pro ones what kind of serial numbers do we need to look for?

I wish I knew. Mine is "stainless" slide # NWG 88xxx
my PT111 is black slide # TVG 31xxx

Once letter prefixes are added to the mix, its hard to do anything other than guess the sequence of numbers :(

--wally

Hypnogator
September 19, 2004, 08:47 PM
Check older threads on The Firing Line. I recall one that had Taurus's serial number progression decrypted.

Lennyjoe
September 20, 2004, 12:51 AM
On the non-pro ones what kind of serial numbers do we need to look for
Here's some threads from the last PT-145 discussion on TFL

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89362&page=1&pp=25&highlight=145+Serial+Numbers

"According to this dealer, the three "alpha digits" that your PT-145's seial number begins with designates the year and month of manufacture, with the third letter designating the month. If the third letter in your serial number is an "A," your pistol was manufactured in January. If the third letter in the serial number is a "B," then your pistol was manufactured in February, and so on through the letter "L."

"a bad batch of polymer frames occuring somewhere before the serial no.s NUG...."

"BTW, serial numbers beginning with NUIxxxx and later should be fine"

One last site you might want to try is http://www.pt145.com/

Smurfslayer
September 20, 2004, 06:38 PM
I've detailed my PT145 woes previously, but in summary...

Problems w/ light primer hits on my reloads. Both other .45's ok.
Problems feeding commercial, multiple bands.

This is across multiple range trips and fairly controlled conditions...

This gun is accurate, very much so for it's size, and I do like the ergos.
It does leap a little more than my Witness compact, but it's much smaller and lighter. I would really like a reliable version of this gun for carry...

Unfortunately, the one I have isn't that gun.

wally
September 20, 2004, 06:59 PM
Problems w/ light primer hits on my reloads. Both other .45's ok.
Problems feeding commercial, multiple bands.

Check the primer seating on your reloads. Some guns often can finish seating them and still set them off, others can't.

What brands are mis-feeding?

I'd send it back to Taurus with a letter (and photos if possible) describing the ammo brands that are mis-feeding. Assuming you've tried at least two different magazines as 90+% of autoloader feeding problems is bad mags.

My PT145 has no trouble with 230 gr Golden Saber or Hydrashok JHP. Haven't tried other brands yet as these are what I have stocked up on for carry.

--wally.

sevenpoint62mm
September 22, 2004, 02:17 AM
Checkout http://www.pt145.com and read up. Depending on your serial you might have one of the new (fixed) ones. The frames were changes in mid 2001 fixing the issue

If you enjoyed reading about "PT-145: are they any better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!