Need help with a Chinese Paratroop SKS

PDA

Doug S
September 18, 2004, 05:48 PM
I picked up a paratroop model today at a gun show. I have a number of questions concerning some oddities I noticed on this rifle. I would appreciate it if any of you could check out the link below & help me out. Thanks for any help.http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288408

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with a Chinese Paratroop SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
September 18, 2004, 07:25 PM
As far as I know, the paratrooper model was not actually issued to airborne troops - it was a name given to a shortened Chinese SKS version made specifically for import into the US. The importer called it a 'paratrooper' model to make it sound swoopy. I am about 99 44/100s percent sure that the Para was strictly a commercial model.

The lack of matching numbers on the receiver cover isn't a problem, and doesn't really mean anything. Most of the Norincos I've seen (including the ones in my safe) don't have S/Ns on the receiver cover. The lack of a match on the bolt SHOULDN'T be an issue - my Norinkos are all mismatching and all function fine. You can always check the headspace if you're really worried.

The stock repairs are common, and the reason that the bayonet is gone is that it doesn't fit any more. When the Chinese cut doen the barrel to make it to the importer specs, they found that the bayonet didn't have anough room to fold into the stock any more. I've never seen one with the bayonet stock splice in it - that's actually kinda cool.

You paid about average for a standard Norinco, and a bit less than I've seen the Paras going for lately.

Sounds like a good find. :)

Doug S
September 18, 2004, 07:45 PM
rbernie,

Thank you very much for the info, especially the bolt information. That is my primary concern. It is also nice to know that the price was in line w/ the average para model. I had a feeling I might have been "taken".

NevadaPistolero
September 19, 2004, 10:17 PM
I have a norinco para model with the bayonet, the wood has the cutout for the spike blade also and it has the bayonet on it. Wood is excellent orange color(not thumbhole stock).

ScottsGT
September 19, 2004, 11:32 PM
As far as the mount being cut off, it's a later import. Suprised they filled the stock though. Sounds like a previous owner got bored? I got one from my brother that accepted AK magazines. But a Advanced Technologies stock on it, a muzzel brake and polished the bolt. They are made of stainless. Looked real good, but I gave it back to him for the M1 Carbine I traded him for it.

scbair
September 20, 2004, 05:02 PM
Your photos show the bayonet lug actually removed (filed down). That's consistent with the "Cowboy's Companion" model marketed some years ago (Navy Arms import, maybe :confused: ). The "Paratrooper" SKS had a shortened bayonet still mounted (as best I can recall).

I picked up a Cowboy's Companion years ago, and it shoots as well as my two full-sized SKS models. Neat and handy little knockaround rifle.:D

Doug S
September 20, 2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Scbair,

I picked up the book "The SKS Carbine" by Steve Kehaya & Hoe Poyer. According to this book, both the Cowboy Companion & Paratrooper models had both a bayonet & scope rail. My carbine does have a small amount of the mount left which is holding in the cleaning rod. I've also seen some pictures of these models with the mount completely removed. It also states that the CC was intended as a saddle gun, & although I can't seem to find it right now, I remember reading the the Cowboy companion model has a saddle ring on it. Is this true of your carbine? Mine has no saddle ring. I've been doing no small amound of internet surfing trying to dig up information on my rifle. There seems to be a lot of variation within Chinese rifles even of the same model. As far as I can tell though, it seems that a fair number of para models do have a smaller bayonet mounted. I've not had any responses from CC model owners until yours. I am most interested to hear if your rifle does or did have a saddle ring.

A member over on the SKS forums has indicated that my particular rifle was cut down from a 1970's Peoples Liberation Army carbine for import by Navy Arms. I'm not sure how he derived this info though.

JA
September 20, 2004, 07:59 PM
In the mid-late 1980's Navy Arms started importing SKS rifles with 16" barrels. They were new production SKS rifles with the 20" barrels cut down to 16". They had the same bayonet as the standard SKS rifle but were shortened to fit into the groove in the underside of the stock.
To distingish them from standard SKS rifles with 20" barrels Navy Arms gave them the model name of "Paratrooper" in their ads. Other importers and wholesalers started using the name also in thier ads. At the time photo's were not used in Navy Arms ads but drawings. You had to look really close to see that the drawing of the SKS below the standard SKS in the ad had a 4" shorter barrel.
The SKS book is wrong as the Paratrooper never came with a scope mount rail. But was a standard SKS with 4" cut off the barrel and the bayonet shortened.
The Cowboys Companion was a standard SKS with a 20" barrel that had a bipod,scope,and mount. They also imported SKS rifles that had 20" or 16" barrels with several options such as bipods,scopes/mounts,and 20rd magazines depending on the model. Two other models Navy Arms imported were the Hunters Companion and Ranchers Friend.

Doug S
September 20, 2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the info JA.

scbair
September 21, 2004, 09:03 AM
Sorry to disagree, JA, but my Cowboy's Companion has a 16" barrel, scope mount (the small side rail) and no bipod.

A portion of the bayonet lug remains, with a small screw added that helps secure the cleaning rod. The screw holes to secure the bayonet are ground off. No saddle ring (nice idea, though! :D ).

I clearly recall reading some articles in the gun mags about the Cowboy's Companion. It was definitely chopped to carbine length, and (I believe) this was done to market in the USA.

JA
September 21, 2004, 12:58 PM
Not having a Cowboys Companion I am going by what I remember from the Navy Arms ads in Shotgun News. Also the flyers that were sent to me by Navy Arms when I ordered ammo/magazines/parts from them in the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Scbair,
When did you buy your Cowboys Companion?
Did you get it new in the box and is the rifle or manual marked Cowboys Companion?

deputy tom
September 21, 2004, 03:24 PM
Doug S,that is a Cowboy's Companion.I sent you an e-mail re: that particular SKS.tom.

Doug S
September 21, 2004, 11:15 PM
Deputy Tom,

Thanks for the note. I just sent a response.

Doug

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help with a Chinese Paratroop SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!