The Rifle Gods Smile Upon Cosmoline

PDA

Cosmoline
September 18, 2004, 07:19 PM
It's about time I had a bit of good luck, after having to recently sell off most of my best firearms for cash. Well today I got a bit of it. I found an unissued, absolutely pristine condition Jalkavaenkivaari 91/30 with a Czarist receiver and a Tikkakoski barrel. Comes complete with a pre-fitted fiberglass sporter stock to swap out with the original stock for field use. Shoots like a dream. I didn't have a chance to bench rest shoot it yet but it banged the gong at 300 meters every time.

I always preferred the balance of the 91/30 to the barrel-heavy Finns, but of course I found the Finns to be better rifles in most cases. This rifle combines the best of both worlds, with a perfectly balanced barrel-light design, a very nice stock and an accurized action.

Now, if my luck holds the Nagant revolver I recently ordered will have a [SA] stamp on it and I can be all Finnish, all the time.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Rifle Gods Smile Upon Cosmoline" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skofnung
September 19, 2004, 01:32 AM
and I can be all Finnish, all the time.

Make sure to get a nice Pukko to go with the guns. :) Then you can have the whole kit.

Zeke Menuar
September 19, 2004, 01:42 AM
How about a few pics?

ZM

wasrjoe
September 19, 2004, 02:25 AM
Did you have to sell your camera, too? :p

Route 66
September 19, 2004, 10:29 AM
What's a Pukko? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Dave Markowitz
September 19, 2004, 11:55 AM
It's a Finnish knife:

http://cutlerscove.com/hunting-knives/images/puukko-fin.jpg

Cosmoline
September 20, 2004, 01:05 PM
Got the knife taken care of, too. I have one of the Norwegian stainless Finn-style blades, but I can't get it to take an edge and it's been relegated to kitchen duty. On the back page of the Backwoodsman, however, I found an ad for a vintage pukko complete with a rusty old high-carbon blade. Since I started my adventure in the woods, I've learned to appreciate rust as a sign of quality. My best knives all have a rusty patina and will hold razor edges.

Cosmoline
September 20, 2004, 01:16 PM
Pics soon--gotta swipe the good ditigal camera from the SO. I'll do a full layout after the first snow.

I did some more shooting with the rifle and I'm more convinced than ever that it is the greatest Mosin design of them all. The stock has a short enough length of pull that I'm able to cycle the bolt without breaking the weld. And the extra long barrel (4" longer than a regular 91/30) seems to agree with the 54R. There's little noise (for a rifle) and minimal flash. I assume because all the powder is getting used up along the way. It's far easier to tote than an M-39 or M-28 but has their accuracy. I had long been removing the top handguard and extra metal from M-39's as a way of improving balance and reducing weight, and whoever made this rifle had the same idea--there is no handguard. It's not missing, the bands are actually designed to clamp down without one.

Sven
November 13, 2004, 09:13 PM
Cosmo - did you ever take any pics of this rifle for us?

Okiecruffler
November 14, 2004, 01:06 AM
Okay, spill it, where'd you find it and do they have anymore. I have the credit card out and the wife isn't looking. :uhoh:

Cosmoline
November 14, 2004, 01:38 AM
Well as it turned out there was egg on my face over this one. It was NOT a 91/30 Finn but a late-model M-91 Finn. The differences are in the length, rear sight design and parts of the stock. So I pretty much couldn't show my face at the Mosin Nagant forums for awhile :uhoh:

But still, it's an awesome rifle. I'll grab a pic or two of it the next time I've got the camera and it together. I've fully winterized it with a thin layer of grease along the barrel and the receiver, plus tons of wax on the stock. Water beads up off of it. I've shot a few smaller animals with the FMJ ball, and it does a good number on ptarmigan. I'll have to wait for next spring before I can try it on larger game. I have a mind to take it caribou hunting just to be different and upset other hunters.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Rifle Gods Smile Upon Cosmoline" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!